How Do Skirts Work In The Summer?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dans-le-Vent

How Do Skirts Work In The Summer?

Post by Dans-le-Vent »

When I started wearing skirts during the winter, it was splendorous. I would wear a pair of tights that were very athletic, probably made for people who jog and such and that worked out perfectly. But now(or at least for me), it's summer and with it's glorious sunshine, wearing a pair of tights with my skirt doesn't sound comfortable at all yet I would still like to wear something protective underneath, more specifically something that will prevent me from flashing the goods to the hoi polloi.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: How Do Skirts Work In The Summer?

Post by crfriend »

How do skirts work in the summer? One word: wonderfully. The key is to pick your look wisely and make it fit your self-image and body-type.

One of the nice things about skirts is that you can get them in a variety of fabrics that positively boggles the imagination -- from light and airy to fabrics that resemble upholstery and everything in between. Try finding that in trousers! I've found that I've developed a "three-season" wardrobe; one class of skirts (and accoutrements) are for wintertime, another for summer, and the third for spring and fall.

Obviously for the heat of the summer months lightweight fabric is best, but it's also transmissive so an underskirt (aka "slip") is usually recommended for opacity. Risk of "exposure" can be mitigated with undergarments or simply length; a calf-length skirt of lightweight fabric and an underskirt beneath will be vastly cooler than trousers and present minimal risk of flashing the universe. Very short skirts pretty much require the use of undergarments to keep one out of the glare of the local prudes.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I'd agree with Carl. There are many solutions to your dilemma. Wearing tights in summer is not a good idea by and large.
nicothoe
Distinguished Member

Post by nicothoe »

Around the house, I wear sarongs. They are a wonderful way to keep cool and feeling fresh. Probably not suitable for wearing outside in public, unless you're not afraid to expose a little bit of leg on occasion.

I have a several long cotton skirts that work extremely well in hot weather. Naturally, they are extremely lightweight, and flow freely in the breeze. They are easy to find, but often come in bright 'n' cheerful patterns. Colorful is not everyone's cup of tea.
2237-skirt-tiedyeskirt (1).jpg
Don't expect to go unnoticed wearing a skirt like the one above. Afterall, this is the type of skirt that celebrates summer. All I can say is that these skirts are fun, and extremely comfortable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be Bold. Be Skirted.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

nicothoe wrote:Around the house, I wear sarongs. They are a wonderful way to keep cool and feeling fresh. Probably not suitable for wearing outside in public, unless you're not afraid to expose a little bit of leg on occasion.
I have a long, true wrap skirt (ie opens all the way out to a flat piece of fabric and closed with a tie waist) that I've worn out a few time here in always breezy San Francisco. As Nicothoe said, you will expose a bit of leg from time to time. :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I think denim skirts are ideal in the summertime. In fact, I don't wear shorts anymore; I wear skirts instead. I have to wear undergarments though.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Dans-le-Vent wrote:at all yet I would still like to wear something protective underneath, more specifically something that will prevent me from flashing the goods to the hoi polloi.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
O yes, underwear - a must, at least with mini skirts.

GerdG
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.