Miscellaneous Comments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Miscellaneous Comments

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:
For the record, at the moment I'm 53 (with that number increasing by one with each passing year until I exhaust my ration). There are guys younger here, and guys older. Of note is that to a one we have all taken umbrage with the style options afforded men and decided to become "early adopters" of a new, more vibrant, regime. We are not the "sticks in the mud" we might make ourselves out to be.
I distinguish between a genuine innovation, on the one hand, and a toy or gimmick on the other.

I don't want to be bothered with other peoples' gimmicks.

In terms of Information technology, some uses have been innovative and useful. (I'm not entirely a stick in the mud). In terms of mens' clothing, Western civilization could be considered extremely laggard compared to some other societies.

Interesting comment, crfriend, regarding your coworkers. How, exactly, does this "new, vibrant, regime" look and feel like? Considering how conservative the work place tends to be, I have trouble imagining something besides the same old/same old.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was at the dentists today and we had a mini discussion on men and skirts. She said that she doesn't wear skirts simply because she wears the NHS trousers and top at work and she's simply got out of the habit of wearing a skirt. I said that I wear a skirt sometimes and she did say that it is more common than people imagine for men to wear a skirt. Now whether that means that she has other patients that do or she knows other men that wear a skirt wasn't gone into. I did mention that at work I see less than 20 women per day that wear a skirt or a dress and if I wanted to dress like a woman ( as MOH intimates ) then I would wear leggings or jeans. She seemed very supportive of men's skirts. Today MOH was at work so, apart from my brief time at my dental appointment where I wore trousers ( MOH has the same dentist and I fear that there would be trouble if she found out that I attended an appointment skirted ) I wore a skirt for most of today which included a visit to ASDA ( there I bought two wrap skirts for £2.50 each ).

As for computers I was an early adopter of home computers going from the Sinclair to the BBC to the PC. When I bought it was a reasonable specification and I ran that box until it died or couldn't perform for the latest OS that Microshaft brought out. I still have my BBC's but don't really get time to use them. They still work and I nostalgically play some of the games and I still have the books that detail the BASIC language and the OS features. I don't do gimmicks and my latest acquisition was a Kindle Paperwhite ( a Christmas present from MOH ) which I use often to read mainly free books but I do sometimes purchase books that are favourites. I find it useful but I still read paper versions that I pick up at Poundland for the amazing price of 1£ and I generally pass the books on when I have read them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Interesting comment, crfriend, regarding your coworkers. How, exactly, does this "new, vibrant, regime" look and feel like? Considering how conservative the work place tends to be, I have trouble imagining something besides the same old/same old.
That comment wasn't about my workplace, that comment was about the folks who frequent and follow SkirtCafe!

Good practitioners of computing tend to be very conservative in their work methodologies, but the very best can wheel on a dime when something truly new and important comes about. The very worst are the ones who read about all the "groundbreaking" stuff in either PC Mag or CI0 Mag, both of which are rags that should be banned as they do nothing but foster "Toddler Mode" ("Oooh! New!! Shiny!!!) in Management types who not truly "grok" the technology. Outright technicians, who can be absolute sticklers when it comes to the technology (which they should be), can also be surprisingly liberal in other areas and tend to be an accepting lot. This doesn't mean you won't find the occasional Neanderthal, but those are usually refreshingly absent from the picture.

An interesting thing, though, is that nobody's so much as batted an eyelash at my choice of skirts. I am going off-site tomorrow for lunch with members of a sister-company that's in the area, and for that it's going to be trousers and a tie, mainly as a show of respect during the initial meeting. They can learn about my skirts later.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Regarding change....I first heard of 3D printing in relation to prototyping, some years back. Earlier this week I went into a UPS store and saw a fabber (described as a factory in a box). A store employee told me that the device uses the same plastic used in Legos, and has seven different colors.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't even have a machine that puts ink or powder onto paper so one that striates plastic is many years away for me. Just for interest, how for in the future will it be before someone develops the software for the hardware that will produce life-sized ( or bigger, most likely ) plastic p*nises. Now, someone will add to this post with a link to a site where this is already possible. Please NOOOOOOO!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Quite literally in the interests of science....

http://www.livescience.com/46141-penis-size-girth.html
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

renesm1 wrote:Quite literally in the interests of science....

http://www.livescience.com/46141-penis-size-girth.html
Even as a Moderator and ultimately Master Barista I do NOT want to go there.

