Interesting attire.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Interesting attire.

Post by Kirbstone »

A correspondant in another forum submitted this pic. of a village headman in a remote community in Burma, recently visited. He has a floor-length unbifurcated garment on, but folded about his waist to give the impression of bifurcation. Interesting.

T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting attire.

Post by Sarongman »

Yes, that is a Burmese sarong (or is that Myanmarese?) and a perfect garment for the heat and humidity experienced in that part of the world. That material is cool and of a fine weave----and I'm jealous.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Different_Trains
Distinguished Member

Post by Different_Trains »

They are called Longyi.

Here's a Burmese farmer wearing one:

And here are Burmese government officials wearing them in a more formal setting:
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Also to be noted for those with limited experience of these garments, is that they are tube style, that is, pulled together at the front therefore, one size fits all. I have a couple of this style in a plaid, which is more common in rural Indonesia and also India. :alien:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

Nice!

I read about those. Also, when some Burmese government officials went to the US recently, they donned the female version of the longyi for the purpose of "thwarting any possible American curses."

There's some parts of India where both "tube" and "wrap" sarongs are worn, and the joke is that you can tell if a village is full of vicious dogs according to the dominant style (some guys, if approached by a stray dog, will yank off a wrap....they'll often be wearing 100db* boxers or bermudas underneath...and then use the cloth to get the attention in a way similar to a Matador's cape. You can't do that with a tube)

*That is to say, "loud"
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Raakone wrote:...some guys, if approached by a stray dog, will yank off a wrap... to get the attention in a way similar to a Matador's cape
That's a good plan. I'll try to remember next time I go to Morocco. All right with a light-weight skirt, but I don't think I'd want to use my best kilts like that!

Martin
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I like the last picture. It makes the guys in suits look more drab than usual, and I'll bet they were uncomfortably hot :lol:

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Charlie wrote:I like the last picture. It makes the guys in suits look more drab than usual, and I'll bet they were uncomfortably hot :lol:
Charlie
Yea, no kidding.

Suits and ties are the mark of the male slave.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

While on the subject of Burma, which is on the brink of making itself more well known in the 'West', they have a large lake where they paddle fishing canoes in the most acrobatic way imaginable....and skirted, too!
Inle Lake paddler 2.jpg
It'll be an Olympic event one of these days!....

T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !