I did it, I did it!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Equality Skirts

I did it, I did it!

Post by Equality Skirts »

Went out for the first time in a skirt two weeks ago last Saturday, with a repeat performance again today. It's amazing how invisble I must seem to the vast majority of people. "Hello everyone man in a skirt here and you haven't even realised!"

I was out about half an hour at the shops this afternoon. First woman I walked past noticed and gave me what appeared to be a smile of approval. Later on I was collared by a young man and a girl on a stall in the precinct trying to sell me Talk Talk TV and phone. However when I told them about the broadband deal I get from Virgin, and the fact that I enjoy my TV package with Sky, they admitted they couldn't match it but she gave me a big cheesy grin when she saw what I had on. The previous occasion it was just a little girl walking the other way with her mum who noticed me.

Just as I got home last time the lady next door was emerging from her flat. I let on but she ignored me. However I think she's probably just a bit funny like that and it mightn't have had anything to do with the skirt. I haven't lived here very long and still don't know her too well yet. She still puts my bin out every week which is a good sign I suppose.

I own two very similar black knee length jersey skirts (and a black cargo one which gathers dust since the eBay seller I bought it from last year failed to mention it was a mini). I went out today in one of my two jersey skirts, bare legged with a t-shirt and black Converse. A fortnight ago I had black nylon leggings on as well.

I actually took it off when I got home. I don't wear them that often and in all honesty making male legwear an established fashion is more of a priority to me than skirts. I'll be lying there on the settee wearing my jersey skirts, only to find they'll often bunch up around my waist, whereas shorts stay nicely in place. But to me it's about the principle and having the freedom of choice. I pay my taxes and contribute to society so how dare it tell me I can't hang a simple piece of cloth from my waist. The double standards in fashion, "women can wear pants etc," is a major driving factor for me.

Nevertheless I am still a fan and would love to have skirts as a regular alternative to what I call the "long trouser regime," which attempts to enslave the men of the western world. I would like to try a black mid calf canvas type skirt next. I think something like that would suit a masculine image and one with pockets in for a change would be preferable.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I did it, I did it!

Post by skirtingtoday »

Well done!! That first time out is always a nerve-wracking experience. It does become easier over time until you forget you are even wearing a skirt.

You have just found out what we all say here - and that is the apparent invisibility of a bloke in a skirt! Very few actually notice and those that do, don't seem to not bothered by it. A few extra glances perhaps, a smile here and there is about all you get. If you are lucky as some here, you get an uplifting compliment.
From a distance, people assume it is shorts (short trousers that is) and when they get close all they see is the upper half of the body so the skirt is un-noticed from any distance.

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Congratulations, and many interesting repeats.

As you've discovered, in casual situations, people really don't care what you wear.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Congrats, glad it went well for you!

I went out in my skirt for the first time a couple of days ago for a quick trip to the local post office.
I didn't receive any comments about what i was wearing, in fact i'm pretty sure no one noticed!
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Image Well done
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Kieran wrote:Congrats, glad it went well for you!

I went out in my skirt for the first time a couple of days ago for a quick trip to the local post office.
I didn't receive any comments about what i was wearing, in fact i'm pretty sure no one noticed!
Well done to you too Keiran!! 8) That first time out skirted is always the hardest. :D Afterwards, I am sure, you were wondering what all the fuss was about! Small confidence building steps are good!

Look forward to hearing about your next trip(s) - keep up the good work! :D

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
JoeBro

Post by JoeBro »

More people noticed than you may realize. Not everyone will comment or smile. Some may simply look away.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

But very few will probably remember until the next time they see you in a skirt. They all have their own immediate problems.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yes, people on the street don't seem to take any notice if you maintain suitable decorum.
I like quite a wide longish skirt so I can have some fun swinging around in them. Do a bit of a pirouette in the grog shop as I decide which department I'm heading for. Not noticing my swing skirt huh?!
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

Yes, people on the street don't seem to take any notice if you maintain suitable decorum.
Suitable for others off course, which is irrelevant in case you neither wanna appease members of the American Puritan Club nor some nitwits. You stand out in the crowd but for the reason you ain't part of the sheep herd anymore. :twisted:
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

I believe with the media stories about men in skirts and a lot of material on the internet about it, people are changing their attitude. It is really no big deal.
But suppose you are watching a movie about the roman era or middle age or renaissance, it looks perfectly normal to see men wearing skirts, robs, dresses.....Nobody jumps out of their seats and say "here a man in a skirt!" I believe that in the last 4 years (when I started to wear kilts and skirts) mentalities have been changing...
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Scouse Skirt wrote:Went out for the first time in a skirt two weeks ago last Saturday, with a repeat performance again today. It's amazing how invisble I must seem to the vast majority of people. "Hello everyone man in a skirt here and you haven't even realised!"
Congratulations! See, it isn't hard, is it? Now keep it going… every minute you are out in public just makes it more commonplace and easier for the next hesitant guy to wear a skirt out and about.
Scouse Skirt wrote:I own two very similar black knee length jersey skirts (and a black cargo one which gathers dust since the eBay seller I bought it from last year failed to mention it was a mini).
There are buyer's protections built into eBay; if "Item does not match description" you could certainly have returned it for a refund. And when buying clothes on eBay, always ask for measurements if they are not given in the listing.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
nutbastard

Post by nutbastard »

Good on you! I started wearing skirts in public a couple of months ago, and I had a lot of trepidation about it. At first I was concerned I might be assaulted or harassed, but all that's happened are people seem not to notice or I get compliments.

As someone else said, I think it's good to set an example for other men who are on the fence. Rather than seeming feminine, the women I've met while wearing a skirt seemed really into my confidence. In fact, I think it's *more* manly to wear a skirt than any other garment. The men that say they could never wear a skirt are either ambivalent or simply not interested (which is fine) or they are being held back by fear, as most of us were in the beginning. The "I don't care what others think" attitude is highly attractive to women and men, and the skirt acts as a sort of social filter - pretty much only cool people engage with you when you're a man in a skirt.

Anyway, I just joined this forum so I guess I'll see y'all around, and again, congrats OP, the first time is absolutely nerve wracking, but after a couple of months it will become a non-issue and you won't even think about it (well, too much anyway. I still sometimes get nervous about it depending on where I'm going even though I know it's silly. In those cases I usually force myself to go to help break down the silliness.)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Welcome, nutbastard. Feel free to tell us about yourself in the introductions thread, if you want to share.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

nutbastard wrote: At first I was concerned I might be assaulted or harassed,
I never felt afraid of that, though I admit avoiding dark alleys at night!
Did not actually get many compliments to tell thr truth :-(

Although I have been quite happy in kilts or skirts for a long time now, I realized recently that it took about ten years to lose all self consciousness and to stop wondering what people would think of me.
For a year at least, I was always looking for my reflexion in windows and mirrors to see what impression I gave. I relaxed more in tartan kilts, and took to wearing them all the time. Wrap skirts came next (kilt-shaped!), but for years, I was conscious of being an oddity. Now it is kilts for warmth or to look smart, short skirts for comfort in warmer weather, and no qualms or misgivings.
But it took a long time, so deeply engrained is the notion that men should trousered.

So, nutbastard, I think you may be a trifle optimistic saying, "after a couple of months it will become a non-issue and you won't even think about it." But don,t give up -- belonging to this forum helps a lot!

Martin