Different reactions to kilt and skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Different reactions to kilt and skirt

Post by skirtilator »

My Elkommando Kilt came recently back from alteration and it fits like a charm. :D People at my place don't even know the difference. :lol: As long it is unbifurcated and runs from the waist downwards the cave man assume that it is a skirt. ;) It makes no difference anyway.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

As long it is unbifurcated and runs from the waist downwards then it is a skirt. A kilt is just a style of skirt!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Somehow I don't really want to wear a kilt. I have a couple of knee length denims and they are heavy enough for me. A kilt would be heavier due to the woollen material. I aim to make a couple of utilikilts in a material similar in weight to denim and they will probably be heavy enough. I like clothes that are lightweight. I keep toying with plain ( albeit possibly in bright colours ) skirts made of chiffon but I don't really know if I dare as the material is very sheer even with a nylon lining. I keep seeing the skirts on ebay from China starting from 1p postage free. Hmmmm. 8) :shhh:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:I keep toying with plain ( albeit possibly in bright colours ) skirts made of chiffon but I don't really know if I dare as the material is very sheer even with a nylon lining. I keep seeing the skirts on ebay from China starting from 1p postage free. Hmmmm. 8) :shhh:
Chiffon, unless heavily layered, is way to sheer for anything but "boudoir" use. Layered, however, it produces enough visual noise by way of moire-patterning that with 3 or 4 layers one can get away with it if one is careful never to get backlit. With this sort of skirt, knickers are a must, preferably ones that match one's flesh-colour else they will show through.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

crfriend wrote: Chiffon, unless heavily layered, is way to sheer for anything but "boudoir" use. Layered, however, it produces enough visual noise by way of moire-patterning that with 3 or 4 layers one can get away with it if one is careful never to get backlit. With this sort of skirt, knickers are a must, preferably ones that match one's flesh-colour else they will show through.
Or, you can do what I did back when the skirt I wore almost every day was a black chiffon pleated above-knee number. Black half-slip. With that, it was opague enough that nothing showed through. It still was very airy and light, which was good, especially during the summer of 2009.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, well pointed out about the slip - even though lined the chiffon would still be too transparent and a half slip a must. I must admit that I like wearing a semi-slip - it has that silky aesthetic feel under the skirt, sort of decadent. If I can pick up a chiffon skirt extremely cheap from ebay I would probably consider one as an experiment. Thanks Crl for the warnings and a good viewing session in front of a mirror and bright light would be a must. Still considering it although with great caution.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Thanks Crl for the warnings and a good viewing session in front of a mirror and bright light would be a must. Still considering it although with great caution.
You're most welcome, as always.

My first skirt was one I made for myself out of a sheer window-curtain folded doubly so the finished article had three layers. It's transmissive, but the weave of the fabric is such that the visual "noise" produced prevents any details from showing. It's too short for any of the half-slips I've since procured, so when I wear it I do without. The biggest hassle -- by far -- is that unless I get underthings in a colour that closely approximates my skin the "print-through" is immediate and very apparent, with white being by far the worst offender even though the skirt is white.

My suspicion is that chiffon would behave in the same manner; layer it up and nothing indecent will show through, but one does have to be careful with the undergirdings lest what else you're wearing underneath be known to the world around you.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I know that we have to be a little more careful but if in doubt I always think what a woman would do. And I do carefully watch what women wear with skirts and how they wear them and how they move, bend down and so on. It's not that I want to move like a woman but to see how they preserve their modesty and avoid the slip-ups that, through inexperience, we may be prone to. So advice given or taken from any quarter, ideally before the event is always welcome. I've come across a yellow cotton circle skirt that has had the waistband taken off and one seam undone. The waist as it stands is far too small for me and I am thinking of putting in two wedge shaped inserts on either side and a waistband in a contrasting colour such as purple or bright blue and adding maybe two small pockets in the same material on the front more as decoration than useful. I need to improve my sewing skills.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:I know that we have to be a little more careful but if in doubt I always think what a woman would do. And I do carefully watch what women wear with skirts and how they wear them and how they move, bend down and so on.
One direct benefit of this is that wearing a skirt encourages one to bend at the knees for picking things up, and that's actually the best way to avoid back injury. I view this little tidbit as a big win.
I've come across a yellow cotton circle skirt that has had the waistband taken off and one seam undone. The waist as it stands is far too small for me and I am thinking of putting in two wedge shaped inserts on either side and a waistband in a contrasting colour such as purple or bright blue and adding maybe two small pockets in the same material on the front more as decoration than useful. I need to improve my sewing skills.
You have a couple of options here. One of which, as you state is to add triangles of fabric into the seams already in the skirt; another would be, if you're willing to shorten it a bit, to chop some more off where the waistband used to be (taking account the already opened seam) to the point where it will fit over your hips and then construct a new waistband at that point. The second option would have the benefit of providing some extra fabric in the same colour as the skirt proper for future work; however, if the "new" design calls for a contrasting waistband -- an interesting idea -- then the notion of having the extra fabric isn't meaningful.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Crl, the length of the skirt is about 16-17 inches so moving the waistband down by about an inch or so is a possibility but I haven't any material the same colour which is why I thought of the contrasting idea so I would have to look at the charity shops for an article of similar material to act as donor. Of course I could use a lighter yellow for the inserts/waistband or even white which would be less noticeable. My options are open at the moment and I will see what the charity shops provide. Thank you for the suggestions.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Caultron wrote:I think both the bagpipes question and the Scottish question often mask the more basic question, "Why are you wearing that skirt, or, um, kilt? I can't imagine why anyone would do that." So they ask me an evasive question, I give them a smile and an evasive answer.

If they manage to ask the real question, the closest real answer (at least for me) is, "I've been wearing pants all my life. I'm tired of it."
I was pondering this. I think a Skirtonian-instead of asking "Why"-would ask "why not?" I don't think that you could really explain an interest in skirts to someone who has none.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:
Caultron wrote:If they manage to ask the real question, the closest real answer (at least for me) is, "I've been wearing pants all my life. I'm tired of it."
I was pondering this. I think a Skirtonian-instead of asking "Why"-would ask "why not?" I don't think that you could really explain an interest in skirts to someone who has none.
I find that both arguments work, and work quite well, and that it depends on who you're talking to.

In my experience, guys deal best with a lead-in of, "Why not!" followed by a firmer justification of "why". Women, on the other hand, seem to prefer the "why" argument out of the gate. So it's best to have both in your quiver for that occasional question where, if you're really lucky, you may actually get a chance to sway minds.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Different reactions to kilt and skirts

Post by couyalair »

"Swaying minds"?

I can,t say I have had the opportuniTy to do that. In all the years I have worn kilts or skirts, I have never had the impression that anyone had the slightest inclination to follow my example. Indifference, yes; admiration, sometimes; "wow! Yes, that,ss the way to go!" -- no, never!

The only exception is within Scottish dancing/bagpiping circles, where men get themselves kilts ASAP. Outside GB, my example may have given the nudge they needed, or an address to order the garment, but otherwise I am quite sure I have never had the pleasure of gaining an adept to the world of crural comfort.

Unfortunately, physical comfort cannot be seen from without, only experienced.

Martin.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Different reactions to kilt and skirts

Post by Caultron »

couyalair wrote:...I have never had the impression that anyone had the slightest inclination to follow my example...
Really? I'm sure I had at least half a dozen guys approach me inthe last year and ask, "Is that a utility kilt? I keep thinking about getting one. Where did you get it?"

I have no way of knowing which of these, if any, ever followed up on this but at least they showed the interest and the acceptance.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Arizona must be full of broad-minded guys. Excellent!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair