Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by moonshadow »

I sure am glad I don't live in a theocracy (yet...).
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

The problem with interrogating bibles is that they were written and subsequently translated by those who have an interest in what they are producing and not always with the same reasoning.

The difference between old and new testaments will also differ by translation on content and context as will (for example) the King James bible, which was written in a specific way to empower King James of England and Scotland. Add into the mix the timelines of these books and stories being "published" over hundreds of years and you can basically interpret what you like from them within wide boundaries.

You may believe they are your Gods will and that is fine, however take everything with a pinch of salt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Derek Plattis wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:35 am Were you skirted at the time Stevie?
Thanks Derek
I never go anywhere without one these days, that's a skirt not a bible for the sake of clarity.
Steve.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Dust said, "This is also an often unspoken reason Christians are so opposed to changes to the institution of marriage."

Make that some self-proclaimed Christians. My Christianity emphasizes the primacy of love rather than rigidly applying rules.

So please stop talking about Christianity as if your notion of it is the ONLY and definitive notion of Christianity.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know, there is a phrase that I've been hearing a lot lately, and surprisingly from people of a variety of liberal/conservative backgrounds....

That phrase is:

"You do you".

Indeed. Less dogma, more freedom.

You do you.

If you don't like gay marriage, then don't have one.

I just found out last night that I don't particularly care for fruit cake... now I know that makes me a horrible person :wink: ... but if you like fruit cake... you do you. In fact, you have have the rest of mine.... :mrgreen: I wouldn't try to ban fruit cakes.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:04 pm You do you.
I just found out last night that I don't particularly care for fruit cake... now I know that makes me a horrible person :wink: ... but if you like fruit cake... you do you. In fact, you have have the rest of mine.... :mrgreen: I wouldn't try to ban fruit cakes.
The only place I know that FRUITCAKE is banned is my house! :lol: :lol:
I have never liked fruitcake, ever since I was a child and every Christmas there was a lot of the stuff in my mothers house. I was forced to eat it as she would not let anyone throw it out. :(
For several years when I was working I would bake my version of "Fruitcake" Which used a quick bread recipe and dried fruit instead of the candied kind. I would then soak it in dark rum :twisted: and everyone loved it. It was a great hit at work with my fellow workers. My supervisor would try to eat as much as he could before the rest of the crew had a chance. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:04 pm The only place I know that FRUITCAKE is banned is my house! :lol: :lol:
*GASP*! I am OFFENDED! :wink:

:mrgreen: How dare you!!! I just so happen to be a FRUITCAKE! :mrgreen:

:rofl:
-Andrea
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

As the great Jimmy Buffett said (paraphrasing) "The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early, and there's a little bit of fruitcake left in every one of us." (some more than others) :lol:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ah, I was just a "bun in the over" at one time, and it took me quite a while to find my stride. And as much as I may like citrus, there's not a whole lot of "fruit" to me.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:04 pm You know, there is a phrase that I've been hearing a lot lately, and surprisingly from people of a variety of liberal/conservative backgrounds....

That phrase is:

"You do you".
For those of us on the other side of the ocean, could you parse that, please? Or deconstruct it? I have no idea what it means.

BTW, I am a big fan of my wife's fruit cake. And her Sachertorte, which she is going to make for my birthday next month :-)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

geron wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:46 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:04 pm"You do you".
For those of us on the other side of the ocean, could you parse that, please? Or deconstruct it? I have no idea what it means.
A light interpretation might be, "Be yourself", or more intellectual, "To thine own self be true."

Of course, due the the sometimes-slang use of "do" it could also mean "Go f* yourself."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:48 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:04 pm The only place I know that FRUITCAKE is banned is my house! :lol: :lol:

The two legged kind excepted... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :laff:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:39 pm
geron wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:46 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:04 pm"You do you".
A light interpretation might be, "Be yourself", or more intellectual, "To thine own self be true."

Of course, due the the sometimes-slang user of "do" it could also mean "Go f* yourself."
Ta very much. In cold print, there was just no way of knowing where the emphasis was placed!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Fred in Skirts » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:26 am
moonshadow wrote: ↑Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:48 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: ↑Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:04 am
The only place I know that FRUITCAKE is banned is my house! :lol: :lol:

The two legged kind excepted... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :laff:
Fred, now the question is: Are they also accepted :?: :P
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Oh so now Fred has a prejudice against fruitcakes that bounce around on one leg!

WHO ARE YOU FRED!!? :lol: :alien:
:wink:
-Andrea