"I can't hear you"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

"I can't hear you"

Post by Sarongman »

I had an interesting conversation at my second favorite cafe (after this one) with a man who told me he knew a Barrister in Sydney who wears skirts around the house and, a couple of times, to his chambers. My new friend told me that the Barrister can not wear anything outside the silks and wig, over an expensive suit while in court, as the judge would say "I can't hear you" meaning that the barrister could not represent his client until properly attired. I understand the reasoning for this, but would also point out the stultifying effect, when some members have presented a very dignified turnout that would not shame any court, under the wig and silk gown, which is, in itself, rather comical and anachronistic when seen without the formidable connotations they hold.

This friend is the son of a refugee from war ravaged Europe and he thinks his Father's Wehrmacht uniform is still in a trunk. he said that his Father only just made the end of the war because the Navy (Kriegsmarine) still had shells and were able to keep the Russians at bay long enough to get them off the beach. (Dunkirk in reverse!)
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod