Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Kirbstone »

I call 'em Vampires. Cordiality is just a front. They'll suck blood out of you anyway, skirt or no. :blue: I'm of an age where here I have to have a med. cert. to renew my driver's licence every three years. Otherwise they'd never see me.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:41 pm I call 'em Vampires. Cordiality is just a front. They'll suck blood out of you anyway, skirt or no. :blue: I'm of an age where here I have to have a med. cert. to renew my driver's licence every three years. Otherwise they'd never see me. Tom
Tom, You are a lot younger than I and have to have a Medical Certificate to drive?? I renewed my Drivers License for 7 years with just a coursery eye exam. You know the kind "Read line 6 on the chart" and if you can, you get your license. Just what all do they check in this exam??
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Fred,

My Dad was a medic too and he launched me on June 21st 1942, which makes me 78 and counting. In Ireland at age 70 they require you to have had a med. check-up and cert which includes an eye test, but demand another after just three years, so I've had one at age 70, 73 and 76. I am due another next year at age 79 which will be valid for only one year, as they require another at age 80, would you believe.

the med exam is just looking for blood pressure and diabetes and the other obvious ones like Parkinsons &c. The vampire comes in when they test for other hidden ones like tumour numbers, kidney disease, blood cell count, spleen & liver &c. Bloods do tell a lot.

Today I got delivery of a gorgeous bespoke grey plaid kilt which will be 'seen in the wild' ere long...

Tom
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Continuing a bit of thread drift but a very fine thread to the word sightings.
In Australia, if/when one gets to their mid 70's a medical is required but from a friends experience, it is mainly about eyesight.

Otherwise wait until the completely driverless vehicles come on to the market. :roll:
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:29 amIn Australia, if/when one gets to their mid 70's a medical is required but from a friends experience, it is mainly about eyesight.
One of the things that perplexes me here where I call home is how focused the RMV is on eyesight. I have no idea why this is the case as the farthest anyone ever sees is the arse end of the Stupid Urban Vehicle or monster-truck in front of one.
Otherwise wait until the completely driverless vehicles come on to the market. :roll:
They're here now. Take a look at how many crash-test dummies there are on the roads using cell' 'phones, txting, or fiddling with the sat-nav whilst attempting to "drive". If those don't count as "driverless cars" what would?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

geron, the blood is taken form the vein on the inside of the elbow. Where did you think it was taken from?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Funny,

I thought it was taken from the exposed naked shoulder after dark :twisted:

Tom
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Chirp wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:53 am Kilts are nice and i wear my utility kilt alot, But light weight skirt is way more comfortable.
Just so. Original kilts from the late 18th century used a lot less material than is used now. Six, seven, eight, even nine yards of wool is a guarantee of discomfort especially while driving. They may swing nicely, but they weigh a ton and are like sitting on a pile of gunny sacks.

I have a bunch of utility kilts and most are made of heavy to very heavy material. Why? Is it somehow more manly to be encased in something that could be used as a concrete form?

As far as comfort is concerned there really isn't any doubt that a light weight skirt beats a heavy kilt hands down.

The only kilts I'll wear in the car are both old Utilikilts: an original "Original" with the zipper closure, and an original "Spartan" nylon kilt with the kangaroo pocket. If it isn't one of them it's a light denim skirt.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Sinned wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:02 pm geron, the blood is taken from the vein on the inside of the elbow. Where did you think it was taken from?
I went to my doctor's (GP) surgery to have a blood sample taken this week. I can confirm that the nurse took the blood from the vein on the inside of my elbow. She raised the vein with a rubber tourniquet on my upper arm.
For the record, I was wearing a skirt, tights and heels with a T-shirt and a fleece jacket. I took off the jacket to give the lady easy access to my arm.
There was no reaction to my skirted attire by the nurse or the staff at reception. All of the folk were pleasant and professional. :)
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

BobM wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:15 pm
Chirp wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:53 am Kilts are nice and i wear my utility kilt alot, But light weight skirt is way more comfortable.
Just so. Original kilts from the late 18th century used a lot less material than is used now. Six, seven, eight, even nine yards of wool is a guarantee of discomfort especially while driving. They may swing nicely, but they weigh a ton and are like sitting on a pile of gunny sacks.

I have a bunch of utility kilts and most are made of heavy to very heavy material. Why? Is it somehow more manly to be encased in something that could be used as a concrete form?

As far as comfort is concerned there really isn't any doubt that a light weight skirt beats a heavy kilt hands down.

The only kilts I'll wear in the car are both old Utilikilts: an original "Original" with the zipper closure, and an original "Spartan" nylon kilt with the kangaroo pocket. If it isn't one of them it's a light denim skirt.
I have kilts and skirts. The skirts do seem more practical.
Kilts are so heavy, and the pleats are a mess to deal with. My One PV kilt has not been ironed, so the pleats are almost non existent, so I sure Its quite a poor look from the back side.
The " concrete form" does seem to help hide a spongy mid section, if you have one of those.

It does seem like that the kilt is trapped along with the macho compensation idea's
For it to be masculine it can't be comfortable. It has to be hot, thick and heavy. Let's add pleats so it's a literal pain in the arse. The belt has to be 3 to 4 inches wide, so it is uncomfortable. And the Only the best belt buckles can double as a shield, or for satellite dish for tv.
If you wear the sporran, it should resemble, something you hunted or ran over with your car.
If that wernt enough, carry a letter opener in your sock.

If you want more laughs watch this you tube video on the origin of the kilt.

#BBC #MichaelMcIntyre #ComedyRoadshow

How the Kilt was designed to be opposite to the English! | Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - BBC

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQIA_FEe3o
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

How the Kilt was designed to be opposite to the English! | Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - BBC

[/quote]

Utterly brilliant! No offense intended to Scots...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

No offence taken :-)

Sadly I find the man desperately unfunny - and this sketch, which could have been brilliant in another’s hands, just wasn’t that funny.

That’s just me though. Many find him amusing although most of my friends really don’t like him either. A real marmite comedian.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:33 pm I have kilts and skirts. The skirts do seem more practical.
Kilts are so heavy, and the pleats are a mess to deal with. My One PV kilt has not been ironed, so the pleats are almost non existent, so I sure Its quite a poor look from the back side.
The " concrete form" does seem to help hide a spongy mid section, if you have one of those.

It does seem like that the kilt is trapped along with the macho compensation idea's
For it to be masculine it can't be comfortable. It has to be hot, thick and heavy. Let's add pleats so it's a literal pain in the arse. The belt has to be 3 to 4 inches wide, so it is uncomfortable. And the Only the best belt buckles can double as a shield, or for satellite dish for tv.
If you wear the sporran, it should resemble, something you hunted or ran over with your car.
If that wernt enough, carry a letter opener in your sock.

I needed that laugh, thanks!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ray, I don't find him funny either and I have a very well developed sense of humour.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A Brisbane (Queensland) dentist with whom I worked for a time in the late '60s near Heathrow airport used to clench his teeth behind a half-smile and say 'Yegottahevasensahumah', which worked for both of us.
Long retired and living in Jersey I stepped ashore in St Hellier off a yot not long ago and we met up. His 'sensahumah' hadn't diminished one bit, I was delighted to note.

Alas, that young struggling stand-up comedian misses the point by a Country Mile.

Tom