Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Coder »

Yesterday at church a wedding party was just outside of the hall - groomsmen and father were all wearing kilts (sporran+swords, socks), green/black pattern. There was a woman crossdressing with the lot in a red kilt :D (I think it was a woman, was a bit far away). The groom was driving off with the bride but I presume he was also wearing a kilt.

The family is Scottish, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them in kilts before for special events before (rarely, of course). Looking up their name the tartan seemed to match what Google suggests.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Yesterday as I was driving home after dropping our son off at the airport, a couple of guys were walking on the adjacent footpath. One had khaki shorts on but the other definitely was wearing a black knee-length skirt. I was driving slowly (20mph limit in our area) so managed to look at the front and back views (latter from rear view mirror). Both had heavy socks and hiking boots and were wearing dark t-shirts. Both were 50-60 years old. Nobody else seemed to notice them.

I have seen kilted fellows locally quite a few times but never a man in a skirt in our village. If I was alone in the car, I'd have stopped and had a chat. Missed opportunity there. Maybe my skirting exploits are helping other closeted men to venture out?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

skirtingtoday wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:03 pm a black knee-length skirt
Not a plain black kilt? I have one of those I bought in the Royal Mile.
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

A first for me!! Sitting in a restaurant tonight with the family, in my home town, saw a young lad wearing a skirt. He was a kind of gothic style guy, late teens/eariy-20’s. He was wearing a black, flared jacquard midi-skirt.

This was only the second time I’ve seen a guy in a skirt in public, and the first time in my home town.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Saw one guy in a black skirt today at the Ann Arbor Art Fair - it was almost ankle-length but slit to above the knee - not a lot of fabric, looked somewhat modern, if that makes sense. Saw another person in a dress but they were likely trans, or at a minimum non-binary. Still, she/he/they looked mostly male so I call that a win.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Popped into York yesterday, kind of on the way past and I had a couple of hours to spare.

Just outside the train station I was passed by a tall guy, long straight black hair, wearing a light blue dress.

York must be a hotbed, the last time I was there, it was a short guy in a green dress that stood out.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Bodycon wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:39 pm Popped into York yesterday, kind of on the way past and I had a couple of hours to spare.

Just outside the train station I was passed by a tall guy, long straight black hair, wearing a light blue dress.

York must be a hotbed, the last time I was there, it was a short guy in a green dress that stood out.
I have seen a few guys wearing Skirts and Dresses in York city centre. I just wish I could muster up the confidence to wear them out in public.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:33 am I have seen a few guys wearing Skirts and Dresses in York city centre. I just wish I could muster up the confidence to wear them out in public.
It's easy to say just do it, but the reality is that it's only you that can cross that bridge. I suspect there will be a "first time!" thread on here somewhere for reference.

I'm a dabbler and mostly just wear jeans / trousers, but hill walk and cycle only in skirts for comfort and now and then wear a skirt out when the notion takes me. I can't exactly say why it does, but sometimes it will.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

Saw a man in Union Square shopping center in Aberdeen last week during my visit there, after lunch with Stevie. An Asian looking man wearing what could have been a sarong which is common in some of those countries, happily shopping with probably his wife and children. Funny we discussed sarong variants at lunchtime. And yes I was skirted too, bog standard denim skirt.
steamman

Post by steamman »

Spotted a very tall man with long red hair wearing a long slinky dress in London. He looked absolutely stunning.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Just seen around 200 men wearing a variety of skirts.

Definitely about 50 sulus, 40 lavalavas…and at least 100 guys in kilts.

Yes, it was the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony which I was lucky enough to attend. The Fijians looked fabulous!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I can’t believe it. Almost 24 hours from seeing skirted men in front of 1 billion tv audience, and my post generates nil response?

HELLO. ARE YOU READING?
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Ray wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:11 pm I can’t believe it. Almost 24 hours from seeing skirted men in front of 1 billion tv audience, and my post generates nil response?

HELLO. ARE YOU READING?
Yes, I read your post, however, I didn't watch it and have nothing to contribute, so I didn't.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ah er something got lost in the translation transmission across the big drink-pond - - -
We are too caught up in global warming fires chips floods rains and ahem political matters - - -
So sorry missed reading linking to Skirted men at the Commonwealth Games - - -

YES SKIRTING MATTERS !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Ray wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:11 pm I can’t believe it. Almost 24 hours from seeing skirted men in front of 1 billion tv audience, and my post generates nil response?

HELLO. ARE YOU READING?
Aye, but...why do you want a reaction? Those men in kilts and skirts are wearing costume, not seen as everyday attire. How many wear the same at home or out and about?

Sorry to be downbeat, but its just a fleeting moment, not a movement.