Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Milfmog

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by Milfmog »

STEVIE wrote:What we have to deal with is a minority and, more importantly ourselves.
Unfortunately many have found that a large part of that minority to be the few people about whom we care the most, immediate family.
Skip, wear a skirt, go unnoticed, what's the point?
For me the point is that I am comfortable and relaxed. If others like it that is a bonus, but it is not my primary concern. (Does that selfishness make me a bad person? I like to think not, but others may choose to differ.)
I have now got to the point of taking a certain pleasure in seeing someone doing a "second take".
Right with you on that. I get a buzz out of spreading a little confusion :)
For "ourselves" I was more afraid of "others'" reactions than anything to do with the actual skirt wearing.
The imaginary demons are often the most frightening; our minds deliberately make them that way.
Wear a skirt, push the "boundaries", as you feel comfortable, enjoy the attention as it arises and simply be yourself.
I'd re-phrase that as "Wear a skirt, push your "boundaries", as you feel comfortable and simply be yourself. If you enjoy the attention as it arises that is a bonus."
You may well be amazed, I know, I was and still am.
I likewise still find it a surprise to go into a new place full of imaginary demons only to discover that they are not there. It may be a new physical location or a different style of skirt or perhaps just with a different group of people, but each time the lack of reaction is a surprise. It seems to me that people are generally too wrapped up in the trials and tribulations of their own life to pay much attention to what others wear. Even when we are noticed it is a few seconds of curiosity and then forgotten as life intrudes on our observers again.

Ultimately it is all summed up in the single sentence that someone once posted here (I'm afraid I don't recall who originated it):
People worry far less about what others think of them once they realise how little others think of them.
I read that the first time, thought about it and realised it to be true of how I react to others around me as well as how others appeared to respond to my skirted presence. With that realisation I dumped about 80% of my fears on the spot; it was like an instant injection of confidence.

You want to wear a skirt? OK, do it with confidence. Take your advice from Val Doonican* "Walk tall, walk proud and look the world right in the eye". (Sorry if you now have that tune stuck in your heads :) ).

Have fun,

Ian.

* More accurately from Don Wayne who wrote the song.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

STEVIE wrote:I agree with Skip, wear a skirt, go unnoticed, what's the point? I have now got to the point of taking a certain pleasure in seeing someone doing a "second take". Steve.
If I go unnoticed, that's fine. I'm not doing it for the attention. But I agree it can be fun when someone does a double take.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I visited Okehampton Castle in Devon last weekend and was wearing a denim skirt and grey tights. I suspect folk must have noticed but I spoke to several people I met and no comments were made.
The Kilted Hoosier

Post by The Kilted Hoosier »

Here in the states, we have Target, the big department stores with some that include full grocery stores.

Recently, I wore my knee length black denim in with pantyhose and a pullover shirt. The pharmacist, whom I've never seen from behind his counter was at one point all the way over in the grocery section walking towards me. We did not exchange words or eye contact, BUT, when I looked his way, he immediately looked off and over the rows as if he was looking for something up on a high shelf.

During the same trip, I asked a female store clerk for the location of the cream. She gladly pointed out the section to me, smiling and very courteous. If she noticed, then she did not say anything.

I definitely think that I was noticed.

TKH
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

I walked into a store and immediately one of the young sales ladies walked up to me and asked if she could help. I told her what I was looking for. She took me around to all the isles to get the few items I was looking for. The front cash registers were busy so she took me to one in another location of the store. Checked me out and I was on my way. So, if I had been in pants would I have had the same service that day? Was she doing this because she liked the skirt or did she do this to get the weird guy out of the store? I was wearing a mid thigh denim mini. She never said anything about the skirt. The same thing happened in an office supply store but that time the young lady only stayed with me until we got to the first item I was looking for.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Do they notice or not, and if they do do they get it right?

Case in point, I was at my local liquor store this afternoon picking up some much-needed beer and had a nice quick chat with another chap who happened to share the same queue as I, he in hospital scrubs, me in a tiered skirt with lace and net accents at the tier borders and a pink dress shirt.

"Nice kilt. Are you from Clinton?" (the next town over)

"Nope. I'm from {another town}."

"You must be Irish; kilts are popular with them."

"Partly. (and that's truth) I'm wearing this today because it's a lot cooler than trousers."

"I'll bet!"

