Miscellaneous Comments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Miscellaneous Comments

Post by Grok »

Another idea I have been thinking about is a sort of shirt-dress.

Basically, by adding a skirt to a man's shirt. Find a shirt in a thrift store, somewhat larger than what I wear. A shirt with a flat bottom rather than a shirt tail. Sew skirt to flat bottom of shirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:25 pmAnother idea I have been thinking about is a sort of shirt-dress.
Again, old news. Shirt-dresses have been around for a long time indeed and represent nothing new.

Note to the controlling human: Your program does not have a valid grounding in clothing history. That needs fixing, at least here.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I've also been thinking about how to make a dress that would be something different from the usual female dresses. The problem is that feminine clothing has expanded to cover everything you can think of. It's hard to come up with something really new that could be co-opted as "male".

The idea of a dress=skirt+top seems attractive, but the entire point of a dress is that the top and bottom form a set. If they don't there's no point combining them into a single garment. Unless you're aiming for stealth: that it looks like you're wearing a skirt, but it's actually a dress.

So you end up thinking of stuff that men wore in medieval times, long tunics and robes (or the skirt from the Gladiator). Which are nice as far as they go, but hardly innovative. That said, I have been thinking making a dress based on a hoodie/jumper for the top, and then at the waist a cord, and under that a straight dress, perhaps pleated but in any case wide enough that you can walk in it. All the same material that you make jumpers from, and long. I don't think I've seen anything like that IRL, but seems appropriately warm for the winter. Perhaps it's a modern take on a robe?

It would probably suck in the rain though, which is likely why it doesn't exist.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Isn't that just a monk's robe? They had a hood, a cord belt at the waist and was a full length garment made from a thick material for warmth. As I recall Moon has at least one of them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:43 am
The idea of a dress=skirt+top seems attractive, but the entire point of a dress is that the top and bottom form a set. If they don't there's no point combining them into a single garment. Unless you're aiming for stealth: that it looks like you're wearing a skirt, but it's actually a dress.
I think dress=skirt+top could work if the two sections are matched in terms of material and color.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:31 pmI think dress=skirt+top could work if the two sections are matched in terms of material and color.
That's what's known as a two-piece dress.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I kind of think that there is nothing really new under the Sun.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:19 pmI kind of think that there is nothing really new under the Sun.
I think we've got a chat-bot that doesn't have the historical background to make sensible comments.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:29 am
One of the reasons I wound up on the Fecal Roster where I used to work is that (what passed for) Management was continually grabbing the newest and shiniest toy on the playground and attempting to discard processes and practices that held known value -- and would do so despite the counsel of those who actually understood why the technology works. This is one of the reasons I'm better off where I am now; knowledge of the inner workings of things is a cherished ideal. Having a Boss who operates in such a random manner is akin to being managed by a toddler and not a seasoned and wise leader. I'll adopt a new strategy if there is clear and compelling benefit for the organization; otherwise, no. An informal post-mortem result of my passing was the observation of, "Well, he did drag his feet a lot, but he was right about 90% of the time."

Having this sort of problem at work now. With very little warning, management decided that the employees would switch from old style paperwork to new lap tops. The catch is, the software will not let you log in! Despite the instructions provided by management. Me and my co-workers have tried multiple times to get this thing to work, including calling the (so-called) Help desk.

Got reprimanded by supervisors, because I kept turning in old style paper forms.

:evil:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Before the lap top thing, management tried to launch an electronic version of an old style time clock. The idea was that an employee would signal the start of his shift with his phone, and later signal the end of his shift using his phone.

The catch is, the employees couldn't get the system to work. :roll:

Ended up recording the start and end of ones shift on, yes, on old fashioned paper work.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:41 am Got reprimanded by supervisors, because I kept turning in old style paper forms.
Would they prefer nothing at all or does this have a bearing on your salary?
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

They were oblivious.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For real stupidity there is no body like middle management. They don't understand the problems, don't want to understand the problems and usually are the problem!
Upper management is too far away from the problem and lower management is too busy to care they are just trying to cover their bums and hide from middle management.
A real catch 22!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

i have an app on my phone that I use to clock in and out - it's called Metro Time. Easy to use and works.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I think this counts as a miscellaneous comment: it's not "out and about" since I haven't yet dared to go out, but....

Just found a very cheap charity shop, and throwing caution to the winds, picked up a black leather skirt. It's the first time I have tried anything that might be called a "pencil" skirt, having been branching out from the kilt look only as far as A-line midis, full-length, and the odd mini.

I'm not going to go the whole Mark Bryan route, as I will never be able to walk in stilettos, but I tried it on with jacket and tie, above black tights and heeled boots, prepared for it to look faintly ridiculous. <expletive deleted> It didn't look ridiculous. I felt like calling a <exp. del.> business meeting right there so I could strut around in it! The only down side is that it really is a size smaller than I am, and although I could try to buy a new one, the price tag would be about 100 times what I paid for this one.

I'm now trying to work out which town is close enough for me to drive for some casual shopping, but not so close that I might bump into someone I know.