Do they really make UKilts in Seattle?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Do they really make UKilts in Seattle?

Post by couyalair »

A whole program about Seattle in tv last night ... all sections of society, alternative life styles, etc
... and not a single Utilikilt in sight !!!

Do they really exist over there?

Martin
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do they really make UKilts in Seattle?

Post by skirted_in_SF »

A guy I buy skirts from at a local street artist market here in San Francisco lives and works in Seattle. He knows the UK person in Seattle and in fact we were talking about him a couple of weeks ago. He told me the UK guy is the most unhappy looking person he knows. He could only speculate on why that would be.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

One thing about Utilikilts: They have become incredibly expensive. Just a few years ago I could buy a UK Original for $125. Now it is $215 and the cheapest being now the Mocker (more skirt like) for $200. Add to that in my case expensive freight to Europe, custom tax 12% and VAT 25%.

A pity, because I really like Utilikilts. And most competitors, like Freedom Kilts, are even more expensive. Perhaps they should consider production moved to Far East, like have all other clothing companies done years ago?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

But if UKs (like Scottish kilts) were not so expensive, they would not have the same prestige value.

Spending money si not enough; you have to be seen spending it --hence fancy labels on dull old clothes.

Martin
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Yea, and I do feel a little bit more "secure" wearing a Utilikilt with its logo on the behind than would I in a modern no-name kilt, which probably a few people more should take for a ladies' wrap skirt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Around Seattle you may occasionally see a man in a Utilikilt. Now not so uncommon as to be a novelty...but of course, the vast majority of men still follow the herd.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

GerdG wrote:Yea, and I do feel a little bit more "secure" wearing a Utilikilt with its logo on the behind than would I in a modern no-name kilt,
Really?
or are you pulling our leg, Greg.

Martin
skirtingseattle

Post by skirtingseattle »

Yes, they do. The main store is located in the older downtown section of Seattle right near Pioneer Square on 1st street. All staff who work there wear Utilikilts. I have been inside twice and it is pretty nice. I agree that the costs are a bit prohibitive, and as a result I have only bought a single Utilikilt (used, off of ebay). I have bought two more generic kilts from retailers online for a bit less than $100 each. If prices were more like $50, I would have a dozen. This is my most recent purchase from an eBay store that makes their own Utility Kilts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370549276874

Check out http://stores.ebay.com/MERCHMAMA-KILTS-FINDINGS-JEWELRY and filter on "Apparel" to see their Utility Kilts. Most items have the Buy Now or Best Offer option, and that's how I got my most recent purchase for $80. Not too bad.

The photo here doesn't do this Kilt justice. With a plain, dark color button up shirt, grey hiking socks and brown hiking shoes, with a dark windbreaker jacket, I have gotten compliments that the Kilt looked stunning. This is a very unusual piece.

I wear a Utilikilt around downtown Seattle about once a month or so (usually on the weekend), and I am definitely not the only one.

Chris
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

What skirtingseattle said. I used to work for them in 2005. Did quality control inspections and data entry for the shop. Prices went up a lot in the past 3-4 years. Part of the reason why I haven't been that interested in replacing the ones I sold or wore out. I can get a similar look at Value Village or Goodwill for 1/10th the cost, frequently a lot less.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

skirtingseattle wrote:
I wear a Utilikilt around downtown Seattle about once a month or so
That does make the chances of appearing in film pretty slender.

Martin
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

At the Irish Festival here in mid-Ohio, I see dozens upon dozens of men wearing kilts. Lots of tartan kilts and UK's. The UK tent is always packed with guys looking over the kilts and/or getting measured. Hence, I *know* there are many, many kilts hanging in people's closets in this area. Funny thing is, I very rarely seen them worn outside of festivals...
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It is definitely worth owning one of these garments.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I bought mine at the Celtic Festival in Dayton, Ohio several years ago for $150.00. I was the only one wearing one that year. This past summer I saw at least a dozen at the festival.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I believe I saw one this afternoon in SF. On Stockton street near Union Square. I tried to catch up with they guy wearing it, but he dashed across the street at a signal that I got caught at. There are a lot of tourists in that area. I did see one older couple walking toward us and the male half of the couple turned around for a second look at a guy in a UK.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I've got 2 UKs, a black one and the other, khaki. I've had the black one since 2001 and paid $135 for it. Now the same goes for $210... ouch! They're still great kilts. I like the black one the best because you can wear just about any other color shirt/t-shirt/sweater with it. Here's the black one...

http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 69&t=11800

--Rick