Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Knickson

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Knickson »

Derek Plattis wrote:
Knickson wrote:In England a kilt on a man is nothing , it got to be the thing for all the men and boys at weddings to wear them if the groom had any Scottish heritage ,and that`s without kilted Scottish football fans getting drunk falling over and showing they forgot to put any knickers on !
I am sure very few Scotsmen would refer to their kilts as "skirts". Wearing a kilt in the U.K. is definitely no big deal. It is usually a formal choice of clothing for a Scotsman and is, of course, generally accompanied by the rest of the "get up" i.e. sporran, long socks, jacket etc.. I'm sure less formal tartan kilts for every day wear can be found in the more remote parts of Scotland so, lets not make a fuss about wearing kilts. They are recognised as typically male items of clothing and wearing them should not be problematic at all. A skirt, however is quite a different kettle of fish!

Derek
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS POST AT ALL ,HAVE YOU EVEN READ MINE ? who said Scots call kilts skirts please ? could you read my post and ask me what you do not understand , who on earth is making a fuss ?.
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

I was replying to the chap that was confusing kilts with skirts . not that it matters .
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

No problem at all. I thought I was agreeing with you and simply emphasising the thrust of your post. Any offence caused is purely accidental and carries my apologies.

Derek
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

No problem , by the way often I heard Scots call skirts `kilts` and I do think a kilt is a skirt near enough .
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Knickson wrote:No problem , by the way often I heard Scots call skirts `kilts` and I do think a kilt is a skirt near enough .
I would say a kilt is one fairly specific type of skirt, among many. All kilts are skirts, but not all skirts are kilts.
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

Its Just using the one name for Kilts and the similar skirts , like the name Knickers for all types of bottom only undies .
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Knickson wrote:Its Just using the one name for Kilts and the similar skirts ,

Please explain how you can use ...." one name for Kilts and the similar skirts, " ....?
As far as I am aware The Kilt and the skirt are normally worn by different genders.
In my experience in a Scottish Kilt wearing community , the male wears the Traditional Scottish Kilt
and the female wears a female skirt.....

I would strongly advise you not to try to discuss this matter if you are unaware of the difference between
The Traditional Scottish Kilt and a skirt.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

weeladdie18 wrote:I would strongly advise you not to try to discuss this matter if you are unaware of the difference between The Traditional Scottish Kilt and a skirt.
It is this sort of attitude that keeps many guys from wearing a kilt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:I would strongly advise you not to try to discuss this matter if you are unaware of the difference between The Traditional Scottish Kilt and a skirt.
It is this sort of attitude that keeps many guys from wearing a kilt.
Indeed, and is the primary reason why I eschew The Kilt. There's simply too much baggage attached. I've got enough problems already, I don't need to knowingly add more to the pile.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

weeladdie18 wrote:I would strongly advise you not to try to discuss this
matter if you are unaware of the difference between
1st of all, a Kilt IS A SKIRTED TYPE OF GARMENT.

Quote from Merriam-Webster Dictionary;
kilt noun

Definition of kilt

1 : a knee-length pleated skirt usually of tartan worn by men in Scotland and by Scottish
regiments in the British armies
2 : a garment that resembles a Scottish kilt

A kilt is still a skirt - PERIOD. Just a different TYPE of skirt.

You have no need to belittle another Cafe' member in any manner.
Just because they may use a different word to describe an object, doesn't
mean they are wrong. There description is just different from yours. You're both
right, or wrong, depending on the 'context' for the given statement.

Weeladdie18, many of us do not want the hassle of the 'extra gear' associated with
wearing a Full Kilt Outfit. I wear casual kilts and like them just fine. They fill the need
for comfort and individuality. IF I have a formal event, I've the 'kit' to go with a kilt.
It doesn't get worn that often as it is quite a hassle to 'get it right'.
(Especially in 95-105*F temperatures).

Also I wear skirts. It all depends on the "events" of the day as to which I will wear.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

I was at the Newport jazz festival Friday with two friends. They say that they saw two men wearing skirts (other than me). I did not see them but I have no reason to doubt my friends.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

crfriend wrote: Indeed, and is the primary reason why I eschew The Kilt. There's simply too much baggage attached. I've got enough problems already, I don't need to knowingly add more to the pile.
It's also one of the reasons why I've stopped wearing the ones I have (and sold one of them off already) and stopped visiting X Marks The Scot. The other two reasons for not wearing them:

1) They're too d@mn hot when the temperature gets above 50 deg F - even a Utilikilt can be borderline too warm when temperatures get above 75 deg F.
2) I became tired of being the Xmas or Thanksgiving dinner table centerpiece every place I'd go. No, I don't want to discuss my heritage when I'm trying to run as many errands as I need to in a day. Nor do I want to have to fire up google to find out when and where the next celtic festival is for someone who stopped me in a store.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Knickson wrote:Its Just using the one name for Kilts and the similar skirts ,

As far as I am aware The Kilt and the skirt are normally worn by different genders.
In my experience in a Scottish Kilt wearing community , the male wears the Traditional Scottish Kilt
and the female wears a female skirt.....

I would strongly advise you not to try to discuss this matter if you are unaware of the difference between
WeeLaddie,

I just don’t understand why calling a kilt a skirt can make you upset, at all. This is a forum for skirt wearers, named Skirt Café. Members here are wearing skirts, some of them being also kilts. You yourself are wearing regular skirts, I can tell from several contributions, not kilts only, or The Kilt, as you like to describe it. And I suppose, you are not changing your gender when wearing one?

I’m wearing traditional kilts the most, but also man skirts like utility kilts and skirts found in women’s departments. Having no Scottish roots I’m not wearing the kilt (not The Kilt to me) as a national symbol or statement, but as a skirt, suitable for a man to wear. And I can and will wear it without playing too much attention to rules. But I agree, knowing them has the advantage that I know when I’m breaking them. That is, in fact, the best I can say about rules.

I consider the discussion whether kilt or skirt to be absolutely fruitless. I think it is a little bit like Nikon versus Canon fans. They seem to find pleasure in defeating each other claiming the other brand is close to crap. And they don’t realize that in the meantime Sony has stolen the cake.

Let’s be MEN enough to wear the skirt or skirts WE like, whatever kind they are, when and where ever WE feel like it.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

At Sidmouth Folk Festival this year there were loads of men in skirts and kilts; some were part of a costume, but the majority appeared to be just everyday wear.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

At the Stop and Shop in Vineyard Haven on Martha's Vineyard, I saw a man wearing a leopard skin dress. He may have been trans; I don't know, but he was obviously a man. I was wearing a skirt. We looked at each other but didn't speak. Later that day I was at an outdoor Shakespeare performance in a natural amphitheatre. At intermission they were selling cookies to the audience. I had to stand up to buy one. The woman taking my money said to me, " I like your skirt." I thanked her.