Half Slips

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Half Slips

Post by Since1982 »

Davy said: I will try to respond to all posts so far.
My goodness, you don't need to respond to all posts so far, just respond to stuff you have something new to add to. This site is a cornacopia of ideas changing regularly from day to day. :faint: :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

skirtyscot wrote:I've never tried a half slip. But as it will not be on display, any worries about feminine underwear are purely in your head! That said, I bet I would be thinking the same way - something just shouts "Noooooo!". On the other hand, a couple of my skirts are lined, and it does make them warmer, and what is the difference between a lined skirt and an unlined one with an underskirt? Or an unlined one which you have lined yourself?

I am in danger of contradicting myself more than once in this post; this is visceral, not rational!
Largely as a result of this thread, I took the plunge a few months ago and bought a couple of half slips. I was instantly converted! More comfortable than sitting on the denim or cord fabric of the skirt, allows the skirt to move more freely (esp over tights) ... basically everything you all said! It just took a little mental leap from "women's underwear" to "goes with a skirt". Mrs SS was not impressed at first "Now he's buying women's underwear!" but accepted them pretty quickly. And of course nobody else need know!

I even managed to find some without lacy hems, which pleased me quite a lot.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I have one I wear it under my kilt when it's cold and it makes the kilt swing better too
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I would just like to concur with the previous posts. There's no problem with wearing tights with skirts - they complement each other. Whether thick or sheer the type will depend upon the use or occasion. I wear sheer in warmer times and thick in cold times. Black is great for general wear but different colours can be worn to complement the skirt colour.

Slips are invaluable if worn with synthetics as they reduce the static cling. A static electric charge is developed which causes the material to cling together and cling to the body and the slip insulates the material from the body. The slips can be silk, nylon ( or other synthetics ) or cotton in various combinations. I am waiting for the right time to cadge some of them off my wife. She has loads of them that she doesn't wear as she very rarely wears a dress and never a skirt.

Sinned
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

There's a bagpiper not too far from here who wears something slip-like under his kilt. I've never asked what it is, but I don't think it looks right. Yes it is visible when he moves.

Martin
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Mine is at least 4 inches shorter than the kilt and never shows
the_scott_meister

Post by the_scott_meister »

I've got lots of slips of different lengths and colors. The right one for the right situation. But I usually only wear it when my skirt doesn't have a liner, or when it's especially cold.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I bought an Activskin "kilt liner"' about three years ago - a half slip for men! It is great under my tweed kilt whose material is rather itchy. It has significantly improved comfort wearing that kilt - with or without tights.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Here's an idea...If the name "half SLIP" bothers you for the female connotation, try calling them "half-skirts" which they are also known as...Just a thought. :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Basically I’m a comfort seeker. But comfort has always been fighting against hygiene factors, wind conditions, and decency considerations. The easier the outer wear to clean (shorts practically as easy as briefs), the more I have always (= since my childhood) avoided underwear. But kilts, especially traditional ones are in this respect not especially good. Therefore half slips under kilts and skirts to protect them make sense and for me my very thin short skirts from H&M, mentioned earlier in this thread, have made it. Easy to clean, invisible and without sacrificing comfort.

Wind, decency considerations, and temperature may still call for briefs or tights/leggings and very often do, however. So, even if I like skirted underwear under skirted garments, no one is to know what I'm actually wearing or not. And that is how I like it to be. Not very Scottish these protectors, but after all, I am no Scotsman.

The H&M skirts are no longer available but similar are from time to time to buy in the outlets.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Simple cheap solution: thinking as an historic reenactor I made a breach clout to wear under my kilt. I used a couple of bandannas and some inch wide elastic. The cotton is comfortable preventing wool chafing and the kilt stays clean.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Taj wrote:Simple cheap solution: thinking as an historic reenactor I made a breach clout to wear under my kilt. I used a couple of bandannas and some inch wide elastic. The cotton is comfortable preventing wool chafing and the kilt stays clean.
Interesting, Taj. I suppose the bandannas are just hanging down on the front and back?
GerdG

Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Yes, basically. I resized them to keep them shorter then the kilt hem and looped the top over an appropriately sized band of elastic for ease of putting on and comfort. Easy and fast to make and more ventilated than a half slip. Front and back were made narrow enough to be serviceable, provide adequate protection, and side vent.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Thank for the information, Taj. Years ago I suggested to J’dez http://www.jdez.com/men/underkilt/ to make kilt liners like that on the drawing. He never did. Also I don't know if it would work that way.

By the way, the Jdez site has not been updated for years. The only indication that the company still exists is that the home page must be paid for.
GerdG

skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Looks like Tarzan's loin cloth! Would work well though, would protect one's modesty better than a normal slip.

Maybe you should start making them, GerdG!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair