fairly full denim skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: fairly full denim skirt

Post by Sarongman »

I feel no guilt hijacking the thread I started, after all, everything relevant has been said previously on the skirt, it may as well go seriously off topic. The watch in question is a Kienzle mechanical fob watch given to me on my 21st birthday, so it's now at least 44 years old. With a fairly hefty size, it came with a sturdy leather belt pouch and, while a possibility for a fob chain with a waistcoat, it is more for function than looks.
P1020038 (640x480).jpg
I am quite taken with mechanical timepieces, and have an Ansonia Triumph from the early 1870s (family heirloom), an unnamed early dome clock that needs yearly winding and a modern Kienzle action Vienna regulator. Watches, include the aforementioned "fob" are a Trias skeleton watch ND A Russian navy watch modelled on the Rolex Oyster. The quartz watches (soulless beasts) aren't worth mentioning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

As far as denim skirts go, I like the OP's picture - but I virtually never wear anything even knee high.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Excellent fob watches and other great Steampunk equipment right here:
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/watches.php
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Well Hello!

This thread just touched on a life long love of mine the pocket watch! Although I have a few wristwatches I've never cared for them but a pocket watch now that's different. Using a pocket watch is is what I call telling time with style. I have several but sadly only one is accessable to me now but I treasure them all especially one that my wife gave to me on our 25th anniverserary. The one I use daily is a braille pocket watch in a gold tone, it has a hunters case which of course covers the face. If you are not famillier with a braille watch it is an instrument that has a touchable face that present the numerals as raised dots with a raised line for the 12 o'clock position and double dots for the 3, 6, and 9 hours or quarter hours it is read by checking the position of the hour and minet hands in realation to the raised hour/minet dots.
As I have said there's already a gold one in my pocession and one day soon there will be a silver one too. I'm glad someone did not forget we pocket watch lovers when they developed the modren braille watch! A classic style for times I sometimes think are niether classic or very stylish, but that's just me.

Take care Ladies and Gentlemen and as always Slainte' !

Bill & Sir Brinkley the Exubrant! LeaderDog extrodinaire! :D
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

wsherman wrote:This thread just touched on a life long love of mine the pocket watch! [...]

As I have said there's already a gold [Braille pocket-watch] in my pocession and one day soon there will be a silver one too. I'm glad someone did not forget we pocket watch lovers when they developed the modren braille watch! A classic style for times I sometimes think are niether classic or very stylish, but that's just me.
Oh, I think that pocket watches are the height of style and I treasure my collection, one of which belonged to my paternal grandmother's father -- and still runs. That's the one I take out when I want to really show off.

That they make pocket watches in a Braille version is wonderful. Is it quartz or stem-wind mechanical? (I have a weakness for proper clockwork.)

Too, Bill, and as always, make sure to give Brinkley a scratch behind the ears for me and take care.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Can't say I have ever been one to carry the time on me much over the years, but my time here at home is provided by an electric clock-radio, cica 1940's. I had to rewind the motor coil, and the bearings were (are) so worn, that the ridiculously small and fine cog teeth were out of mesh. What I did, and have done to another clock, was to solder a piece of spring wire to the chassis, so that it pushes the cogs into mesh. As it is spring wire (piano wire is good) it's not about to wear away in a hurry, and the clock has now been churning along perfectly for some years now. A somewhat crude but effective fix for clapped-out clocks..
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

And right at the other end of the size scale, not that I carry it round with me or anything, is our brass faced oak longcase clock. when we were newly wed & settled into our little Tudor cottage in England and were hunting for appropriate furniture, we set off looking for a glass-fronted upright corner cabinet for glasses/drinks for our little drawing cubicle.

We visited one of the many 'junk shops' (all later to become very smart antique outlets) in our area (North Hampshire) and fell in love with this old timepiece which is about 250 years old. It has now stood in the hall wherever we have lived for over 45 years, but quite recently inexplicably stopped. The little rocker arm at the top of the pendulum engaging with the escapement wheel just refused to rock anymore.

The solution was that the axle had worn the holes in the metal frame a bit oblong and it had dropped down on the wheel just that bit. I tied very fine wire round the axle ends and with it raised the axle just a fraction at each end, whereupon it recommenced rocking and ever since (a whole year now) the old clock strikes the hours day & night faithfully as before.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

What a great timepiece! Proper things can always be fixed. Took a few years before needing repair!!

Here's quick shot of the little kitchen clock-radio. Have to do something about the radio dial..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Can you still get those clocks which lived in a glass bubble and had spinning brass? weights instead of a pendulum? I remember one a relative had when I was a child.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Big and Bashful wrote:Can you still get those clocks which lived in a glass bubble and had spinning brass? weights instead of a pendulum? I remember one a relative had when I was a child.
They're called "Anniversary Clocks" because they needed wound but once a year. You can find vintage ones in shops and eBay, I'm sure, and can still buy them new on (among other places) Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=duc0c-20&u ... ry%20clock
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Attached is a mugshot of the old brass dial of our 'Cottage Longcase Clock, which is an early example from the mid 1700s and has but one weight driving both the hands and the strike. It will run only for 30 hours at best and must be routinely wound every day, not by key on the face but by opening the door below and hauling on the chain. It stands just 6'6" tall.
Clocks2.jpg
Real grandfather clocks are much taller, frequently of mahogany with painted or enamel faces, have multiple weights wound weekly with a winch key on the face and often chime as well as strike.

About 40 years ago I spied this 'anniversary' clock in a Hartley-Wintney (Hampshire) junkshop, paid £90 for it even though it didn't go, had a new vertical hair weight suspender fitted and I wind it on Christmas Day every year. The fine tuning is by turning the horizontal bar adjusting the space between the two smaller flattish weights on top of the main one. I don't know how old it is, but my eldest bro. inherited my parents' near-identical one, so I had to grab this one when I saw it.
Clocks1.jpg
In deference to the actual thread I also attach a pic. of my 20" box-pleated denim number, which fits me perfectly.
D&D, Denim and Dawg..jpg
Tom
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Hello All!

In answer to Carl's inquiry about whether my pocket watch was quartz or stem wind , it is a quartz happily running on the all prevalent button battery. I'm not sure they even make the braille model in a stem wind now. My littel timepiece keeps good time and in the near decade that I've had it the battery has only been replaced twice and it's been cleaned twice.

Speaking of other kinds of timepieces I remember an old mantle clock housed in walnut with a key wind face it had a lovly mellow chime for a clock its size. The clock had sloping sides that ended in a scroll at either end. The length side was about a foot or a little over, the depth was 4 inches with the heighth about 8 or ten inches. Please forgive the imprecise measurements as I'm working on memory that is at least thirty years old. It belonged to my paternal grandmother and I think it came to her from her parents so it is at least an 150 years or more old.

The one stem watch I own is and Austin timepiece given to me when I graduated from High School back in ought six before the war ahem in the good old twentieth centry. and for the literalists early 1970's. lol!

Well that's enough rambling for now except to say that pocket watch pockets ought to be standard on all mens' skirts and kilts. Take note manufacturers.

Slainte'
Bill & Sir Brinkley the Exubrant who got to learn a new destination and building today and is now resting his weary brain. grin
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Only a mechanical one would do me!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Here's a mechanical one for you, Jack.....It's based on the Harrison H1 sea chronometer, the first of three models he made to give the British Navy the ability to calculate Longitude accurately, hence they ruled the Seas. His H4 was a hand-sized chronometer watch, equally accurate.

This is the 'Devon Sea Clock' and has twin oscillating pendulums driven by two 'woodpecker' spring loaded escapement rockers either side of the wheel.
Clocks3.jpg
Clocks4.jpg
With careful adjustment it can be persuaded to actually tell the time if you take the trouble to study the three faces! It runs for about 10 days, so is wound weekly. It lives in a glass case, removed for the photos.

Mine is no. 172 of a limited run of 500, or so it sez on the brass plaque at the bottom.

Tom
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

How beautiful!
I do wish I had one of those.