Riding a Bike with a Utilikilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
kiltsrawesome

Riding a Bike with a Utilikilt

Post by kiltsrawesome »

How do you ride a bike wearing a utilikilt that doesn't have modesty straps without showing anything you don't want to show?

For college I have to bike a lot. I've tried riding my bike around the house wearing it, and if I ride slowly and if there's no wind then it doesn't seem to fly up. Can I wear a utilikilt while riding in windy weather? Or windy and rainy? I'd rather not wear shorts underneath, as I think it takes away the point of wearing the kilt.

What's your opinions? Will I have to settle with changing clothes?
Wearing a skirt makes everything fun!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Riding a Bike with a Utilikilt

Post by Kilted_John »

The only way to find out is to ride with it on a fairly deserted trail. Get up to your normal riding speed, and see if the aprons stay down. If I still had a UK, I probably would use it for riding, but I no longer do. So, I wear an a-line denim knee-length skirt. Hem stays down, even if I'm doing about 20-25 mph downhill. But, since there's more room in it, I still get the cooling effect of the air coming up the skirt, which helps keep the eczema from flaring up.

I've yet to ride with my traditional wool kilts, mainly because I don't want to mess them up, since I can't afford to replace them @ the moment, if something happens.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I've only ridden my road bike in a skort, as I wouldn't in my good kilts, my other bike MTB is a Y framed bike and has no topbar so riding in a skirt should not be a promblem.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

kiltsrawesome wrote:How do you ride a bike wearing a utilikilt that doesn't have modesty straps without showing anything you don't want to show?
I haven't worn my Utilikilt bicycling, but my usual skirt for bicycling is an over-the-knee pleated skirt. When seated, the skirt goes well over my knees, so it doesn't fly up under normal conditions.

The issues that I've found, having tried various skirts are:

1. If the skirt is too full, it gets caught in the back brake caliper, and

2. If the skirt is too short, it's hard to keep the relevant parts covered.

None of my skirts have had problems with the top bar, but I don't wear tight skirts, either.

The reason I haven't worn my Utilikilt is that it's shorter than I like (UK seems to be a bit relaxed about measurements :( -- see my previous whine on the subject) and keeping the pleats tucked between you and the seat is something of a project (unpleated or less pleated skirts are a lot easier.)

As for not "showing anything you don't want to show", keep in mind that if you wear a skirt or kilt regularly, sooner or later it's going to happen. And when it does, you will discover that the world does not end. Take reasonable steps to prevent it, take reasonable steps to keep it from being excessivly embarrassing when it does, and then remind yourself, there's nothing there that anybody on the planet hasn't seen before.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I would never feel comfortable riding a "men's" frame bicycle in a skirt. I'm a klutz and the skirt would be all over the place, ride up the topbar, get tangled in anything "tangle-able" and I'd end up in a ditch.

However, I would feel comfortable riding a bike with a "woman's" frame in a skirt.

Just my preference.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

That's why there were/are bicycles with a lower (top) bar(s) to accomodate the skirt wearer.
Only in a short (mini) skirt would entanglement not be a problem - except maybe in the ease
in getting on and off the bike.
People riding horseback unless the skirt is short or split trouser style would have to ride
Side-Saddle.
Riding a motorcycle is perhaps the worst case for a skirt wearer. Would be better to have a
hidden or visible zipper panel to faciltate getting on the machines. But then I have yet
to see anyone in a full skirt on a motorcycle! Mini skirts - micromini skirts YES but no full skirt.
Certain things in life simply do not go together - but that does not mean it is impossible
just improbable.
Wearing a kilt while cycling is not my forte. I prefer the padded compression shorts for
comfort and not having to worry about what may or may not get tangled in the gearing or brakes.
If you do like to wear something unbifurcated while cycling and are an avid supporter of kilts/skirts
there are short skirts with and without the padding. Link to one such source:
http://www.skirtsports.com/
One could wear a short abbreviated kilt while cycling with padded compression shorts (very
highly recommended) and not fear any derailment of machine or modesty.
Things are definitely different on cross country trails as opposed to city park riding in this
respect.
One thing for sure "Wear a Helmet" so you can think again what you are going to wear on your
next fall and exposure!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

A good friend of mine got married in the full kilt regalia, his best man was also kilted. This was memorable because my mate had been banned for drink driving (he must have spilt some or something). Not only that but he was determined to arrive at the wedding on his Harley, He did. Best man in kilt piloting the bike. My mate riding pillion in kilt. The rest of us kilted and in a transit following while cursing the flat battery in the camcorder.
Must admit the funniest moment was watching two kilted idiots trying to bump start the bike.

What a day!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful -- how nice to read you again!
Big and Bashful wrote:Best man in kilt piloting the bike. My mate riding pillion in kilt. The rest of us kilted and in a transit following while cursing the flat battery in the camcorder.

Must admit the funniest moment was watching two kilted idiots trying to bump start the bike.
Thank you so much for that wonderful account! The imagery shall persist for a while, and I'll be laughing alongside the lot of you for quite a bit. Well done on all counts save the flat battery.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Sapphire mentioned: "men's" frame bicycle and "woman's" frame bicycle
About 4 years ago I searched the bicycle shops in the Keys and found 1 (I like to call it) "Skirts frame" bicycle. A Schwinn probably over 30 years old, light blue and chrome colored. I use it to pedal up to the Elks Lodge at the end of my street where I used to play a lot of Bingo, but now am part of the Saturday night members poker game. ( I joined 3 months ago )

I'd be willing to bet I'm the only dues paying, skirt wearing, male member in the entire United States. None of the male members have any problem with me and my skirts as long as I wear dark colored mid calf A-line style skirts or regular Scot kilt style skirts. They just don't want any problem with the National Elks. ONE wife tho has harrassed me for 3 years to wear pants there. Everyone ignores her, as she ALWAYS wears trousers herself with no feelings of "Duh, what am I doing?" :alien: :hide: :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
derail3

Post by derail3 »

Here is a photo of a man riding a bike in a Utilikilt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

WoW is that cool or what
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

RichardA wrote:WoW is that cool or what
Cool? A draught like that in our climate could result in frozen assets :D

Have fun,

Ian (who has occasionally ridden in a kilt but only slowly (think of the hem lift) and in permanent fear of getting it tangled in the back wheel).
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Methinks RichardA meant cool like in "Jim Morrison was wayyyy cool" or The Rolling Stones are really a cool band that are STILL playing gigs 49 years later. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Since1982 wrote:Methinks RichardA meant cool like in "Jim Morrison was wayyyy cool" or The Rolling Stones are really a cool band that are STILL playing gigs 49 years later. 8)
And you are undoubtedly right! I must remember that ironic word play does not always work in written form...

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce