I'm looking for...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

I'm looking for...

Post by wsherman »

I am looking for a garment with the following features:
a. made of denim material.
b. presenting a kilt like appearance in front.
c. pleated either with box pleats or with pleats sweeping in from right and left meeting in a box pleat at the center.
c. two slash pockets and two set in hip pockets.
d. closure done by either snaps or Velcro.
d. I d not want cargo pockets spoiling the line.

Ok there it is the garment I've been contemplating. Does anyone know where I may find or make this vision come true? Frankley I need to watch the price and endeavor to keep it below $100.00 USD.

Am I pipe dreaming or is this possible and where? Your comments and help are welcome!

Slainte!
Bill & Sir Brinkley the exuberant!
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I'm looking for...

Post by Kirbstone »

Bill,
You would require to have such a garment tailor made to your design. I have had some, one in denim, made that way by a tailor in the Netherlands. The problem (on this side of the Pond at least) is price.
My last denim pleated skirt with big pockets &c came to 180 Euros, which is more than twice your budget.

Slainte, Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

wsherman wrote:I am looking for a garment with the following features:
a. made of denim material.
b. presenting a kilt like appearance in front.
c. pleated either with box pleats or with pleats sweeping in from right and left meeting in a box pleat at the center.
c. two slash pockets and two set in hip pockets.
d. closure done by either snaps or Velcro.
d. I d not want cargo pockets spoiling the line.

Ok there it is the garment I've been contemplating. Does anyone know where I may find or make this vision come true? Frankley I need to watch the price and endeavor to keep it below $100.00 USD.

Am I pipe dreaming or is this possible and where? Your comments and help are welcome!

Slainte!
Bill & Sir Brinkley the exuberant!
OK line by line:
a. - this is doable within budget - but the material is sure tough to work with.
b. - this also is doable and within budget.
c. - box pleats or one direction knife pleats possible - but a complex reverse direction maybe too much to ask.
Too many pleats and the more the material and the expense (suggestion keep it simple) also factor if you are of Ahem 'large(r) size more material required.
c. - pockets are always going add to the price; consider only two interior pockets but that may be pushing the budget - or skip them altogether 'Kilts don't have pockets'!
d. - absolutely within budget - personally prefer the Velcro much more size adjustment possibilities - skip the snaps and buckled belts.
d. - I agree no exterior pockets resulting in clean lines and thus perhaps keeping the project within budget.

I feel that trying to achieve all this under $100 with shipping & handling is going to be a real task.
Might research sellers on ebay who may be able to do this - BUT AVOID fabricators from Pakistan or India.
The price might be entertaining but the cost will be eaten up by the shipping & handling aspect - ALSO these middle eastern
folks don't know that people come in 3 dimensions and are not like paper doll cut outs that are applied over a 2 dimensional form.
Egads the ill fitting stuff they sell and then wonder why you no like - it no fit #$@&%* !

Another possibility to research talk to the people at SportKilt:

http://sportkilt.com/

See if they would be willing to work with you on this - only difference is the denim material instead of a tartan.
The Velcro pleating and pockets they do that stuff - they do not do snaps but why bother !

Good Luck !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

wsherman wrote:?..Does anyone know where I may find or make this vision come true? Frankley I need to watch the price and endeavor to keep it below $100.00 USD.

Am I pipe dreaming or is this possible and where?...
Any number of custom kilt makers would be glad to assemble this for you, but the $100 price limit is going to be a deal breaker. You'd probably need to pay $250 or so.

Pre-made, made-in-Pakistan, ship-from-stock kilts are available for $100 or less, but finding one with no cargo pockets would be awfully tough. Cargo pockets are usually the first one's added, not the last.

