Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by FranTastic444 »

Caultron wrote:
FranTastic444 wrote:Few weeks back I saw a guy on a bicycle on the Minuteman bike trail in Boston wearing a red skater skirt with white polka dot over cycling leggings. I've also seen numerous cyclists in and around Downtown Boston wearing tights under shorts.
So anything goes, eh?

Do preserve some decorum and sense of style, though, huh?
I feel that both styles look great. My wife doesn't like my lycra cycling shorts - "leaves too little to the imagination" so she says :-) I'd happily go for either of these looks or maybe just a black skater skirt?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EQV2sbbuq1Fq1Tgv5
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Spotted during the week - fleeting glimpse of a guy wearing a black knee-length skirt in the Elephant & Castle pub in Boston. Not sure if he worked there or if he was a delegate at the function that was being run out of the conference room in the basement.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

FranTastic444 wrote:I feel that both styles look great. My wife doesn't like my lycra cycling shorts - "leaves too little to the imagination" so she says :-) I'd happily go for either of these looks or maybe just a black skater skirt?
Both of those look fine to me!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I was in South Korea for a 2 week holiday (and seeing our son who works there) and was visiting a Korean palace. I saw about 20m in front of me a guy with his back to me in a full length sarong type skirt.
I turned to the wife to point him out but she was taking other pics and by the time she had finished and I looked again for him, he had vanished.
Chance missed methinks to show a skirted fellow in public. Nobody bothered or noticed (surprise surprise)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's amazing how OOH's seem to be occupied with something else which seems to take aaaaggggeeeessss when such opportunities arise and the opportunity vanishes by the time OOH has finished! That has happened to me too. Even when I have managed to make the most of the opportunity and showed her the man in a skirt MOH seemed less than impressed! I think that it would take a neighbourhood-wide adoption of the skirt by men around here to change her mind. When she could see hundreds of men wearing skirts then she MAY be convinced otherwise she thinks that the other solitary man in skirt is weird, like me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I feel sinned is definitely correct in his observation and remark....If " a man in a skirt " is not normally see as par for the course in ones locality ,
then the sighting in the wild might be perceived as a little weird.

However Moon' s photos of the Pilgrimage do not show that a group of sightings in the wild show the skirts being worn by the man in the street
to be normal or practical.

Perhaps this is where the whole concept is floored. ......as one male who is interested in skirt fashions ....some may disagree that my style of
skirts are practical for the male to wear.

I would agree that the Traditional Scottish Kilt which has been worn and developed over many generations ; is not entirely practical or is
a cost effective garment to wear.

There are male garments in other countries which might be considered more practical.....however these have not become
mainstream male fashions. ......perhaps the man in the street does not respond to the new or different sightings seen in the wild....weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:There are male garments in other countries which might be considered more practical.....however these have not become mainstream male fashions. ......perhaps the man in the street does not respond to the new or different sightings seen in the wild....weeladdie
Part of the problem is the inordinate leverage that the USA has culturally in the world -- and that's definitely cheapened and marginalised quite a few other cultures that are, perhaps, more worthy than the USA. Witness the universal dominance of denim in very many parts of the world; if it's not everywhere, most folks seem to want it for some unknown reason. Also is the problem that the USA is a very macho culture, perhaps only second to Latin America, and the cult of machismo decidedly frowns on anything other than a parody-level of hyper-masculinity, so skirted garments are pretty much automatically ruled out.

So, it's not surprising to me that there's a certain amount of resistance to the notion of getting skirted garments accepted on men. This is a big hill to take, and it may not be possible to take it. But, damn all, I'm going to try to make a dent in the impressions -- at least locally -- of those around me. Worst of all are those closest to us -- our significant others. They should know better.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

"So, it's not surprising to me that there's a certain amount of resistance to the notion of getting skirted garments accepted on men. This is a big hill to take, and it may not be possible to take it. But, damn all, I'm going to try to make a dent in the impressions -- at least locally -- of those around me. Worst of all are those closest to us -- our significant others. They should know better."

