Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Fred in Skirts »

alexthebird wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:44 am Saturday morning I was out shopping for vegetables at the local curb market (food stores of various types in the storefronts and produce stands on the sidewalk at the curb), dressed in an above the knee denim skirt and summer weight sweater. I'm picking over the tomatoes when a hipster reaches across me to grab some leeks. He's got the scruffy beard you often see on 20-somethings, a man-bun, and is wearing a loose summer weight dress with spaghetti straps.

Nobody (except the merchants assisting us, of course) is paying any attention to either of us.
As it should be!! Did you make any contact with him???
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Layne

Post by Layne »

Saw a guy in a liquor store in Duluth, MN in what appeared to be a full length knit tank dress.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Does it count that a local club meeting I attend regularly has a group of old greybeards like myself that attend these events in a Kilt? 8)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

phathack wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:03 am Does it count that a local club meeting I attend regularly has a group of old greybeards like myself that attend these events in a Kilt? 8)
Probably it is not in the wild (although I don't know what sort of club it is), and with people you know it is like calling yourself in the mirror a sighting :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

phathack wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:03 am Does it count that a local club meeting I attend regularly has a group of old greybeards like myself that attend these events in a Kilt? 8)
I would say yes, so long as it wasn't a club dedicated to kilt wearing it, Scottish (or similar) heritage, or something else that makes it part of the event.
Keildersoul

Post by Keildersoul »

From a long time ago, and largely responsible for my wearing skirts, a bearded business man in a chemist in Dundee. This happened c1986/7 in the middle of the day.

He was wearing a pinstripe suit, but in place of trousers he was wearing a pinstripe pencil skirt, sheet black hose and cuban heeled black brogues. Very smart, very business like and very interesting. It changed my attitude. No more hiding away for me from that day onward.
Love, peace and health

Jenni x
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Keildersoul wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:03 pm From a long time ago, and largely responsible for my wearing skirts, a bearded business man in a chemist in Dundee. This happened c1986/7 in the middle of the day.

He was wearing a pinstripe suit, but in place of trousers he was wearing a pinstripe pencil skirt, sheet black hose and cuban heeled black brogues. Very smart, very business like and very interesting. It changed my attitude. No more hiding away for me from that day onward.
I'm thinking it could be that same outfit that Alex Salmond wore a couple if times. I'm sure I saw photos of him in just this outfit - and was slated for it at the time! It wouldn't be him as I'm sure he has never had a beard.
If i remember correctly, i think he also wore it in New York on Tartan day but perhaps others can confirm?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Wrong First Minister. The one in the pinstripe kilt was Jack McConnell. It didn't suit him and he did not quite carry it off which was a shame - I salute his courage even though I never supported his party.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Since the last time I posted I saw a fellow in Costco wearing a neon green, taffeta skirt. I wanted to compliment him on his appearance, but he was obviously a man on a mission, the place was crowded (It is Costco afterall!) and once you're in a checkout line, you don't leave (They're long!)!

In addition, one of the checkers at the OfficeDepot I go to seems to always be in his Utilikilt.

The moral of the story: There's no field more attuned to public perception than retail. So, if retail, male checkers can wear a skirt in public, any male can.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:17 am
In addition, one of the checkers at the OfficeDepot I go to seems to always be in his Utilikilt.

The moral of the story: There's no field more attuned to public perception than retail. So, if retail, male checkers can wear a skirt in public, any male can.
Until my job went away when COVID got bad, I had been wearing skirts full time for about 4 years. I worked on the sales floor, and spoke to dozens, if not hundreds every day. Hardly even many looks, maybe one or two with anything seriously negative expressions. Lots of compliments though. Had one case where a husband and wife independently asked where I got my skirt as they both thought it was something the husband could wear. Several men or their wives mentioned they wore skirts at home.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Abingdon Virginia

Shell gas station on Porterfield Highway (edge of town)

Just saw a tall black man wearing a long (almost dragging the floor) caftan.

Cool!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

I'm out in the wild today, in my lovely skirt already for a day out and back to London. :mrgreen:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Was driving through Plymouth, MI today and saw two guys dressed in - best I can describe - identical french maid outfits. I don’t think these were serious skirted males - with Halloween so close I can’t think it was anything but a costume. That or they’ve been watching way too much TikTok (not sure I understand it, but there’s this weird french maid thing going on over there). I don’t spend any time on TikTok, not really sure if that’s what they were aiming for or not. The other thing was, at least from the road, they looked very tanned and mostly hairless, which seems like it would take bit more effort than a casual halloween costume.

Even with masks on, a family member in my car exclaimed, “Are those guys?”
SkirtNV

Post by SkirtNV »

I was watching HGTV yesterday and there was a female contractor wearing a men's utility kilt.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

That is part of the problem -- they are not "men's" or "women's" anything -- just a skirt; and we rather expect to see the ladies in such attire from time to time--the more delightful surprise is if her male co-workers are as well!