Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
flamencofreak

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by flamencofreak »

rick401r wrote:I attended a Celtic fest in Dayton, Ohio last weekend. Now, I've been going to this fest for the past 4 years. (I bought my first kilt there) The first couple years there were only a handful of kilts, not counting venders and performers. Last weekend, however, there must have been at least 50 guys in kilts of all kinds. I felt right at home.
Really? Dayton Ohio? There may be hope for us back here after all. I live in NE Ohio. Haven't seen any men in skirts here, but I sure hope the trend comes to our area.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Flamenco Freak said: I live in NE Ohio. Haven't seen any men in skirts here, but I sure hope the trend comes to our area.
Umm...You're there, that's ONE man in skirts, keep looking for # 2, he's there somewhere, probably not outside yet. He'll try it one day and find out how much of a non-event it is. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

flamencofreak wrote: Really? Dayton Ohio? There may be hope for us back here after all. I live in NE Ohio. Haven't seen any men in skirts here, but I sure hope the trend comes to our area.
I attended th X Fest concert in Dayton a couple of weeks ago. i wore my black utilikilt. I counted 5 others all in black kilts as well. There was 20,000 people there so I might have missed a few others. Yes, we're letting our kilt flags fly in Ohio.
BTW, Oct. 10,11th is highlander weekend at the Ohio Renaissance Festival. Should be many kilts worn then.
nicothoe
Distinguished Member

Post by nicothoe »

My girlfriend's new housemate has just ordered a Utilikilt, and was telling me about a how he plans to be skirted for a year. Something about an experiment questioning gender-roles/identity. Naturally, I gave him the link to this site.

But still...two independently skirted guys in the same house?
Be Bold. Be Skirted.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Hey, that's pretty cool. I'd just tell the guy that he'll have to do something a lot more extreme than wearing a Utilikilt if he actually wishes to question gender roles / identity.
tooslowprius
Distinguished Member

Post by tooslowprius »

Just for some of your info. I live in north central Ohio, and I am down in the dayton area once a month. I am sure it wasn't me you seen thought! :(
tooslowprius
Distinguished Member

Post by tooslowprius »

flamencofreak wrote:
rick401r wrote:I attended a Celtic fest in Dayton, Ohio last weekend. Now, I've been going to this fest for the past 4 years. (I bought my first kilt there) The first couple years there were only a handful of kilts, not counting venders and performers. Last weekend, however, there must have been at least 50 guys in kilts of all kinds. I felt right at home.
Really? Dayton Ohio? There may be hope for us back here after all. I live in NE Ohio. Haven't seen any men in skirts here, but I sure hope the trend comes to our area.
Well, it's nice to see more men in skirt's showing up in ohio!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

FF said: Haven't seen any men in skirts here, but I sure hope the trend comes to our area.
Well, the "trend" could come to your area by....you going outside in one!! Nothing that doesn't stop another trendsetter should stop YOU. I started it in my area, now there are 3 here. All it takes for a trend to "get off the ground" is other men seeing it and thinking, "What a good idea, maybe I'll try that. At least I wouldn't be the first one, I'd just be part of the pioneers." Just ONE man has to go outside onto the street and (by his actions) show the world that skirts for men is HERE. :D :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I've been in Malta on business for the past few days. Since I've been with colleagues throughout and am only on a temporary contract at present I have avoided raising my profile too far in unconventional ways and restricted myself to the dreaded double pipes.

I have mentioned a kilt a few times over the last month or two and am threatening to wear one for the evening meal of a two day conference next week. The suggestion met with the usual range of reactions from "Go for it" to "You what????" and I have not raised the subject again, however last night as a colleague and I were walking through one of the livelier parts of Valetta we met a chap in a modern kilt with cargo pockets coming the other way. In the relatively poor light I could not see the kilt well enough to establish the brand and my colleague did not even notice until I pointed it out to him just after we'd passed.

The reaction was "Wow. You really are ahead of the trend. Amazing." I feel a kilt coming on for the flight home.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
wichor

Post by wichor »

the other night when me an my wife were walking towards the railway station, she pointed me to a bloke riding a bike with a skirt. I hadn't noticed him.

When we arrived at the station we could get a clearer glimpse of him. He was wearing a kilt, with bear legs and socks. He got on another train then we did, sos din't have the time to speak to him,
XP64

Post by XP64 »

While going for a train at Poitiers, France I spotted a 20 something wearing a black box pleat skirt with calf length boots. Nobody seemed to notice, stare or make negative comment, including a group of teenage girls waiting for a train, which should give confidence to anybody thinking of taking that first step into the wild blue yonder. I assume he was going for a local train as he was pushing a bike (no bikes allowed on TGVs), so it may be a regular event. I was going for a train so didn't have a chance to speak to him.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Spotted in Maidenhead last Saturday: Middle aged gent in green tartan kilt with kilt hose and a warm sweater and jacket.

I was just driving out of the car park at the time and so did not have a chance to say "Hi" but it's good to know there was another kilted man around the town.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

Seen at Swanage UK in September : a guy at a folk festival wearing a black kilt and later on in a pub a chap in very nice red tartan with white shirt and kilt hose. As I was on holiday with the family I didnae have chance to stop and chat.

Seen at Berlin zoo - an animal with bear legs ( and bear body). I barely had time tae look.

BTW a 16oz kilt is great for this wee bit o snow at present
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Different_Trains
Distinguished Member

Post by Different_Trains »

I saw a man wearing a plain black skirt walking down Harrow high street today! I wish I'd stopped him to ask where he got it from, as it looked great, but I was so taken aback I didn't!
salero

Post by salero »

I don't really know if this counts, but Johnny Depp wears a kilt in the new movie Alice in Wonderland. To my surprise and happiness, it is never even mentioned, he just wears it and everyone assumes it is alright. Granted, that could be because he is mad, but nevertheless.