Your statements have struck a chord with me and you're right. Putting on a skirt and walking out the door IS a big step to take, a big hill, even a mountain, even for those of us that are used to the idea. Every time I walk out the door I have that niggling doubt about what I am going to do. Often it takes the form of doubts about whether the particular skirt I am wearing is ok and goes with the rest of the gear. This can cause me to go back, retry some skirts before finally making a selection and continuing out. It doesn't stop me but sixty years of indoctrination, and having it beaten into me that skirts are only for women, still takes some getting over. MOH doesn't realise this and take into account that I do this in spite of her opposition when she should be a loving partner an SUPPORT me. What is hard to take, and is for others too, is that their opposition really and truly hurts and lessens the total, encompassing love and trust within the relationship. MOH and I are not as close as we were and I am saddened at that. :cry:

Tonight it is so hot in the bedroom [0] and I woke suddenly at 02:00 my time, gently got up and went for a nice cool, refreshing bike ride, skirted. The cold air around me really made me feel alive. Never saw anybody out and about.

[0] temperature, guys!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Does Anyone have any reference to the Historical Abbasinian Male in his long white Skirt.....I have only ever seen one reference to this garment.
Perhaps this is related to another male garment worn in another neighbouring country.....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

With regard to the Post from Sinned , I would agree that I sometimes have my doubts regarding the suitability of certain skirts in my collection.
Perhaps this is because I have not regularly worn this garment and have no recollection of its suitability.........I am trying to catagorise my
collection into styles of skirt to establish what other garments they they should be worn with......I am trying to store similar design on the same
storage rail...my eventual aim is to redisorganise my storage so that I can dispose of redundant items in my collection.

I am now probably regularly wearing fifteen or twenty of my collection alternately.

It has been claimed that redisorganisation was invented by the Roman Army .......The modern equivalent is to clear an industrial or storage area,
paint the floor and store a different item in the newly prepared area .....The impression is given that goods are constantly on the move.

We became professionally involved in this procedure with an open plan building with a 4 acre roof span.....very impressive... ..........weeladdie
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I have a simple way of storing my skirts. I store them by length. I hang a paper laber on each coathanger stating the length in centimeters. According to my destination or activity, I take out the right, fabric and color.
In the 5 years of being skirted, I have seen only one guy in a Utilkilt at BestBuy. Maybe I should pay more attention to my fellow humans. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

My "sightings in the wild " regarding utilikilts agree with yours Beachlion.
I have only ever seen one of these garments being worn. I understand this garment is popular in the region of Seattle where it is marketed.

I have had two reports that purchasers have not found the garment comfortable to wear.
I personally find pleated garments take time to keep the pleats in order and it is not entirely comfortable sitting on pleats. weeladdie.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Celtic festivals excluded, I tend to see two or three other men a year wearing utility kilts.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

At Priddy Folk Festival this year there was one man (probably in his 60s) wearing a black kilt that he told me he had bought from one of the clothing stalls a couple of years back.  One of the stallholders was wearing a sarong and a little boy wearing brightly-patterned 'Harem' trousers told me that he had designed a dress at school.  I wore a denim skirt and steel-toe-capped boots when I was working and a long floaty Summer skirt with sandals the rest of the time.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

pelmut wrote:At Priddy Folk Festival this year there was one man (probably in his 60s) wearing a black kilt that he told me he had bought from one of the clothing stalls a couple of years back.  One of the stallholders was wearing a sarong and a little boy wearing brightly-patterned 'Harem' trousers told me that he had designed a dress at school.  I wore a denim skirt and steel-toe-capped boots when I was working and a long floaty Summer skirt with sandals the rest of the time.
I looked out for you yesterday (Sunday afternoon) but didn't see you. I wore a long purple gypsy skirt, so another skirted man at the festival.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.