Would my seconds be so brave? :lol:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm: Skirt Cafe' IS NOT the place for this type of
scientific discussion.
Granted, all that was posted was
a "link", but this message does not adhere to the
"Family-Friendly" guidelines.

I may beat Carl to the punch on this one but if anything
further shows up 'as discussion', the axe will fall from my
hand - PRONTO :twisted:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sorry, your worships, ladies and gentlemen, I didn't mean to cause consternation in the ranks, I didn't really want any links as I could google it if I wanted I just wanted to point out that any new technology is open to abuse ( just like social media and the internot ) and quite often very quickly. Case closed.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: terminology

Post by Grok »

I have suggested the use of the word "maverick". Perhaps this would be a good alternative? http://en.wikimannia.org/Zeta_male
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: terminology

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I have suggested the use of the word "maverick". Perhaps this would be a good alternative? http://en.wikimannia.org/Zeta_male
The original assertion [0] of this is actually a pretty good read, and I suspect describes some of the guys here fairly well. It may be a bit of a lengthy read for some (depending on how fast you read), but I think worth the time.

It is, indeed, time to kick the old ideas to the kerb because it's a brave new world out there, and most of us had no part in creating it.

[0] Of note is that there are assertions of state-level censorship against the site in question, at least in the UK. I am unsure of the veracity of those.
whorton

Post by whorton »

Ordered a really cute skirt from Dickies. Since I had no idea how their sizing ran, I ran down to wally world and tried their skirts on. a 14 seemed perfect, yet the skirt I received is a bit too tight. . Now I have to send it back to exchange it. Hoping a 16 will be adequate, but I am wondering if perhaps I should order an 18 (which I generally wear. . .)

Drat!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Noooooooooo. Too much scope for flaming as has been evidenced in other threads. Not everyone believes that there has been warming, if man is actually the perpetrator - the sun actually has more of an immediate effect on the earth's climate than any of the greenhouse gas effects. So please add global warming to the list of banned topics such s politics.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Grok wrote:Would anybody be interested in a thread about climate change?
A response I have given when someone asked why I was wearing a skirt: "just preparing for climate change"
For some reason that ended the conversation which is a pity because I quite like talking about skirts or climate change.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Male Categories

Post by Grok »

The word "Alpha" has seen occasional use, and seems to be a metaphor from wolf packs. Looked up wolf packs online. For male wolves, the hierarchy is:

1. Alpha. Leader of the pack. Dominates all other males. Only male that reproduces. First to eat at a kill.

2. Beta. Submissive only to the Alpha. All other wolves are submissive to Alpha and Betas.

3. The wolves in the middle. Subordinate to the Alpha and Betas.

4. Omegas. At the bottom. May serve as a safety valve, as the other males may vent their aggression on him.

Of course, the wolf pack metaphor doesn't apply completely to human society-Alphas aren't the only men to reproduce.

If we adapt wolf pack terminology to humans, we can place these different rankings in terms of human institutions:

1. An Alpha may be a general, or the CEO of a company. A very few Alphas may become rulers of countries.

2. Betas may be lieutenants, or middle management.

3. I have seen the term Delta applied to the average man.

4. Omegas. Losers.

I have seen a few other categories proposed for some men, such as a Lone Wolf archetype.

I have seen the different male categories rated online in terms of their attractiveness to women. And, of course, a woman's physical appearance is her greatest asset in the mating game. The average man-a Delta-may hope to marry a woman of average appearance, and reproduce. You know who the beauties will go for.