Will young men ever wear skirts?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Hemitom

Re: Will young men ever wear skirts?

Post by Hemitom »

The public perception of what is male/female clothing has to be neutralized before it will become a normal thing. The only way that will happen is if the world perceives skirts as a unisex fashion just like Tights,socks and anything else women wear that are considered male. men will have to start wearing them as normal. like nothing is different.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hemitom wrote:The public perception of what is male/female clothing has to be neutralized before it will become a normal thing. The only way that will happen is if the world perceives skirts as a unisex fashion just like Tights,socks and anything else women wear that are considered male. men will have to start wearing them as normal. like nothing is different.
Agreed. And that will only happen if people just go out and do it. The ever present "what comes first" question.

For me it's easy. i dress to suit myself when I'm on my time and to comply with my employers rules and expectations when I'm on the clock. I'm only on a short term contract at present so I don't want to be notivced for any reasons that distract from the value I bring to the company.

Have fun,

Ian
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:Agreed. And that will only happen if people just go out and do it. The ever present "what comes first" question.
I am 100% with Ian on this. Face it, nobody is going to "do this for us" -- we need to show some gumption and get out there and do it for ourselves.
For me it's easy. i dress to suit myself when I'm on my time and to comply with my employers rules and expectations when I'm on the clock. I'm only on a short term contract at present so I don't want to be notivced for any reasons that distract from the value I bring to the company.
That's sage advice. It's looking more and more like "short-term contracts" are the "new normal" so actually being a bit of an eccentric in the workplace is likely a hazard, but in your off-hours time what one wears is his own business. So when not on the clock indulge your curiosity and your own fashion sense.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi again Kieran,

Thanks for the acknowledgement - hope it is useful. One further thing on ladies sizing - A US size 10 is actually a UK 12, so I usually look for actual measurements - waist and length. If you like one particular one which doesn't have those sizes notes, you can PM them and they should get back to you pretty quick.

A denim one is a safe option, or black or even khaki are real possibilities. You could also search for "cargo skirt" for ones with deep side pockets.
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Surely you mean a US 10 is a UK 12?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

SKirtyscot,

Thanks for the correction - I did have it correct in my own mind but I swapped the US for UK when I wrote it down :oops: :oops:

Now corrected in the main text :D
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I have an answer to the ages old question, "What came first, the chicken or the egg"?

The answer is...The chicken did. There was once a mighty cloud configuration floating over the Earth and every once in a while something alive would waft down to the Earth for the first time. Aka Adam, Eve, A CHICKEN!! Etcetera and so on and so on...ad infinitum. :faint: ALSO, every once in a while something alive would waft back up to the mighty cloud..aka Dinosaurs etc. and so on....:thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
ramoninaskirt

Post by ramoninaskirt »

Since the marketing is only half hearted at best, young men will not be wearing skirts anytime soon, but they will be there to make fun of older guys that choose to wear them. Thats what I'm seeing where I live. No mainstream or even littlestream trend toward skirt wearing is active in the Lansing-Jackson area of Michigan. I do see some young people ( young men) wearing tights and colorful mismatched knee high stockings with baggy short pants. But no skirts.
' not just another pretty face'
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

ramoninaskirt wrote:Since the marketing is only half hearted at best, young men will not be wearing skirts anytime soon, but they will be there to make fun of older guys that choose to wear them.
I was wearing a black Union kilt. I'd filled the car with petrol and was going into the shop to pay. Some teenage boys made a comment about "He's wearing a skirt". I felt a bit off colour and their remark hit a nerve, so I retorted with "So what? Does it matter?". Hopefully one of them will think it through and find that it doesn't matter if a man wears a skirt.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Some teenage boys made a comment about "He's wearing a skirt".
That is just a response to seeing something a bit novel. We have moved from a situation of shock, disgust and disapproval to mere novelty.

That's what I call progress! Now we need to eliminate the novelty.

Stu
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I wish I was rich enough to carry through an idea I have. Making stretch waist, knee length, non-distinctive tartan skirts and donating them to various men's finishing schools around the world as an extra choice of something to wear other than the same humdrum choices they now have of pants, pants or pants. Doing the same thing as shorts do, but more comfortably.

If we could get the sons of the world's (or just one popular country's sons) Perhaps the USA or UK or AUSTRALIA'S "high class" families wearing them as an extra choice, it wouldn't be long before they became "mainstream", and then the tartan could go by the by opening the way for other patterns, lengths and colors. :thewave:

Opinions???
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

ramoninaskirt wrote:I do see some young people ( young men) wearing tights.
That is a step in the right direction. If people see men in tights often enough and stop thinking it's unusual, they will be more receptive to the idea of men wearing someting else which is normally only worn by women.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

ramoninaskirt wrote:I do see some young people ( young men) wearing tights...
Here in California, I wear tights/hose quite often with shorts and sometimes with skirts. A few looks but nothing too outrageous! :) IMHO, wearing tights in public with or without skirts/kilts, is a step in the right direction.

--Rick
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Excellent, KM! I don't know if it will ever catch on or not, but it ought to!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

skirtyscot wrote:Excellent, KM! I don't know if it will ever catch on or not, but it ought to!
Thanks, SS. I've posted a pic of me in my black Utilikilt wearing suntan hose [tights to those in the UK] a while back. I've found out that here in California, guys wearing black opaque tights will not get a second look because most people think they're sports tights. :)

--Rick