Kilt Suggestions Please

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rogerbigfish

Re: Kilt Suggestions Please

Post by rogerbigfish »

Hi,

There are two sites that I would recommend, one in the U.S. and one in the U.K. The U.S. site is probably the biggest seller of kilt like garments in the States and is Utilikilts in Seattle. The English one is Midas Clothing in Manchester who have been making skirts for men for more than 4 years. Both companies have good websites which show mens skirts in a very positive way. If you wanted to show anyone that skirts look good on men then these sites will really help.

http://www.utilikilts.com/

http://www.midasclothing.com/

I hope these links help.

Roger.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Yes many of us have been there and done that! It's called family's non acceptance. In most cases while you are living under your families roof, your have to abide by their values. This is not to say that you have to conform to their their style wishes but their interpretation of what is "masculine". I have two children and wife that don't think I look masculine wearing a skirt. Pride is also involved where they feel that other people will judge them by what you are wearing.
Values do change over time but I wouldn't expect them to approve of your wishes anytime soon. In the meantime, they might consider it proper to find men wearing skirts at contra-dances, medieval or highland festivals. They may come around to thinking a skirt as a costume for men not a article of clothing which it should be. However, in your case, at least it would be a good start. Don't let your parents wishes dash your hopes to be a free spirit. Surround yourself by friends who are like-minded and let the transition to wearing a skirt be stress free as possible.
Mike
poszest16

Post by poszest16 »

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind for the future.

I was shopping on ebay for a skirt when I realized that ebay size chart is really whacked because some sellers said a size 10 was 29" and others said it was 33". So that was no way to know who was correct.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

poszest16 -

Both sellers could be correct since there is no uniform standard that clothing maufacturers abide by.
The tried and true method is the ole tape measure.
It makes a big difference where the skirt; kilt; skirted kilt; 'er' what have you will ride:
on the natural waist (navel) 3 inches below that or even lower waist and just plain falling off the hips.
Also the waist band on the skirt itself if it has an elastic (pull-on type skirt) waist or one that closes
with zipper and/or button or even velcro closing for that matter.
It is very important that you get all the details and the measurements agreed to before bidding on a
skirt or make sure the seller accepts returns with or without your paying the return postage.
One other factor is the HEM length (if the skirt breaks above - at - or below the knee). Too short
and the skirt can not be made bigger without major radical sewing. Too long - this might be the easiest
because it can be shortened; but not with a kilt where the hem is selvaged (bottom edge woven back
into the fabric). To do this requires a special sewing machine called a serger.
If you are not getting the measurements to see if the skirt is in the ball park for fitting; you would be
better to pass unless you have the time; money and like the challenge of altering ill fitting clothing.

"Custom-Short-Kilts-I-Like"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

poszest16 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind for the future.

I was shopping on ebay for a skirt when I realized that ebay size chart is really whacked because some sellers said a size 10 was 29" and others said it was 33". So that was no way to know who was correct.
As per my previous post that sounds like a UK size 10 (29" waist) then a US size 10 (33" waist) hence the important of tape measures.
poszest16

Post by poszest16 »

This is one reason I'm so confused because my skirt says size 10 nothing else but according to size charts my size is actually 16W-18W (Plus Sizes) and 20 (Misses). Weirdest thing I have ever seen. I want to thank "rogerbigfish" for sharing those websites. I just know there had to be a mens skirt manufacture out there. MidasClothing sells them for about as much as you would spend on a GOOD quality womens skirt about $50 to $60, Still a bit high for me but at least I got some good reference pictures when I go shopping. Thanks Again.

Using a measuring tape my natural waist is 36 1/2 inches and my hips are 42 inches.
For most of my life I always thought waist sizes were the same as jean sizes but that does not seem to be true since I wear a size 34 jean.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

poszest16 wrote:This is one reason I'm so confused because my skirt says size 10 nothing else but according to size charts my size is actually 16W-18W (Plus Sizes) and 20 (Misses). Weirdest thing I have ever seen. I want to thank "rogerbigfish" for sharing those websites. I just know there had to be a mens skirt manufacture out there. MidasClothing sells them for about as much as you would spend on a GOOD quality womens skirt about $50 to $60, Still a bit high for me but at least I got some good reference pictures when I go shopping. Thanks Again.

Using a measuring tape my natural waist is 36 1/2 inches and my hips are 42 inches.
For most of my life I always thought waist sizes were the same as jean sizes but that does not seem to be true since I wear a size 34 jean.
I have used Midas several times, they are good because firstly they measure using inches around the waist rather than the various female sizing systems. I have also found Midas have been really good at custom made skirts, I now have three of their cargo denim skirts, from the standard 20" length through to a floor length version. I like them a lot! I have bought one of their full circle skirts which is a good none denim skirt and also a Jean skirt, denim again.

http://www.denimskirts.com/ have also got a lot of denim skirts and their sizing chart is accurate. The skirts I have bought from here also have flies which zip "to the right" i.e. male style. The pockets are smaller but still just about big enough to hold an Iphone sized thing. They are also very well made.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

rogerbigfish wrote:There are two sites that I would recommend, ... Utilikilts in Seattle [and] ... Midas Clothing in Manchester [UK]
These are probably not cheap. I know Utilikilts run around $200 or more. I don't recall what Midas' skirts cost, but I doubt they're cheap, either.

