Last snowfall (I hope)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Last snowfall (I hope)

Post by rick401r »

After reading several tales of being kilted in cold weather I decided to give it a try. I went out to shovel snow this morning in my utilikilt. With kilt hose, work boots, and a heavy sweater I was comfortable. The coldest part of my body was my fingers. I normally go commando when kilted but today I wore underwear. I don't think I would try it in my cheaper, acrylic kilt. A wool kilt would have been fine but I try to keep it nice for dressier occasions.
MoonDrake

Re: Last snowfall (I hope)

Post by MoonDrake »

Where abouts you live? I wear my kilts or my skirts year around I've only wore legged bottoms a few times at all through this winter, knee high socks and thick( and often colored to match) tights. And I've been just fine, I rarely put on a coat even in snow if the wind ain't blowin. I find my gothic long skirt will even put me to sweating, even out in the cold.
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

We usually have Mile High snow off and on up to when the lilacs bloom. That equals about mid-May. I wore my wool tartan kilt St. Pats day with kilt hose and was quite comfortable in 40F blustery weather. Had to pin the apron down and be mindful not to have a Monroe moment.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

MoonDrake wrote:Where abouts you live? I wear my kilts or my skirts year around I've only wore legged bottoms a few times at all through this winter, knee high socks and thick( and often colored to match) tights. And I've been just fine, I rarely put on a coat even in snow if the wind ain't blowin. I find my gothic long skirt will even put me to sweating, even out in the cold.
Yeah, I've seen your kind. Impervious to the cold, walking around all winter in shorts and tee shirts. I've got a name for you guys but I can't post it here. (just kidding)
I don't like the cold but I'm stuck here in Ohio so I deal with it the best I can.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Taj wrote:We usually have Mile High snow off and on up to when the lilacs bloom. That equals about mid-May. I wore my wool tartan kilt St. Pats day with kilt hose and was quite comfortable in 40F blustery weather. Had to pin the apron down and be mindful not to have a Monroe moment.
I've seen your weather. My sister lives in Thornton and she just sent me pictures of the latest snowfall out there. I wore my wool kilt with kilt hose on St Patricks Day. it was about 30F here and windy. After 3-4 Jamisons I didn't notice.
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

Lol I live in the Ozarks of Missouri. These hillbillies can't understand a guy in a kilt, short sleeves and snow.... I augh and call them nancies.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

MoonDrake wrote:Lol I live in the Ozarks of Missouri. These hillbillies can't understand a guy in a kilt, short sleeves and snow....
I find that there are a couple of different types of cold. The first is when the temperature is hovering in the vicinity of, or just below, freezing and the relative humidity is in the 90+% range and the wind is blowing; that stuff will cut you to the bone but not really be much of a threat. Then there's the times when it's sub-zero (F, -18 C) and the air is crisp and cool -- that can be quite nice indeed, although in those temperatures frostbite is a distinct possiblilty for exposed skin. I prefer the second.

If I'm working hard, I can be very happy in a skirt and a lightweight windbreaker -- sometimes to the point where I have to open the jacket up to vent off the extra heat from the exertion. The biggest problem I have is keeping my feet dry; once they get wet, my enjoyment of the outdoors plummets precipitously.

In any event, I hope we are done with snow for the year; I've had my fill of the stuff. It's time for sun and flowers! (However, the realist in me knows that the "window" is open for more of the cruft for another three weeks or so.) Why anybody settled in New England is beyond my comprehension. We're at the latitude of Rome, for crying out loud, and during the winter we're in a sub-arctic Hell and in the summer a sub-tropical Hell. With a dry cold, one can layer on to protect one's self; with a wet cold, there's nothing really that can be done; and with the heat (and humidity) there's a limit to how much clothing one can take *off* and not get in trouble with the local Puritans.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well Carl, if it so bad, why has your family not moved away in the 4 centuries since your great great ...grandfather John Smith landed?

I had to shovel drifted snow off my drive this week. First time ever!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

Agreed, a wet cold can be horrible. I lived in louisianna 90%+ humidity year around. 3 years ago I was down there on the first week of February a freeze came through the water hoses froze almost instantly. It was the coldest I've ever been. I don't know who was more stupid me for standing out in it running a carnival ride, or the hundreds of people ridding these ice covered metal monsters. Ill take a northern dry cold any day.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Two winters ago and the winter before that we had (most unusual for us) nearly half a metre of snow on both occasions. I didn't have a snow shovel and none were to be had anywhere. At the end of the winter two years ago, i found and bought a snow shovel and didn't use it until eight days ago.

Then around 7-8" of snow fell over 24hrs - it was even in the Scottish news on BBC where their camera crews managed to get out to show their footage. The heaps of snow are still there as the temp has barely crept above freezing since that time. :o

However the Sunday after Easter I will (hopefully) be going somewhere warmer - to play golf in Portugal (Lisbon area). I see with the Gulf stream being deflected southwards, they are experiencing the "normal" wet and windy spring weather we Scots have at this time of year so we might not even get a game :( :blue:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I spent 5 days in Lisbon at the end of March a few years ago and we had totally cloudless skies and afternoon temps. from 24 degrees to 29 degrees. Even the Portugese were delighted, so you might get in a few rounds of golf after all.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !