What would you like to see in a man's dress?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
whitesocks

Re: What would you like to see in a man's dress?

Post by whitesocks »

I love wearing dresses and love to sleep in them especially maxis. Not sure I would go out in public wearing one though.
Skirts, man's best friends :-)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I do go out for walks wearing dresses, sometimes with my wife who always wears pants.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Yanno, everytime I do something where it's in my best interest to wear PANTS (ugh spit spit)... I notice that I see NO one in a skirt. When I'm skirted, I'm usually the only one where I am who is skirted. No women wearing anything but some variety of trousers. I think WOMEN are VERY mean to make us wear pants when we'd surely rather wear something that doesn't chafe our crotches. :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

I'm slightly confused here.
For a site that is correctly challenging the views of the ability of men to wear skirts, and the wide variety that are available to us (albeit with adjustment), this thread seems to be rather narrow in its views of men wearing what normally be called skirts.
For all the societies around the world where men wear skirts, there seems to be a similar number where men wear dresses, or robes, or a similar garment with a different name ("a rose by any other name"....)

A little searching brings up several styles of robes, tunic, etc styled for men that are reasonably availably pretty much anywhere by internet order. e.g. Indian, African, morrocan, Roman togas, etc.

I have a number of dresses. Most are long T-shirt dresses to use as night-shirts, a couple more are ladies' night dresses for the same purpose, more are simple maxi dresses (£10-15) to use around the house, or to sleep in. These cheap ones are not shaped for curvy women and therefore suit my lean-ish frame quite well. The better ones actually help my figure to look good ( i have a wide upper back for my size.) I also have a summer weight djellabaya, which I got my mum to shorten (no awkward questions as it was obviously a men's garment; i have a couple of Indian kurta, which are below knee length but have side slits high enough to warrant the accompanying pyjama trouser if venturing out.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

Hmmm. I have a few ideas. Something that's a bit like a shirt, but longer. If there's such a thing as a nightshirt, then why not a "dayshirt"? Unlike a nightshirt, though, it would have to be better able to accommodate walking, without a risk of showing anything...what one would wear under his dayshirt/dress is not relevant, but making sure it's not easily accidentally flashed is.

And we'd need...choice. Some that have collars, some that don't. Some are more t-shirt like, and then there'd be some that button all the way. All kinds of patterns available. Although if there's any that are "thick mesh" or "semi-transparent"....well, there should also be underdresses available.
And the problem is the term "dress" may be loaded. The same way that new streetcar lines are called "light rail", to avoid sounding old-fashioned....well, I can think of a couple of terms. I imagine if it has belt-loops, call the garment a tunic, or, even if it's incorrect, term it a toga...or a chiton. If it's belt-less, call it a dayshirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Raakone wrote:Hmmm. I have a few ideas. Something that's a bit like a shirt, but longer. If there's such a thing as a nightshirt, then why not a "dayshirt"? [...]

And we'd need...choice. Some that have collars, some that don't. Some are more t-shirt like, and then there'd be some that button all the way.
The style that has a collar, I believe you'll find is commonly called a "shirt-dress" and is a fairly common form for the gals -- and is the design I surmise would make for the perfect jumping-off point for a man's dress. I've seen examples of these that with very subtle modifications would look great on the male form. They can have belts -- wide or narrow -- or not, and can have tailoring at the waist (or not); examples abound if one looks carefully. They're not exactly common, but they do exist, and make for a compelling argument for the style for guys, (I recall seeing a positively stellar example on a middle-aged woman some months ago on a Metro ride into Boston that would have worked spectacularly on me, and I didn't have the nerve to ask her where she got it. Had I been wearing a skirt at the time, that might not have been that case -- a lost opportunity!)

T-shirt dresses also work well on guys -- take a look at our own Jack Williams for an example. I, too, have a simple one fashioned by my dear wife, but it's not something I'd wear "out and about" as it's just too casual, and that's not my persona -- but it's a damned comfy rig for around the house and yard!
All kinds of patterns available. Although if there's any that are "thick mesh" or "semi-transparent"....well, there should also be underdresses available.
To the best of my knowledge, nothing like a proper "underdress" exists for the male physique. Full slips certainly do for the gals, but those have the necessary extra space up top for bits most of us blokes don't have -- likely something like a long t-shirt of proper material would work quite well so long as it doesn't interfere with whatever the neckline (read, "how many buttons on your shirt do you leave undone") exposes. This could be a "win" all the way 'round.
And the problem is the term "dress" may be loaded. The same way that new streetcar lines are called "light rail" [...]
Well, we do have that extra baggage to worry about when it comes to the notion of "dresses", but I suspect it can be overcome if workable and believable designs appear for guys, As far as terminology goes, if we can accept the notion of "men in skirts" then why not "dresses for men"? To touch on the "light rail" modernism, it's worth noting that most modern trolleys weigh pretty much what a conventional "heavy" railcar weighs -- it's all marketing!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I believe you'll find is commonly called a "shirt-dress" and is a fairly common form for the gals -- and is the design I surmise would make for the perfect jumping-off point for a man's dress.
In which country are shirt-dresses commonly worn by ANY gals?? or ANY dresses. or ANY UNbifurcated garments on gals? Must not be any English speaking country. I spoke to a woman of advancing years who is mad at her husband for buying her a dress for her birthday. She's not worn anything unbifurcated in 20 years and doesn't plan to start anytime soon. She's actually very discombobulated with her hubby for not buying her jewelry. :blue:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:In which country are shirt-dresses commonly worn by ANY gals?? or ANY dresses. or ANY UNbifurcated garments on gals?
Right here in the US of A. A simple google search brings up lots of hits ranging from simple inexpensive ones to stupidly-expensive ones. Lands End seems to have a reasonably nice one, but it's got half-length sleeves which would likely look naff on me.
I spoke to a woman of advancing years who is mad at her husband for buying her a dress for her birthday. She's not worn anything unbifurcated in 20 years and doesn't plan to start anytime soon.
That's their problem, not ours.