But here's one with removable cargo pockets, not exactly denim but heavy cotton...

http://www.utkilts.com/ut-wild-outdoor- ... lity-kilt/
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Caultron wrote:Pre-made, made-in-Pakistan, ship-from-stock kilts are available for $100 or less, but finding one with no cargo pockets would be awfully tough. Cargo pockets are usually the first one's added, not the last.
Presumably they could be removed with a stitch-ripper and would not leave visible marks. The question is whether you would want to risk doing that to a relatively expensive item.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I would like to be able to give a detailed answer to this, having ordered a plain kilt from Pakistan, which would correspond with your wishes, Bill, but unfortunately it still has not arrived two months after ordering.
The pockets shown in the photos do not detract from the smooth outline (otherwise, I quite agree, cargo pockets do tend to spoil the look of a kilt completely) aand as it is a wrap-round the exact size is not too important.
The transport firm (Skynet.net) claim to have attempted delivery and to have sent me a message, but I have received nothing. Still hoping!

Without seeing the article, it would be foolish of me to recommend the Pakistani supplier, but I feel it is unfair to put the Pakistanis down without evidence. It is probably due to some quirk of history dating from British occupation that the Sialkot area has specialized in the production of bagpipes and everything associated with pipe bands and Scottish paraphernalia. Perhaps not the highest quality goods, but they can,t be too bad or they would have gone out of business.

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I have no argument with the Pakistanis but ordering and receiving custom-made items from a third-world country is not the same experience as dealing with a domestic kilt maker.

The quality and fit of the Pakistani garments is generally poorer but they're 1/3 the price. And the turnaround time from domestic kilt makers can run into months as well.

Pick your poison.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Hello

Well it looks like I've got champagne tastes on a six pack budget! Thank-you gentlemen for your responses which I found helpful and informative. I think carl is right and Sport Kilt will be the best bet as the ultimate kilt is close to what I want and close to the price limitation.

Again allow me to express my thanks to you for the effort you put forth to give good advice to Me on this.

Slainte'
Bill & Sir Brinkley the Exubrant! The LeaderDog in my life.
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

My Dinkum Aussie kilt has box pleats, slash pockets, velcro closure but I have not planned to make it from Denim at this stage. My Original Freeman also had hip pockets through the fell of the pleats. I am not ready to quote on custom kilts at this stage and I am not sure if I would take on the problems of working in denim.

Maybe take a holiday to somewhere like Thailand or Malaysia where you can find custom suit makers and the like at budget prices.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I don't understand he fascination for box pleats, I remember reading that they don't swing as well as ordinary pleats and aren't they harder to keep ironed and in shape? They do look good though don't they?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Try Union Kilts. I have their dark blue denim kilt http://www.kilts.org/component/page,sho ... /Itemid,2/
and it ticks all your boxes except the pockets. There is one hip pocket and there are two external carpenter's pockets, but the company can do bespoke orders. Missing out the external pockets and adding a second hip pocket should be straightforward, but you would need to speak to them about adding slash pockets.

The pleats run in opposite directions on either side and meet in the centre with a box pleat.

Price is £50 (about $80) plus shipping so you might get it for close to $100.

Service can be a bit patchy. It appears to be a part-time business, as they only take phone calls after 6pm UK time and on Saturdays, and even then they don't always answer.

Quality of the kilt is fine - I'm very happy with mine. It is made of only about four yards of material, so there are not very many pleats, but depending on the climate where you live that might be a good thing!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

That looks excellent, so does the price, I have bookmarked them for future use myself.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I wanted to order from Unionkilts, finding their presentation very attractive, but found the delivery charges way beyond reasonable. At the time they proposed matching waistcoats with their kilts, but seem to have stopped offering them now. When I last looked, I could find no indication of P&P, so don,t know of they have reduced the charges at all.

Martin
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Unionkilt's P&P are still unreasonably high, Martin.
A few month ago I tried to order the Brushed Denim Tan kilt but I did not finish the check-out procedure: P&P were GBP 35 and the kilt was GBP 29,99.
Its just a short hop from Wales to The Netherlands!
Jan,