Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Ray »

Ah, Dennis. Despite our Brexit differences, I like you more and more!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Is it strange that I have loved the humour of Roy 'Chubby' Brown an Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson, yet Mrs Brown's Boys leaves me cold? I can take earthy humour, even dirty humour but ....

Maybe I can blame my parents as they did take me to see Arthur Askey, Jimmy Clitheroe and Ted Ray on stage ( separate performances ) when I was very little ( maybe 5, 6 or 7 years old ). I don't remember the performances, maybe just a gossamers, and I doubt that I understood much of the acts but my mother said that I laughed a lot. So, who knows?

For those not of this island, they were comedians from the thirties, forties onwards, renowned for their very earthy humour. And yes, I knew the theory ( but not the mechanics of sex, self-discovery through interest ) from about 7 years old.

BTW Tom, I love your sense of humour too. Some of your contributions definitely come from an unexpected direction?

As for Brexit well, my feelings perhaps aren't as strong about it as sometimes I make out. If we'd voted to stay in then I would have moaned a bit but would have settled. After all, it's all at a level far above my plane of existence and not something I have any real influence over. I voted for what I thought was right at the time. I may have made a mistake, who knows, time will unfold as it will. I have a roof over us, so do my offspring, I am in employment, have sufficient resources behind me to more than last me, my marriage is strong and stable and I have a lot to be thankful for. So life is good. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I admit to getting a few chuckles out of the act... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

The more I see of Michael McIntyre, the more I dislike him, just not funny. I must admit I never took to Chubby, although I haven't really tried. I have seen Kevin Bloody Wilson once or twice, songs ok, banter between songs excellent, great evening or evenings! Billy Connolly I have loved ever since I first heard him.
Back more on topic, kilts, hmmm. my good kilt is made from a heavier wool, it is also a 12 yard kilt. Swings nicely apparently but boy is it warm! and heavy! I don't often wear it, it tends to come out for the occasional party or pub-crawl and things like weddings. The rest of time it spends inside a kilt carrier breaking most things I try and hang it on! Wow the complete outfit is heavy!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

A question for someone who is "down with the kids"?
In town today, I saw a boy around 12 years old wearing an asymmetric style skirt which was plain black. His top was cammo of some description and he also had on leggings or jeans too.
Gender expression. I doubt but wondered about a cos-play character.
Any ideas, anyone as I am rather intrigued? Do we have male comic book heroes who also wear skirts?
The most I remember is that some wore their underwear on the outside.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Stevie, why not just a guy like most of us here who just likes a different look or feel than most?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Jim wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:43 pm Stevie, why not just a guy like most of us here who just likes a different look or feel than most?
Sure Jim, you could be right but this was just a kid and I just wondered?
My own thought was "Asassin's Creed", but that was only because my own son played the game in his young days.
The idea that there had never been a skirted male "superhero" had already been in my thoughts.
The whole cos-play scene is so vast that it is actually possible if not very likely.
The thought was actually inspired by Moon's experience with "The Lady Delores."
It would be better if you were right actually, but we may never know.
Steve
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:55 pm The idea that there had never been a skirted male "superhero" had already been in my thoughts.
Well, if you do an image search for "Marvel Hercules" you get picture of a superhero wearing something you might call a skirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

View this LINK:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Marvel+He ... cbfe90c383

In more than half of the images Hercules is wearing something akin to a mini-skirt - wrap skirt - frontal apron skirt - - -

The hem length is ideal in critical coverage features - censorship would be futile - but then it is just a comic !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I saw a man in a denim kilt in my local supermarket last week.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Eborian, was that a kilt "kilt" or a skirt "kilt"?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

There has actually been a skirted superhero though I think he always wore a dress. Not a costume that looked like a dress, but a DRESS dress. Dragman was a comic strip that appeared in The Guardian and then as a book - reviewed here
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... vel-review
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

It looked like a kilt to me and not a skirt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I saw a teenaged boy in Aberdeen city centre yesterday afternoon and he was definitely skirted.
It was a tennis style which is certainly highly high fashion at the moment. He teamed it with a hooded top and looked perfectly confident in himself.
I was on a bus so there was no way to communicate unfortunately.
Restored my faith, the kids will lead the way.
Steve.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The younger generations, at least of the better educated and middle classes, DEFINITELY see gender along a continuum and don't necessarily see clothes as gendered at all. So those sightings could very definitely be cases of young people either expressing their nonbinary genders or simply practicing fashion freedom.

Give all this another 10-20 years and we folks in the developed world will finally have caught up with the "primitive" cultures of the world and see gender diversity and men wearing skirts and dresses as non-issues.

So boldly go where few men have preceded you!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.