Macabi skirt sizing

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Macabi skirt sizing

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Anyone here own the Macabi skirt?
I am trying to get some advise on the sizing as it is a little different from men sizing. I am 36in in the waist and on the site it shows XL as 36-38. Like many of us know here, sizing it seldom accurate and I am not sure If I should get this size or one size down (L - 32-34). Does anyone have any experience with this skirt and have any advise on sizing? Are they size "true waist" or "vanity sizing"?
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Macabi skirt sizing

Post by crfriend »

I have a Macabi, and the advice for guys to buy a size or two down was accurate as of when I got mine which was a couple of years ago. I doubt that much has changed. If memory serves, the advice for guys was to order two sizes down; I think I ordered one size down as I wanted something full. Your mileage may vary; if in doubt a telephone call may be in order for advice.

From personal experience, I've found that judging sizes by hip size is more accurate for guys than waist size. If we can get the skirt over our (narrow) hips, the waist will almost certainly fit, especially if we're dealing with elastic- or drawstring- waist skirts; if we can't get the thing past our arses then we're doomed (as are the gals).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Thanks you crfriend,
How much stretch does the waist have? If I get the large (32-34) I just hope it has enough stretch for my 36in waist to sit comfortably.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Just tried to place an order to have it sent to Australia but there is no shipping option to Australia. Has anyone else been able to have it delivered internationally?
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Like Carl, I felt that the "drop two sizes" advice seemed over the top as I wanted to be sure of a full stride. Consequently I only dropped one size and my Macabi is a perfect fit for me and a favourite for walking particularly if it is a bit damp outside.

I sidestepped the international shipping costs (and import duty and charges in the UK) thanks to a forum member here who had the skirt delivered to him and then forwarded it via USPS, saving me the order of $40 (IIRC). I don't know if someone can help you out similarly but it may be worth asking.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

I own two Macabi's, one stone and one sand colored. My waist size is 36 inch and size L fits well, thanks to the elastic waistband. As I am a shorty I chose the short ones.
The sand colored one I shortened up to just below the knee for summer use. The stone one is ankle lenght. The Macabi's are very soft and comfortable, beating my Sportkilts. I use them around the house only.
Shipping cost to the Netherlands in a large envelope by US postal service was only € 15,95. That is a bargain, considering Union Kilts charges GBP 30 or € 45 from Wales to Holland, only a short hop....
Jan.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Thanks for the feedback, I have found a forwarding company that will ship the order to me. I have place my order and on the advice here I think I have purchased the right size.
andrew72
Distinguished Member

Post by andrew72 »

SkirtRevolution wrote:Anyone here own the Macabi skirt?
I am trying to get some advise on the sizing as it is a little different from men sizing. I am 36in in the waist and on the site it shows XL as 36-38. Like many of us know here, sizing it seldom accurate and I am not sure If I should get this size or one size down (L - 32-34). Does anyone have any experience with this skirt and have any advise on sizing? Are they size "true waist" or "vanity sizing"?
Yes, I own a Macabi skirt. Mine is an M (29 30) and it fits perfectly.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

crfriend wrote: if we can't get the thing past our arses then we're doomed (as are the gals).
Sometimes this problem can be overcome by putting the skirt on over the head - but then again, our wide shoulders often preclude even that!

I own two Macabis - but I bought them so long ago, that I can't remember the sizing. Not particularly glam looking, but they sure are rugged!
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
skirted

Post by skirted »

I own two Macabi's both In rain, one large and one xl, the large is a bit snug 42/44in waist but the xl is a bit loose. I do love the nice deep pockets they have, and as soon as I can I want to buy another one. :D

peter
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have a tan Macabi, not sure what size but I presume XL. I wear it to the beach all the time. It's great to change from a wet swimsuit beneath it; the large loose volume of the garment facilitates that without exposure. Slip the wet shorts off and dry undies on.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

C'mon a pro doesn't need a swim short with a Macabi skirt, he turns it into a loin cloth and jumps into the water. :twisted:
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtilator wrote:C'mon a pro doesn't need a swim short with a Macabi skirt, he turns it into a loin cloth and jumps into the water. :twisted:
Or just dispenses with clothing altogether... A swimming costume will not keep you warm or dry or even hide anything once it's wet. I've always felt them to be rather a pointless garment.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Or just dispenses with clothing altogether... A swimming costume will not keep you warm or dry or even hide anything once it's wet. I've always felt them to be rather a pointless garment.
Our beaches have quite a few tourists, and I'd just as soon not spend any time in jail, thank you very much...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

AFAIK, the Macabi is made of quick dry nylon fabric, so you can turn it into a loin cloth for recreational swimming, unzip it and cycle home and turn it into bermuda shorts afterwards. :D