Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
stephanie53

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by stephanie53 »

Dust wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:55 pm So I got talked into doing a "mud run" recently. Basically an adult obstacle course where some of the obstacles involve a lot of dirt, mud, or muddy water. This one was only a 5km (3.1 miles) run with a claim of some large number of obstacles, but I think they counted the dirt piles they made you run over that were basically the dirt they moved to dig the pits of water and whatnot... I'm in decent shape, do some running anyway, and it was short a weekend trip with friends, so I agreed to go and run.

I ran in shorts, since there were a number of obstacles involving cargo nets, climbing over walls, and similar. But once I finished, I shed the muddy clothes (I literally threw away my socks) and put on a Utilikilt, sandals, and clean T-shirt.

I saw a few other dudes in kilts there (counted at least three, maybe four) and talked to one of them. He ran in a 5.11 Tactical kilt. At least one other guy looked like he ran in a tartan kilt of some sort, I'm assuming it was a modern washable variant.

The guy I spoke with said he'd done quite a few of these races before, and they usually had more guys in kilts! He was actually disappointed in the kilted turnout. He also said overall turnout was down, so that was likely part of it. He said he ran one of the later start times (they stagger the starts, with a group every 15 minutes to keep congestion down at the obstacles) and one of the volunteers at the obstacles said he was the first guy running in a kilt he saw that day.
was the guy you talked to bare leg or wearing leggings?
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

When I have asked women why they are wearing trousers rather than skirts or a dress on hot muggy days I have been told it is because of 'chub rub' of the thighs. On such days when I have spent the morning in trousers and then changed into a skirt the improvement in comfort was unbelievable. I don't get chub rub.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

chub rub or "thunder thighs" has to do with thighs constantly rubbing together. Has nothing to do with wearing a skirt or dress. Guys thighs are separated a little, woman's are not, thus any movement causes friction between then. Best corrected by wearing shorts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

If you get chub rub as many women do, it is more comfortable to wear trousers so of course it is related to wearing a skirt or a dress. People of any gender who get chub rub would often be more comfortable in warm weather in light trousers or would have to wear some sort of underwear covering the area affected if choosing skirts or dresses.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

stephanie53 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:24 pm Guys thighs are separated a little, woman's are not.....
They shouldn't be touching much as a skeletal rule. Women have a wider pelvis and a more angular leg angle, but touching thighs is either individual growth or being overweight for both men and women.

If you have "bad" genetics and are overweight, you have the worst of both worlds; especially as women tend to hold their extra fat around the thigh area.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Not sure if this post belongs here on on the funnies thread.

I was sitting outside a Bistro in Paris (France) at the weekend; back earlier today.

I guy on a bicycle accompanies by a couple of dogs on leads stopped outside the bakers opposite. He was all in black with a utility kilt, dreadlocks etc. the Swampy* look.

He and the dogs headed in, seconds later there was much barking and they all appeared out backwards as he pulled on the leads to retrieve the hounds. It was a bit like a cartoon as he pulled, and then they pulled. Eventually he got them under control and cycled away without his bread.

He was the only other guy I saw in a skirted item (apart from Glasgow Airport), though with the temperatures in the high 20's C the women were mainly either skirted on in a dress.

* Swampy is a famous (or infamous) Eco protester in the UK.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

stephanie53 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:28 pm was the guy you talked to bare leg or wearing leggings?
He said he had shorts underneath (maybe only for the run?), but I don't remember anything visible sticking out when I spoke to him (it's been a while at this point). The 511 kilts are long enough to be just past knee length on most guys...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Night out in London

Post by Barleymower »

My wife and I sent our three children to cub camp yesterday and followed up with a night out in London, both of us in skirts. My wife in a long black skirts and me in a silk, knee length, pleated, grey skirt.
We walked all around the West End between Oxford Circus and Piccadilly followed by cocktails (100£ ouch). Noone batted an eye. Standing in the taxi queue at the station there was a punch up, we didn't get involved and didn't run off either. After the idiots got in a taxi I was asked how it started. I felt completely at ease as if I was wearing trousers, the way it should be. Brilliant night out and can't wait for the next trip.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

This morning, in Hexham, Northumberland, I saw an elderly gentleman - late 60s - walking up a hill in the opposite direction to me. White floral skirt, just above knee length, black opaque tights, sensible shoes, mens top and jacket. It was so normal that I couldn’t react. Stopping him to say “well done/you look great” just seemed…wrong. It was such a normal look and he wore it with no trace of self-consciousness.

My wife didn’t even spot him, and on describing the gentleman, said “nobody cares about what you wear now”. There’s more than a kernel of truth there.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Saw a guy wearing a plaid pleated skirt in Leeds Bus Station today, no one else noticed or cared at all. I need to start wearing my skirts out and about more!!
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

I do not know if it can be called "in the wild", but at this year's Linzpride (Linz, Upper Austria, 2022-06-25, linzpride.at) I saw several gentlemen wearing skirts - at least one in a kilt, one in another skirt - see the first photo. (And one or two drag queens - but isn't the main theme of skirtcafe.org.) The total attendance, according to the media, was about 8000 people.
...and I'm adding a photo of one draq queen:
...and, of course, I was there in a skirt, too. And then also during all the three-day walking from Linz via Schweinbach, Wartberg on der Aist, Pregarten, Gutau, Elz, Lasberg, Freistadt and Rainbach im Mühlkreis to Horní Dvořiště (the first municipality on the Czech territory), cca 70 km - about 44 miles.
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Like Milo's 'sighting' the Oregon Country Fair returned after a two year covid hiatus, and as usual featured all kinds of fun and dress. The link here is just an article on its conclusion and the first pic shows one guy in a skirt; but undoubtedly there were dozens if not more. A genuinely grand affair if you are ever in OR in July. You can do a search on the OCF and find lots fun attire, or lack thereof, for the past couple of decades.

https://kval.com/news/local/oregon-coun ... end-events
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

In my area i have seen others in kilts,
As far as skirts maybe 1 or 2 people a year.

That don't mean that no one wearing them,
Just have not crossed paths.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

403 Forbidden on the link.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hey Dennis,

Try it this way: https://kval.com/news/local/oregon-coun ... end-events

Seems to work here, not sure if it may be location; or try a VPN...or just google for the Oregon Country Fair, you will get a bunch of listing, pick a couple of the current ones unless you want to check out the even more 'hippy' like days 20 years ago!