Miscellaneous Comments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dale

Re: Miscellaneous Comments

Post by Dale »

Just speaking for myself, I guess I am quite happily wearing a FUG (Female equivalent of MUG). They are readily available at low cost. I have no problem with that, all other wardrobe components are male.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Following links from Ralph's blog I came across the term "drab." Refers to the typically boring male attire. A term I think would be all too relevant to this forum.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Following links from Ralph's blog I came across the term "drab." Refers to the typically boring male attire. A term I think would be all too relevant to this forum.
I very frequently use the term "drab" to describe what men's fashion looks like today; it's very appropriate.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Grok wrote:Following links from Ralph's blog I came across the term "drab." Refers to the typically boring male attire. A term I think would be all too relevant to this forum.
"In drab" is also standard terminology on the crossdressing forums to describe being dressed in male clothes.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Indeed, one of the links led to a CD site with a glossary. One other term listed sounds like psychiatric jargon, "heteronormative." I suspect an implication is Trousers Tyranny for males.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Came across a list of companies producing "androgynous" clothing. One person commented that the "androgyny" amounted to women appropriating male styles. In regards to other "androgyny" web sites, the vast majority are about women appropriating what were male styles. So it seems that "androgyny" essentially means the same as "unisex"-women appropriating male styles, while men remain stuck in the same old/same old.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The other day, another middle aged person described the two of us as "techno dinosaurs." Meaning, laggards in adopting new technology. Slow to adopt, and when we do, we opt for the more basic options that are offered.

I was slow to go online (14 years ago) and to get a cell phone (4 years ago).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I was slow to go online (14 years ago) and to get a cell phone (4 years ago).
There is nothing wrong with "being behind the curve" when it's appropriate to be there. Simply adopting the newest of newfangled gadgets because they're there points up more of a fad-based mentality than a thoughtful one where adoption is based on well-established needs rather than following the herd (to the Apple Store, for instance).

I operate in a needs-based mode; if I feel that there is a compelling need for something, I'll either adopt it or invent it. What I won't do is rush blindly for the newest, shiniest, gadget. That's "toddler mode".

Knowing the difference is where wisdom comes into play.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm with Crl on this. I have had over 14 years working in a technological environment upgrading with the latest gizmos in the commercial field of bonking. Privately, I buy what I need so in a phone for example I want it to voice and text. All the other functionality is wasted as I don't take photos with it or connect to the internot or play games or any of the other, to me, unnecessary things that have been added. My computers are used until they die or become unable to function with the new technology. I am still using a laptop with Win98 on it although it still thinks that it's 1994 because it won't accept a date beyond 1999! Doesn't seem to cause a problem with the things I use it for. Maybe one day I'll retire it but it is light and portable and most of the i/o devices reside in it's ducking station. When I change my phone I usually get the hand-me-down from a family member who has decided to upgrade. Not had a brand new phone for over 20 years. I also try to recycle where possible but I also tend to hoard things knowing that they'll come in useful the day after I junk them!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

With respect to Win98, there should be a patch for Y2K. We had an old Fujitsu notebook that ran 98. Had no problems knowing that it was 2008.

We retired it in 2009, when a relative gave my mother his Sony Vaio notebook, which ran XP. She now uses a Dell notebook, which, at the moment is still running XP SP3. I need to figure out which way I'm going to update it to 7, that way it's somewhat secure. Probably going to use a Vista install disc, then upgrade to 7 that way. The rest of our WIndows-based machines are running either 7 Pro or 7 Ultimate. All of our daily drivers are machines that were produced in the 2006-08 timeframe. Except for my sister's work notebook, which dates from 2010. The non-daily drivers date between 1983 and 1993.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I'm wondering if part of the difference is generational. I just turned 58. I grew up without video games, cell phones, internet. If I was a child today, I imagine that I would try every possibility as part of play.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I'm wondering if part of the difference is generational. I just turned 58. I grew up without video games, cell phones, internet. If I was a child today, I imagine that I would try every possibility as part of play.
It could be partly generational, but in large part I tend to put it down to a lack of overall discipline. New things can be extraordinarily useful; they can also be frivolous wasters of our time and energy.

One of the reasons I wound up on the Fecal Roster where I used to work is that (what passed for) Management was continually grabbing the newest and shiniest toy on the playground and attempting to discard processes and practices that held known value -- and would do so despite the counsel of those who actually understood why the technology works. This is one of the reasons I'm better off where I am now; knowledge of the inner workings of things is a cherished ideal. Having a Boss who operates in such a random manner is akin to being managed by a toddler and not a seasoned and wise leader. I'll adopt a new strategy if there is clear and compelling benefit for the organization; otherwise, no. An informal post-mortem result of my passing was the observation of, "Well, he did drag his feet a lot, but he was right about 90% of the time."

For the record, at the moment I'm 53 (with that number increasing by one with each passing year until I exhaust my ration). There are guys younger here, and guys older. Of note is that to a one we have all taken umbrage with the style options afforded men and decided to become "early adopters" of a new, more vibrant, regime. We are not the "sticks in the mud" we might make ourselves out to be.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

cr:
You are APT to fit the profile of the cartoon character "DILBERT" although your pictures be lie the notion !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Grok wrote:I'm wondering if part of the difference is generational. I just turned 58. I grew up without video games, cell phones, internet. If I was a child today, I imagine that I would try every possibility as part of play.
It could be partly generational, but also partly what strikes your interest.
I'm 62 and don't have anything to do with video game (though I worked for a company that made them in 1994), I'm one of the last people in the western world without a cell phone and have no interest in getting one, but was an early adopter of personal computers. I first started thinking about getting one after building a calculator kit from MITS in 1973 when I was in college. The were just starting their line of Altair computers at that time. I thought about it again around 1977 when I was employed and had money but knew that I was a lousy programmer and you pretty much had to program your own in those days. It was 1983 before I got my first computer because I could run Wordstar and Supercalc on it. Having PC skills at the time was a less common and attractive item for your resume then. The internet came much later after being exposed to Fido(net?) through PC user groups and later AltaVista through the library's terminals.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco