Most blend in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Most blend in skirts

Post by skirted84 »

As a long time skirt wearer I have found more and more some skirts are almost invisible on men and attract virtually zero reaction. My most successful seems to be jeans skirts, just like my own jeans except being one tube to the knee instead of two leg length ones, with black tights or white socks depending on weather. Kind of loses the illicit thrill if thats what you're after, but I love wearing a skirt without being noticed. People in shops, cafes etc. treat me as if I'm wearing mens trousers. They either don't notice as it doesn't stand out or have common sense. Kilts work as well though are rather cumbersome for general wear and tights just don't look right (like a private school girl). For weddings or football you just bear the elements (hot or cold) for the short space of time.

The more dubious kind are plain black skirts on the knee, and some school pleated ones as long as they aren't too childlike. I like 100 denier tights but no less than 40 certainly, in black or dark colours.

What do the rest think?
Chris Webb

Re: Most blend in skirts

Post by Chris Webb »

When I read the topic I immediately thought that denim skirts blend in way more than any other kind of skirt I wear, as long as they are not pleated. Any pleated skirt, even short denim, illicit the 'are you Scottish' reactions (which I have gotten really tired of over the years). Like you, when I want to blend in (which is rare for me, LOL) I put on a mid thigh denim skirt, either straight or flair.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

There's a reason for this "phenomenon": denim is so ubiquitous that unless it's cut in an eye-catchingly different way (e.g. pleats) the human brain just dismisses it as part of the overwhelming "background noise". This is one way that the human mind filters out signal from noise. In the case of plain denim skirts there's not enough "signal" to gain the attention of the brain -- the observer will see the skirt ("signal") for sure but the "noise" generated by the fabric will keep the brain from flagging it as something interesting.

In short, if you want to get noticed, wear a non-denim fabric -- almost anything but denim. This includes trousers by the way. By far and away my favourite fabrics for skirts are silk, velvet, and taffeta -- frequently in "jewel tones". Those get attention because they're very different from what's on the vast sea of mundanes in their denim trousers.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Did crfriend just start using the term "mundane" for the trousered herds? I recently posted a comment about this-unimaginative individuals being called "mundanes" by science fiction fans. A CD term is also relevant-all too relevant-"drab" as the term for dull, traditional mens wear.
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

Wearing a skirt as a men in the western culture without being recognized is like drinking a bottle of vodka without getting drunk. :lol: As long as the skirts come into the equation, it doesn't matter how plain drab and dull it looks. :cry:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtilator wrote:Wearing a skirt as a men in the western culture without being recognized is like drinking a bottle of vodka without getting drunk.
I agree, the quest to go skirted in public without being noticed is futile.

However, the ability to go skirted in public without anybody caring is almost universal.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Denim, to be inconspicuous, I'd agree.
Certain colours, drab, a lack of contrast, draws little attention, also concur.
I recognise myself in both of these statements, it's what I do to get by as a guy in a skirt.
There are other times when I get a bit more "flamboyant", but they're rare because I'm actually "conservative" by nature.
There's no point in wearing a skirt as a guy and just hoping that "Joe Public" won't notice at all.
Many will, most won't care, some will stare and a minority will comment or question your choice.
The best bit, be receptive to a myriad of potential conversations that would never ever have happened if you'd been in trousers.
These must be the best bits of my own skirted journey so far.
Steve.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Grok wrote:Did crfriend just start using the term "mundane" for the trousered herds? I recently posted a comment about this-unimaginative individuals being called "mundanes" by science fiction fans. A CD term is also relevant-all too relevant-"drab" as the term for dull, traditional mens wear.
I've seen this term used a lot by various sub-cultures. I often use the term "Mundania" to refer to the general, mundane world.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I recall that there was a filk song about it being "boring as hell" in "Mundania."
Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

I agree, the quest to go skirted in public without being noticed is futile.

However, the ability to go skirted in public without anybody caring is almost universal.

Spot on.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I too concur that a skirted man is likely to remain an aberration for generations to come, possibly, and that we are anything but invisible. I suspect that the muted reactions to denim are partly due, as often posted, to the ubiquity of the fabric, but perhaps also because of the association of blue denim with youth and, by implication, alternative culture, as well as having a bit of a masculine effect. I would wager that black denim would elicit longer examinations from casual observers than blue denim, and that slim-fitting "pencil" style denim skirts would likewise attract longer gawks than a simple long "hippie-ish" skirt of worn and faded blue denim. I happen to own both; the pencil skirt is black stretch denim and falls just below the knee; the other is a baggy faded denim skirt of considerable volume that brushes my shoelaces in length. The longer blue denim skirt, by Revolt, lends more a feeling of security - modesty, even - at least in my self-perception? Perhaps that is common among us and a reason for our beliefs about feeling unnoticed in denim skirts? Perhaps, when clad in blue denim, we share a feeling of acceptability with some of those who check us out?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yes, an aberration for many years. As for being noticed, I have to say that I certainly notice any kilted man on the street. Such an individual will stand out from the trousered herds. Indeed, be very conspicuous.
Sam

Post by Sam »

The last few years I had more or less the same experience: people don not seem to notice you wearing a skirt if that skirt is a denim skirt and especially when I combine it with dark blue tights
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Maybe it is just me, but I want to be seen as someone who is happy to be who he is, not another one of the sheeple all trying to avoid being noticed. So when I wear a skirt I don't want to blend in.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Milfmog wrote:Maybe it is just me, but I want to be seen as someone who is happy to be who he is, not another one of the sheeple all trying to avoid being noticed. So when I wear a skirt I don't want to blend in.

Have fun,
Ian.
Bingo!
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.