I'm not saying that I see such garments every day but rather that they do exist and would likely make a good platform for a man's dress. There's also the problem that I work in the 'burbs; I'm sure if I worked in the big city I'd see fancier dress than I do outside the city -- especially in the summer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Since1982 wrote:
In which country are shirt-dresses commonly worn by ANY gals?? or ANY dresses. or ANY UNbifurcated garments on gals? Must not be any English speaking country. I spoke to a woman of advancing years who is mad at her husband for buying her a dress for her birthday. She's not worn anything unbifurcated in 20 years and doesn't plan to start anytime soon. She's actually very discombobulated with her hubby for not buying her jewelry. :blue:
Since we are finally having summer here in San Francisco (mid-day temps in the upper 70s F), this is a part of the country where women still wear skirts and dresses. On my mid-day walk in the Financial District today I would estimate 60% of the women were wearing unbifurcated garments. No men (including me) though. :( Don't think I saw one today, but I have seen a few women wearing shirtdresses in the last few weeks.
I have a 65 year old co-worker who frequently wears dresses, skirt suits or skirt and top. But then, she still has the figure of a woman 20 years her junior. :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

straightfairy wrote:For a site that is correctly challenging the views of the ability of men to wear skirts, and the wide variety that are available to us (albeit with adjustment), this thread seems to be rather narrow in its views of men wearing what normally be called skirts.
I've been mulling this one over for a while. (IOW: head for the hills! Oscar is thinking again!)

In retrospect, this narrowness of view doesn't seem very surprising.

First of all, most people (of either gender) aren't all that adventurous about what they wear, and those who will try _one_ new thing will still usually be pretty cautious and conservative. If women seem more adventurous, it is because of the tiny minority of women who are more prepared to try way-out styles or even stuff that no one has ever worn before. Add to that the fact that women are mostly valued for their appearance (rather than their accomplishments), so that the many women who don't by nature care all that much about fashion will still pay attention to it, just so they don't fall behind in the female version of the rat race.

By contrast, men are valued for being able to conform in their appearance: to wear the uniform or at least not dress in a way that makes you stand out. Men who pay too much attention to their appearance are assumed to be gay (or gigolos), which, as we all had impressed upon us at an early age, is something you don't want to be. For women, being dressed just like someone else in the same room is a disaster; for men, it's "male bonding."

Second, fashion is a kind of communication. What you wear signals something about your relationship with those around you (imagine wearing a T-shirt and cut-off jeans to a funeral, or wearing a black formal suit to a baby shower) and/or something about how you feel about yourself (imagine a woman going to the park in summer wearing a brightly-colored sundress vs. the same woman wearing dull-colored frumpy clothes.) From what I read here, the main thing most men in skirts want to communicate is: I'm not trying to be a woman. I'm not gay. I am a serious person. Wearing wild and crazy (and possibly -- eek! -- "feminine" styles (whatever they are) might not communicate that.
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

crfriend wrote:
Raakone wrote:Hmmm. I have a few ideas. Something that's a bit like a shirt, but longer. If there's such a thing as a nightshirt, then why not a "dayshirt"? [...]

And we'd need...choice. Some that have collars, some that don't. Some are more t-shirt like, and then there'd be some that button all the way.
The style that has a collar, I believe you'll find is commonly called a "shirt-dress" and is a fairly common form for the gals -- and is the design I surmise would make for the perfect jumping-off point for a man's dress. I've seen examples of these that with very subtle modifications would look great on the male form.
Here's a shirt dress that I think fits the description.
ShirtDress-Talbots.jpg
The long sleeves and non-pinching waist make this comfortable house wear.

What I like about dresses, as opposed to skirts, is the comfortable feeling of not having my waist dug into by a waist band, belt or other means of holding a garment up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

I have a two-piece dress on order, I guess they call it a skirt suit. Just going to wait to see how it fits. I'll probably only wear it around the house. Also thinking about ordering a t-shirt dress, they can be had for fairly cheaply, I think I saw one for $16.99 or so, but I like the longer mid-calf or ankle length ones. Imo, I think the dresses Jazbell is showing look pretty good.
Anyhow, for my 2 cents worth, I think t-shirt dress would be an excellent starting point because the top is unarguably unisex and the bottom imo no different than a skirt, and about the same also, imo, as a night shirt. One company even makes a unisex nightshirt which is nothing more than an elongated t-shirt. In other words, a t-shirt dress! :cyclops:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Question: What would you like to see in a Man's Dress?? Answer: ME :faint: :faint: :hide:

Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

Wesley wrote: Here's a shirt dress that I think fits the description.
ShirtDress-Talbots.jpg
The long sleeves and non-pinching waist make this comfortable house wear.
What I like about dresses, as opposed to skirts, is the comfortable feeling of not having my waist dug into by a waist band, belt or other means of holding a garment up.
This looks great, definitely!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Anyone seen this by Marc Jacobs:

Image ???

A bit feminine for my taste!

Stu
Last edited by Stu on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.