And that, as they say, was that. However, how he mistook an overt tiered skirt with no pleats whatseover for a kilt somewhat baffles me. However, that he was open and accepting of the idea was a big win in my opinion!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

This is as good a place to re-insert my two cents worth. Sorry for the long absence, of nearly two years, which had a lot to do with a bad bout of clinical depression (neck top computer in good repair now :D).Now back to the topic . A week ago, I was at a regular charity market and wearing trousers when I heard the exclamation "he's wearing pants!". The volunteers at the place were surprised to see me in non typical attire. More to the point was a trip to Murwillumbah in the far north of New South Wales for my daughter's birthday, where I was wearing an ankle length Levi denim skirt. I was complimented on my skirt by a woman who then, however,criticised my shoes. (probably a valid criticism since they were steel toe capped work boots!) Later,in Nimbin, the hippy capital of Australia, I had three compliments including one from a young girl complimenting my 'courage' as her father wore skirts but didn't have the courage to wear them in public.
People do notice but are just accepting of the difference or too busy with their own lives to be bothered. Those that ask are a perfect opportunity to educate, just have your facts properly marshalled. Not easy for me as I,m better at written communication than verbal-and now I know why,having taken me over 60 years to find that I am one of the small percentage of the population with aspergers
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Sarongman and welcome back :!:

Great to read you again :!: Glad to know you're on the road
to understanding, and relief that you finally know, what the
health problem is.

Best Wishes my friend :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Generally a lot of the people you pass in the street will notice, though few will react visibly. However yesterday I was in London and I swear virtually nobody noticed. It was not just that nobody reacted: from time to time I would look at people coming towards me, and their gaze simply never fell upon me, not even a glance. It must be a big city thing, impersonal places that they are. A fellow human being in the street is no more than an object not to be bumped into. The Tube is most famous for it - it's not the done thing to interact with other passengers at all, not so much as to catch their eye. But it's nearly the same up on the streets as well.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

skirtyscot wrote:- it's not the done thing to interact with other passengers at all, not so much as to catch their eye. But it's nearly the same up on the streets as well.
Very sad, n'est-ce pas.

I'm glad to say in provincial southern Spain, people still acknowledge each other's presence and often exchange a friendly "Hola". I find it very pleasant. Not so in France, however, except when out hiking in the mountains.

Martin
Last edited by couyalair on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

skirtyscot wrote:I would look at people coming towards me, and their gaze simply never fell upon me, not even a glance.
You're not wrong. I look at pretty much everybody when I'm travelling around and see the same as you did.
Some tube lines can be more sociable than others. Any more interaction than a smile or nod and you find there's a good chance you find the person you're trying to talk to doesn't speak much if any English and not just as this time of year, Olympics or not. In fact I think I've seen fewer tourists travelling around than normal so far.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well a whole bunch of my work colleagues noticed this morning, but it was quite a while before one of them plucked up the courage to come and talk to me!

Scottish reticence, the world's best.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Well a whole bunch of my work colleagues noticed this morning, but it was quite a while before one of them plucked up the courage to come and talk to me!
And the upshot of the talk was? There's no point in building suspense for nothing! :)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

skirtyscot wrote:Generally a lot of the people you pass in the street will notice, though few will react visibly. However yesterday I was in London and I swear virtually nobody noticed. It was not just that nobody reacted: from time to time I would look at people coming towards me, and their gaze simply never fell upon me, not even a glance. It must be a big city thing, impersonal places that they are. A fellow human being in the street is no more than an object not to be bumped into. The Tube is most famous for it - it's not the done thing to interact with other passengers at all, not so much as to catch their eye. But it's nearly the same up on the streets as well.
I didn't know you was in London that day! So was I, we need to coordinate better so us guys can meet and say hello (at least!!!)

R
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

floatingmetal wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:I would look at people coming towards me, and their gaze simply never fell upon me, not even a glance.
You're not wrong. I look at pretty much everybody when I'm travelling around and see the same as you did.
Some tube lines can be more sociable than others. Any more interaction than a smile or nod and you find there's a good chance you find the person you're trying to talk to doesn't speak much if any English and not just as this time of year, Olympics or not. In fact I think I've seen fewer tourists travelling around than normal so far.
I travel regularly on the Central Line and I have to say not many people talk to each other unless they already know them - too many weirdo to risk it!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews