I wore an outright skirt to work today

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Chris Webb

I wore an outright skirt to work today

Post by Chris Webb »

I've been skirting and kilting full time for nearly 10 years, but I'd never worn anything but an outright kilt to work until today. Now my kilts are definitely short (14 inches), but they are clearly kilts. Today the wind was blowing 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph and, you know what, I'd just had it with dealing with my kilts blowing up on the job ... so I wore a SKIRT!! A 15 inch a-line with two small pleats in the front and two small pleats in the back, solid dark grey, made by Aeropostale. NOBODY seemed to even notice, not my helpers, not my builder, not any of the other sub-contractors.

I am forced to admit that I had limited my skirt wearing at work to kilts only because down deep inside I was leaning on the Heritage Excuse that comes with wearing tartan kilts of any kind. But today I was a true skirtman AT WORK where it could affect my livelihood ... I'm a little embarrassed that I hadn't done it before but proud that I finally did!

Skirt ON!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I wore an outright skirt to work today

Post by skirtingtoday »

Great news for you! I suspect that most of your work mates, contractors etc who had seen you in the kilt would not blink an eye because you decided to wear an equivalent length skirt.

In the UK kilts are normally around knee-length (23-24" long) and anything shorter than (say) 20" would be classed as a mini-kilt here and these would normally be reserved for women and more especially for the younger ones. So kudos for you to wear the shorter kilts with confidence - wish I could do the same but I'm my good lady would bend my ear somewhat!

:thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

what a great experience, well done and the way is paved for further kilted working days. I started to wear dresses to work about five years ago and its a great feeling to be accepted what ever you wear.
keep kilted
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well done Chris for taking the plunge! Though I suspect few people who saw you really thought there was much of a difference between today's skirt and the mini-kilts you normally wear. Few would mistake you mini-kilts for traditional kilts, after all.

Keep on skirting anyway.

Alastair
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Congrats, Chris. Does this support the idea that a MUG = a MUG?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

dillon wrote:Congrats, Chris. Does this support the idea that a MUG = a MUG?
Yes, yes it does.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Chris, I suppose that a 14 inch kilt is by most people taken for a skirt anyway. Accordingly you can with confidence wear regular skirts.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Great to hear that Chris. Is good to have something to wear that doesn't get lifted up by the wind and even better that your work buddies don't care!!

Tes
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well done, Chris.

I wore a skirt for the first time to my new job today -- and nobody said a bloomin' word. I wonder if they simply didn't notice, were too gobsmacked to say anything, or thought it would be impolite to comment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Which skirt Carl? One of the Historical Emporium ones? I'm certainly getting some use out of my one lately. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jack Williams wrote:Which skirt Carl? One of the Historical Emporium ones? I'm certainly getting some use out of my one lately. :)
'Twas this one -- a burgundy lower-calf number constructed from alternating vertical panels of velvet and plain fabric with fairly heavy same-colour embroidery all over it.

I didn't wear the same shirt, nor a waistcoat, today as it was just plain too hot. What I wore with it was a red and black, very subtle floral print blouse. Sapphire mentioned that it was a very good look.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Well, disappointing as no apparent reaction may be, I'd prefer that to outrage. Now the question is how much might they have figured out ahead of time, lessening the shock. With that skirt I have to admit that I would be rather surprised if anyone could be around it over several hours and miss it, though people can be remarkably unobservant - as I know from once not really cottoning on to a utilikilt someone was wearing. I doubt I'd miss it today on a much briefer sighting today, though.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Tor wrote:Well, disappointing as no apparent reaction may be, I'd prefer that to outrage.
Well, there is going to be some good-natured ball-busting going on in the office tomorrow. Historically, the cast of characters there have been remarkably observant -- and positive -- about my sartorial choices. If anything, I'd have expected comments, sarcastic, humourous, or positive; it was the utter silence that got me, and it's a rather stand-out skirt I wore!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

A stunned silence perhaps? :(
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Tor wrote:?..Now the question is how much might they have figured out ahead of time, lessening the shock...
I wondered that as well. crfriend, did you give them any sort of warning?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron