Miscellaneous Comments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Miscellaneous Comments

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:25 am I think this counts as a miscellaneous comment: it's not "out and about" since I haven't yet dared to go out, but....

Just found a very cheap charity shop, and throwing caution to the winds, picked up a black leather skirt. It's the first time I have tried anything that might be called a "pencil" skirt, having been branching out from the kilt look only as far as A-line midis, full-length, and the odd mini.

I'm not going to go the whole Mark Bryan route, as I will never be able to walk in stilettos, but I tried it on with jacket and tie, above black tights and heeled boots, prepared for it to look faintly ridiculous. <expletive deleted> It didn't look ridiculous. I felt like calling a <exp. del.> business meeting right there so I could strut around in it! The only down side is that it really is a size smaller than I am, and although I could try to buy a new one, the price tag would be about 100 times what I paid for this one.

I'm now trying to work out which town is close enough for me to drive for some casual shopping, but not so close that I might bump into someone I know.
I got a few trial skirts from an online thrift store. Downside is you can only see pictures. Upside is they’re cheap. Really cheap like $6 each. Had a few that although I specified I only wanted a lines (cause that’s what the internet said was good for guys) a few were pencil-ish according to my wife. I didn’t like them cause they restricted walking movement to shorter steps. I hated that. You find it similar? Or not a problem for you?
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 pm I didn’t like them cause they restricted walking movement to shorter steps. I hated that. You find it similar? Or not a problem for you?
Judging from a quick internet trawl, it might possibly qualify as an A-line mini, though any outward flare on it is minimal. It's 22 inches long, so still noticeably above the knee, and it doesn't catch me round the legs unless I take an unusually large stride up a step or something. I wouldn't want something that restricted my walking (and I don't often like the look of pencil skirts on other people, because they just look uncomfortable for that reason).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:10 pm
ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 pm I didn’t like them cause they restricted walking movement to shorter steps. I hated that. You find it similar? Or not a problem for you?
Judging from a quick internet trawl, it might possibly qualify as an A-line mini, though any outward flare on it is minimal. It's 22 inches long, so still noticeably above the knee, and it doesn't catch me round the legs unless I take an unusually large stride up a step or something. I wouldn't want something that restricted my walking (and I don't often like the look of pencil skirts on other people, because they just look uncomfortable for that reason).
I tend to be quite active and was stepping up on a chair when it restricted my step. Thought eff that. That one went back. Few others had a restriction with longer steps. Again, not for me. One of the things I really like about a skirt is the ability to move unhindered.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

I am a bit different in that the restricted feeling while walking which a pencil skirt naturally provides is something I like. It enhances in a certain way the feeling that I am wearing a skirt. Although a pleat in the back or side of the skirt will alleviate some of that restriction. Also the material of the skirt if it contains elastase will allow a bit more movement.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

𝓘 𝓹𝓮𝓻𝓼𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓵𝔂 𝓭𝓸 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓵𝓲𝓴𝓮 𝓹𝓮𝓷𝓬𝓲𝓵 𝓼𝓴𝓲𝓻𝓽𝓼 𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓬𝓮 𝓘 𝓭𝓸 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓵𝓲𝓴𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽. 𝓘 𝓹𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓯𝓾𝓵𝓵 𝓸𝓻 𝓐 𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓮 𝓼𝓴𝓲𝓻𝓽𝓼.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Pencil skirts are fine if you don't need to move. I don't wear them - although I have a few that are borderline pencil. What bugs me about them:

going up steps
going up ramps
getting in/out of cars
sitting in a chair
walking outside

Stretch/slitted varieties exist and overcome some of these problems, but they always feel like a compromise and usually have their own drawbacks. Also, they tend to not have pockets. And while a lot of skirts you can wear with a variety of tops, pencil skirts really demand a well-fitted top, and often need to be paired with a blazer/jacket to look complete (not a hard/fast rule in my book, but it's typically how they are styled).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:53 pm Pencil skirts are fine if you don't need to move. I don't wear them - although I have a few that are borderline pencil. What bugs me about them:

going up steps
going up ramps
getting in/out of cars
sitting in a chair
walking outside

Stretch/slitted varieties exist and overcome some of these problems, but they always feel like a compromise and usually have their own drawbacks. Also, they tend to not have pockets. And while a lot of skirts you can wear with a variety of tops, pencil skirts really demand a well-fitted top, and often need to be paired with a blazer/jacket to look complete (not a hard/fast rule in my book, but it's typically how they are styled).
Good to know. I’m gonna avoid them like the plague. Thanks for the info
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Goodness, I take a week away from the cafe and I end up with 2 screenfulls of posts to go through. How times have changed.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome back, Dennis. I expect you've been doing the pyramids thing again ? You were missed.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nah, Tom, I still work in the store but am thinking that next year will be time to retire and see the world. Pyramids, been there, seen them. Nice to think I was missed, thank you.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dennis,

Getting back to your comment to Moon, Let's all hope that when you do retire next year there'll be plenty left in the World for you to go and see. That gorgeous film with Jack Nickolson and Morgan Freeman comes to mind...Bucket list or similar.

Tom
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

It must be catching! my last working day is 12th December, then use my leave up and retire fully on 6th January.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

B&B, Spring suggestion:
Cap'n Boydseye finds himself aboard a 50 foot narrowboat in Enniskillen, guns the engine and travels at Warp speed South to Killaloe, where just across the river in Ballina the Seafood Chowder to die for awaits.... Oh yes, I left out the best bit....the plethora of waterside hostelries in between!

Just dreaming,

Tom
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:18 pm B&B, Spring suggestion:
Cap'n Boydseye finds himself aboard a 50 foot narrowboat in Enniskillen, guns the engine and travels at Warp speed South to Killaloe, where just across the river in Ballina the Seafood Chowder to die for awaits.... Oh yes, I left out the best bit....the plethora of waterside hostelries in between!

Just dreaming,

Tom
That sounds like a cunning plan! I still haven't set foot in Irelandshire and would love to put that right. I would love to see some of the Irish canal features, the name escapes me but the deepest lock - well double lock in the British Isles is under a power station or something on the South coast, no hire boats allowed I guess. I also would like to see the Cong canal, the one that never filled but last I heard the remains are still there. As for seafood chowder, that doesn't appeal to me, I prefer chicken, steaks, venison or really good burgers. I don't know if I could convince my Sheffield crewmates to make the trip to Ireland so I would be in search of folk to go with, suggestions on a postcard! Oh andduring our Skype session last week they spotted that I was skirted so if they didn't know they do now!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi B&B,
The great thing about Irelandshire is that it's right next door and likely to be around for a while yet. Googling 'Cong Canal, Co. Mayo' led to a very well written and illustrated article about it and its history, about which I knew practically nothing.
The Lough Mask/Lough Corrib Connemara lakes are not connected to the river/canals network, so any boating there has to be just local. The location at Ashford is very scenic, of course and the John Wayne film 'The Quiet Man was for the most part filmed there. It's only a couple of hours' drive from Enniskillen.

There are lots of boat hire companies in the Enniskillen/Belturbet area, catering mostly for the L Erne system and the Shannon-Erne link through to Carrick-on-Shannon, about the most southerly destination recommended in a week's cruise. None of the ones I looked at do narrow boats, but I have seen hire ones on the R. Barrow.....a long way South-East. Talking distances, Killaloe-Ballina are about 120 miles from Carrick-on-Shannon, straight down that wiggly river.

Yet further down, near Limerick is the Ardnacrusha dam and power station. That is where the double lock is, totalling 34 meters drop, or about 112 feet. Two chambers, one about 40+ feet, the other 60+ feet drop. Interesting to say the least. Lock size is about 120 feet by 20, so there was plenty of room for four wandering rowing boats, each with four rowers and a cox. By arrangement we arrived there from Killaloe and once through the lock headed down the tail race into Limerick City/St Michael's Rowing Club to copious pints of ale/Guinness &c.

Lastly, any hostelry capable of producing a delicious chowder will no doubt major on BLTs, Burgers, steaks &c. The odd posh one might offer venison, but that is rarer here.

Food for thought!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.