The other issue is getting a good fit: if you can't actually go and try a skirt/kilt on, you stand a good chance of having to send it back once or twice before you get one that actually fits. (That was my experience with Utilikilts.)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

The Midas skirts tend to be from 50 to 70 UK pound, slightly more for special orders. I think they are well worth it for well made skirts cut for the male body shape. The skirts from the other site work out at a similar price once I pay the import taxes to get them into the UK.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Big and Bashful wrote:The Midas skirts ... [are] ... well made skirts cut for the male body shape.
What, exactly, is "the male body shape"? What single definition of "male body shape" would include, say, David Bowie, Hulk Hogan, Michael Jordan, my ex-wife's 700-pound friend, and Dame Edna, that would not also include a large fraction of the female population?

The usual male clothing styles manage to fit most men by either being so loose that anything can fit inside (traditional men's suits) or so shapeless that they simply stretch to fit whatever is inside (sweat suits, etc.) Even so, there is a whole industry of men's clothing for men who don't fit the standard shape, and I know some men who have to get all their clothes custom-made because nobody makes clothing in their shape & size.

One reason I don't like kilts I haven't made myself is because I can't get ones that actually fit me -- they're all made for some mythical Kilt-Man, not me. That includes the ones made to order by kilt makers.

Women have this problem worse than men, not so much because they have more variation in shape, but because women's styles are customarily cut closer to the body, so that a mismatch between their body shape and the body shape that the clothing was intended for is much more obvious. One reason women spend so much more time shopping for clothing than men is that they have to try on a lot more things before they find something that doesn't obviously not fit them. Some guys here complain about how so many women wear boring stuff like sweat pants and shirts or other "dumpy", stretchy styles, but they have the advantage that you don't have to spend half your life looking for something that fits.
poszest16

Post by poszest16 »

WOW... That sounded a bit like a healthy rage... Let it all out man. LOL. :D

I was talking to someone yesterday about men wearing skirts and he said that standard clothing sizes drive him crazy because his natural waist is actually much larger then his hips. He said he has to shop the young mens department for pants and the adult mens department for shirts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

AMM wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:The Midas skirts ... [are] ... well made skirts cut for the male body shape.
What, exactly, is "the male body shape"? What single definition of "male body shape" would include, say, David Bowie, Hulk Hogan, Michael Jordan, my ex-wife's 700-pound friend, and Dame Edna, that would not also include a large fraction of the female population?

The usual male clothing styles manage to fit most men by either being so loose that anything can fit inside (traditional men's suits) or so shapeless that they simply stretch to fit whatever is inside (sweat suits, etc.) Even so, there is a whole industry of men's clothing for men who don't fit the standard shape, and I know some men who have to get all their clothes custom-made because nobody makes clothing in their shape & size.

One reason I don't like kilts I haven't made myself is because I can't get ones that actually fit me -- they're all made for some mythical Kilt-Man, not me. That includes the ones made to order by kilt makers.

Women have this problem worse than men, not so much because they have more variation in shape, but because women's styles are customarily cut closer to the body, so that a mismatch between their body shape and the body shape that the clothing was intended for is much more obvious. One reason women spend so much more time shopping for clothing than men is that they have to try on a lot more things before they find something that doesn't obviously not fit them. Some guys here complain about how so many women wear boring stuff like sweat pants and shirts or other "dumpy", stretchy styles, but they have the advantage that you don't have to spend half your life looking for something that fits.
Oh get a life!
Tailored for a stereotypical male physique type as in a body without a large amount of flare betwixt and between waist and hip or something. I don't know, I'm not a tailor!
I do know that bieng a largish male I don't have a convenient ledge to hang a skirt off, so I need a tight waist line so that a skirt hangs on tightly to my body without falling down.
Yes I know people vary, yes I know not all women have small waists and large hips, yes I know some men have a better shape than a portly blob like myself.

I also know that the skirts I have bought from Midas seem to be made for a body without so much flare at the hips, i.e. stereotypical male type. Which is good, because that is what they are supposed to do.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't contribute much to this forum these days!
gael4ce

Post by gael4ce »

the easiest way to find a skirt that fits a male is to look on ebay ,or somesuch auction fordropped waist skirts,or other wording meaning skirts worn usually worn 2 or so inches below natural female waist,SHAZAM!!!you have a mans skirt. as a sz 14 skirt usually 34 in becomes a 36,with same hip as a a34-and you can reverse buckles on a kilt skirt just get right hip measure go for it and may the skirt force be with you-Gael
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I don't buy skirts or anything else from eBay anymore. I've had too many problems with skirts that either weren't complete or fell apart within a couple of weeks after recieving. If eBay's return and refund policy were as good as it used to be, I'd still buy there, but the last 2 times I bought there I got inferior goods and eBay didn't stand behind anything and I ended up getting screwed. :faint:

eBay passes you on to Paypal or your credit card company and neither of those want eBay's warantees and nothing happens except promises that don't come true. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
poszest16

Post by poszest16 »

Don't you mean the eBay sellers. I think eBay needs to start enforcing general policies on their sellers like amazon does. Also they need to enforce some rules with these silly AS-IS auctions. DONE AND DONE. :mrgreen: