Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by JRMILLER »

Gotta love festival time, just returned from the Dublin, Ohio Irish Festival. Saw more kilts today than I have seen collectively for the past 2 years. They focused on pipe bands for entertainment, hence, tons of people running around in their band uniforms. Also, lots of Utilikilts -- I only saw one other guy wearing the same tartan I was wearing (US Navy -- it's a nice blue).

Overall, it was just nice to see!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I've seen only five.

The first was loitering alone outside a thrift shop on a hot day in about 1998, full facial hair and man's T, but a sarong or long cotton wrap of some sort, socks and boots. He was very outgoing, I think experimenting to gauge public reaction.

The second was on Sandia Crest near Albuquerque, very unremarkable except for a full-length sarong, white socks, and leather sandals, October 2002.

The third was just out mowing his lawn in a Utilikilt, summer of 2007.

The fourth was a fellow in full Scottish regalia, Blazer, white ruffled blouse, sporran, sword, clan Kilt, knee highs, spats, and slip-on shoes. He was with well-dressed dinner guests at a Chipotle Grill of all places, fall of 2008.

The most recent was a fellow apparently alone on his way into a grocery store, wearing a colorful kilt - but I could not determine if it was plaid. I was on my way out. I put my stuff in the car and went back in to try to find him, but he had disappeared.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Just saw one standing at a bus stop in Baltimore -- the guy was wearing a tan Utiliklit. Really skinny fellow, the kilt just hung straight down, no flare to it all.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Thought you might enjoy the Chili Peppers.. note skirt on the front man.

They're playing Hendrix' Castles Made of Sand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ove5_eQT ... re=related
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Thats what we need big time. Skirts on top rock and roll bands! Kids wear what their heroes wear. Get a few more top bands wearing skirts and it will get started with the teenagers. Once that happens, there'll be no stopping it. :D :D :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Walking from a car park in Malmesbury (Wiltshire, UK) wearing my Fat Face wrap skirt this morning, I was welcomed with "Good to see someone else who dresses sensibly". The greeting came from a man in a superb kilt made from red fabric with a black print pattern, who introduced himself as "Maverick" an occasional poster, though regular reader, here. The kilt was self made and I'm impressed, way beyond my abilities.

It was good to meet you and your good lady today Maverick. I don't know if you noticed, but as you walked up the steps from the car park you passed a young couple (mid twenties?), the girl was fascinated by your kilt and had a huge smile on her face as she watched you walking away. I greeted her with "You don't often see a man in a kilt". She was just about to agree when her jaw hit the floor as she spotted how I was dressed. I continued "We're like buses you know, you wait ages for one then two turn up one after the other." She just dissolved into hysterics. It's always good to spread a little joy as we go. :D :D :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Great quip, Iain!
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Milfmog wrote: I greeted her with "You don't often see a man in a kilt". She was just about to agree when her jaw hit the floor as she spotted how I was dressed. I continued "We're like buses you know, you wait ages for one then two turn up one after the other." She just dissolved into hysterics. It's always good to spread a little joy as we go. :D :D :D
That is so, so funny, Ian! Thank you for that one.

Kris
nicothoe
Distinguished Member

Post by nicothoe »

In a couple of weeks, i plan to attend a pagan festival where I am sure to spot many guys wandering around in sarongs. Then there was naked T. who at the last festival bought a rather fine leather "kilt" which had me green with envy. And this was before I had ever worn a skirt!!!

Usually T. went around naked, but as I'm sure you'll agree, this skirt is damn hot!
leather-skirt.jpeg
After walking back to camp with T., wearing his new purchase, he convinced me that I should abandon the shorts and wear a sarong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be Bold. Be Skirted.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Do Contra Dances count as "in the wild"?

I went to CDNY's start-of-season Contra Dance yesterday, which went from 16:00 to 23:00. In addition to a hot band and a good caller, there was one guy in a Utilikilt yesterday, and about 4 guys (besides me) in skirts, out of maybe 200 people present.
RyeOfTheDead
Distinguished Member

Post by RyeOfTheDead »

There was a small street festival in Columbus, OH today called "Independent's Day" (http://www.thisisindependent.com/) and I decided to check it out. I wore my blue and black gingham skirt from Forever 21 that is in the "Yesterday and Purchase" section of the pics page, and a similar shirt but not quite the same, it was more of a dark dark grey T. Anyway, after being at the festival for about an hour and a half I saw another guy walk by wearing a brown sort of gypsy like skirt that went down to just below his knees. It was sort of tiered and had a little bit of a design on each division of the tiered. It looked good on him.

However, when I went up to him and said "Hey nice skirt," he seemed annoyed at me and just walked way, maybe he didn't notice mine and thought I was some jerk making fun of his outfit, who knows but it sort of bummed me out because I'm always on the lookout for fellow skirtmen and I was excited to actually see one.

(Note, when the website says "On Gay and Pearl," there is actually a street in Columbus named Gay Street.)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

AMM said: Do Contra Dances count as "in the wild"?
Absolutely, anywhere people are unabashedly having fun is "the wild". :D :D :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

I was out with my wife and one of our daughters to a flea market in Oregon today and met a guy in a Black UK Kilt. COOL. He was looking good.

And yes, I was in a camo cargo skirt, so two guys there today letting guys know you can wear what's comfortable.

TomH
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

I did mean to mention nearer the time but forgot - was at http://www.towerseyfestival.com at the end of August and the number of men in unbifurcated garments has been gradually on the rise over the years. I spent the weekend in my black Workmens model Utilikilt, Stirling from The Spooky Men's Chorale http://www.spookymen.com.au/ was in another UK and there were several other UK and non-UK MUGs around.

The one I missed but would like to have seen (possibly only briefly) was a kilt apparently made entirely out of yellow hi visibility material, including the grey reflective piping around the edges. I suspect that would have been rather bad for the eyes...

My kilt socks got a few compliments too. Mostly didn't have the heart to tell them they were from Top Shop (a retailer mostly aimed at girls and young/trendy women, for those not in the UK).
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

Another sighting for me! One last Saturday and another this Saturday. Is it just me or what?

Another guy in a Utilikilt. Met the one last week in Portland, today in Springfield/Eugene. This time it was at lunch in a fast food place called Carl's Jr. He was already sitting, so I had to look a couple times to make sure. I walked up and asked, he said "Sure is. It's the best way to go". I replied, "it's certainly the most comfortable". Looking at my denim skirt, he said, "Yes, it is".

Last week, a black one, today, tan and I think it was a corduroy type material. It would seem I'm proving that Utilikilt company is selling a lot of them. Good for us and them.

Tom