My families reaction

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kieran

My families reaction

Post by Kieran »

A couple of weeks ago i finally decided to buy my first skirt. I decided on a Knife Pleat Midi length skirt from "The Urban Apparel".

The skirt arrived today and felt quite nice when i tried it on, i took it off after a while and left it next to me.
When my mom got back home she noticed the skirt, her initial reaction was shock followed by laughter.
She asked why i decided to buy a skirt, i just told her that i fancied something different, she seemed ok with that.
A few other questions came after that such as "What will you do if it blows up in the wind?", i didn't say much for that one!
She seemed a bit concerned as to what other people would think, i just told her that they wouldn't notice.

Life then carried on as normal. My next step is to wear it out in public!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: My families reaction

Post by Caultron »

Congratulations and as for going out in public, go for it! Confidence is the key.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

10/10 for you, Kieran. And 9/10 for your Mum (1 mark off for laughing).

Must be a relief she was OK about your skirt - relatives are the most likely to react badly.

Skirt on, step outside and don't worry about the wind!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kieran wrote:A couple of weeks ago i finally decided to buy my first skirt. I decided on a Knife Pleat Midi length skirt from "The Urban Apparel".
Congratulations!
[...] "What will you do if it blows up in the wind?", i didn't say much for that one!
I'd be willing to bet that you'll just push the skirt down the way the gals do. It's just part of the territory.
Life then carried on as normal. My next step is to wear it out in public!
My personal advice would be to wear it around the house for a few days and learn how to properly move in the thing (think about navigating around objects and the like) and get really comfortable with it before heading out into the wild. Basic motion tactics need to become second nature before you'll be really comfortable in the rig in a public setting. I've had to "practice" with some of my skirts for a few weeks before I could actually wear them with any sort of real confidence "in the wild", but those have been a bit more extreme than the usual "midi".
Caultron wrote:Congratulations and as for going out in public, go for it! Confidence is the key.
Yes, what he said.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

I think it came as a bit of a shock to her.
It will be interesting to see what shes like when i decide to wear it out in public.

I decided to go for a longer "Midi" length skirt at first to get used to the idea of wearing a skirt without worrying too much about exposing myself, over time i hope to move onto shorter skirts, not too short though!
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

Congratulations on the first big step - buying a skirt.
Congratulations on the second big step - telling a close relative (your mom).
Good luck with the next few steps.

My response to "What will you do if it blows up in the wind?" would be 'The same thing you do in that situation'.

Peter
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Something tells me if it has pleats and it is aerodynamic it gonna need a bigger kilt pin or file an erratic flight pattern !

Just don't pull a "Marilyn" and walk over a ventilation duct !

Ah just get out and about and wear the darn skirt - it has already passed parental approval and posting here got the SkirtCafe certificate of approval !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Congratulations on buying your 1st skirt,
I still have that hurdle to pass yet but am getting there. as for the wind, worry about it if and when it happens. :)
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

She asked why i decided to buy a skirt, i just told her that i fancied something different, she seemed ok with that.
A few other questions came after that such as "What will you do if it blows up in the wind?", i didn't say much for that one!
She seemed a bit concerned as to what other people would think, i just told her that they wouldn't notice.
That's easy, ask a cute gal to sneak a peek. Those are dirty minded and allways up for an excuse. :twisted:
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

The more of us that wear skirts in public, the easier it becomes for other to do likewise. Well done sir!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Well done Kieran! :bow: You have done one of the hardest things you will ever do - telling your mother! :D 8)

I look forward to hearing how it goes in the big wide world - believe us whem we say that the sky will remain blue (or grey as it is just now :lol: ), the sun will continue to shine :sunny: and there will be virtually no comments at all from the public.

The olny person you need to get past now is yourself though you will be shaking at the time :shaking:

Keep up the good start you have made and may I say it is good to see a younger person going for it! The more the merrier!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, telling one's mother is probably the hardest, yet she is generally the one that understands best, you are her son after all. I found it hard telling my mother and her positive reaction completely astounded me. It has become easier telling others and becomes easier each time. MOH is still terrified of others finding out. An older couple from church called last night ( we are, or at least MOH has instituted, tidying out our pantry/food store so the floor was full of piles of tins and packets ) and I was in a skirt so she used the tidying excuse not to invite them in. Little did she know that they already knew about my skirt wearing as they called a few days earlier when I was wearing a skirt and had a brief discussion about it. Postmen and salesmen have caught me in a skirt and they haven't batted an eyelid so to speak. It does get easier though not sure if MOH's resistance is any less. Interestingly she has never asked if I have worn the skirt out of the house - it maybe just hasn't occurred to her that I might and I ain't going to volunteer that information.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I never had a chance to talk to my mother about skirt-wearing as she died some ten years ago. i didn't even have a kilt at that time but I am sure she would have accepted that with no problem (I do live in Scotland where kilts are seen at times for special occasions). I think that skirts may have been more problematic though. Many years ago I was on holiday and wore a pair of short white (ladies) cotton shorts. When I showed her our holiday snaps, no comments were made but on looking back, I could never find those shorts again (I was living at home at the time) so it is possible that she may have thrown them out and quietly didn't mention it.

Certainly, the rest of my side of the family (sister, cousins, nieces and nephews) are fine with the kilt and they have seen me wearing it on the very few occasions we do meet up. Also close friends are happy with the kilt as well as golfing and curling friends. And the last group have been regaled with my Utilitikilts with little comment except, "Are you wearing the kilt on the ice? :shock: " to which I said, "No - but for a small fee.... :shock: "

On my wife's side of the family, they too are fine with the kilt as I have worn it to various gatherings (Xmas and other occasions) with little more than "Looking good!" or similar thumbs up comments. (Again as I say, I live in Scotland)

As for skirts, I have not mentioned it to any family member - but them I hardly ever see them at all. I have recently started seeing my sister for lunch which may become a monthly occasion so I am thinking I may mention it to her or even try out the UK to gauge her response/reaction.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

ST,
Good luck with your sister.
I'm the "wee brother", and when I told them about the skirts the reaction was less than helpful.
One said she'd pray for me, the other said she'd not be seen in my company.
The third was slightly better, just a request not to turn up at her house in a skirt.
If i may offer some counsel, do not be tempted to "present", tell her first, possibly show some pictures, then, hopefully, she'll be cool with it.
Strangely, I haven't spoken to mine in quite a while.
Steve.
I've just had a thought that stems from another post. I wonder if my so supportive siblings realise that I borrowed their skirts.
I actually think not, the indignation would have been too comical to miss.
Last edited by STEVIE on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:One said she'd pray for me, the other said she'd not be seen in my company.
The third was slightly better, just a request not to turn up at her house in a skirt.
As I age, I'm beginning to be really shocked how ignorant -- nay, stupid -- some folks can be, and, possibly also as a consequence of age, I am growing less and less tolerant of idiots. Life's too damn short to surround one's self with fools -- whether they're related by blood or not.
Strangely, I haven't spoken to mine in quite a while.
Are you, perhaps, taking on a viewpoint somewhat similar to mine?

Good luck no matter what.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!