Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by moonshadow »

new2skirts wrote:PS he's called Dustin Stephens if you search for his content. (sorry, no edit function :roll: )

Good find! Always nice to see free spirits in the southern states!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

We visited Universal Studios in Hollywood today. There was a family and the father was wearing a Utility Kilt. I had thought of wearing one today but decided not to. As soon as I saw the guy I was regretting my decision. I spoke to the guy and said “good for you” and that I should have worn mine. He said he was “air conditioned.”

It surprised us how busy it was today during the week while kids would normally have been at school. It seemed like a lot of people were making fashion statements on several unique clothing and hair styles. A kilt or skirt would not have been considered as extreme compared to unusual outfits, colors, etc.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:We visited Universal Studios in Hollywood today. There was a family and the father was wearing a Utility Kilt. I had thought of wearing one today but decided not to. As soon as I saw the guy I was regretting my decision. I spoke to the guy and said “good for you” and that I should have worn mine. He said he was “air conditioned.”

It surprised us how busy it was today during the week while kids would normally have been at school. It seemed like a lot of people were making fashion statements on several unique clothing and hair styles. A kilt or skirt would not have been considered as extreme compared to unusual outfits, colors, etc.

It being California - probably thought it was part of the cast crew set - when is the next performance of the Kilted Burning Don Quixote the Man from La Mancha on the
Yellow Brick Road to the see the Wizard of Oz almost eaten by Jaws and Backdrafted to exit the set safely !
Was amazed after seeing Backdraft while leaving the theatre scene the set had be reassembled and set up for the next performance as we were leaving.
All told about 40 seconds. The life like sets set up for an instant replay time and time again.

Who has time to note what fashions were being worn - but then yes the KILT - Utility Kilt or something else is not all that common.

For my 12 day rail and cruise vacation in Alaska wore kilts everywhere everyday - a sure conversation starter and like the post above there were
some regrets by those with kilts for not wearing them - the weather was hospitable - occasional rain on the knees. Women seem to be attractive
to the Man in the Kilt - one ole crudge mungen at a bar gave me the evil eye - was going to tell the bar tender to give him another drink but thought
otherwise - he looked like the caber had tossed him a few in his time.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Along with about one million other people, I took part in Sunday's People's Vote march in London (calling for a second referendum on the UK's membership of the EU) wearing a camouflage utility kilt. As I left my spot in a packed Parliament Square after the speeches, a middle-aged woman who must have been standing behind me stopped me and complimented me generously on my kilt. My wife, who heard it all, remarked that it always seems to be middle-aged women who do that. But I'm not going to complain....
unfork

Post by unfork »

You were neither the only casual kilt wearer at the march, nor the only one getting compliments :wink: :wink: 8) 8)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sorry geron, the issue of our membership in Europe was settled in one referendum. What's at issue at the moment is not that but in what terms we break from them. We have a body of MP's who, in general, want to remain in Europe often in defiance of their constituents and are thrashing around trying to stop an exit happening. So the issue of remaining in Europe is dead and buried. Since two PM's have tried to negotiate a deal that isn't acceptable to parliament what makes them think that they can do any better? They are good at saying what isn't acceptable but lousy at saying what is. What's the alternative - keep having referendums until you get the answer that you remainers want? Get over it - we said out once and out we should come, the only issue is on what terms. Just because you remainersat the moment are more vociferous doesn't make your demands right.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

An advisory non legally binding referendum doesn’t really cut it in my view but there you are. Economic reasons for remaining are compelling, particularly as there have been no concrete proposals from the Leave group. But there you go. It’s probably going to lead to the break up of the UK, and that’s no bad thing. Ireland may actually unite, and Scotland may leave England (&Wales) behind and stay in a successful European Union. We shall see.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote:Sorry geron, the issue of our membership in Europe was settled in one referendum.
This isn't the place to get into politics, Dennis. I'll just say that three years ago, very few people recognized the far-reaching implications of Brexit in terms of employment law and employment opportunities, harmonisation of technical standards, trade, consumer protection, environmental protection, safety of food and medicines, collaboration and co-operation in areas such as scientific research, technology and medicine, higher education, the arts and culture, security and many other areas.

The European project began in the 1950s with the basic aim of preventing France and Germany from going to war again by making their major industries interdependent, and so far it has prevented wars in Europe for 70 years -- possibly the longest period of peace since pre-Roman times. Today, in an increasingly globalised economy, it has built a trading bloc big enough to stand up to the biggest international corporations -- you know who they are -- which can otherwise simply walk all over individual countries and their citizens economically.

Today we have a clearer view of the proposition we are being offered (it has changed significantly since the 2016 referendum) and we should be given the opportunity to revisit the decision before it becomes final. The alternative may be to perpetrate the biggest act of national self-harm in generations. You may not see it that way, but your children and grandchildren may take a different view.

And now back to skirts and kilts.
Last edited by geron on Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That’s a very succinct summary in my view.

Nothing else to add.

Back to skirts!
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I was in the grocery store in pants when three teenagers appeared on my aisle. A boy, a girl, and a third person that I perceived to be a boy in a dress. He was wearing sneakers, black opaque tights, and a knee-length black and white dress. His hair was 2-3 inches long all over. No makeup. No significant masculine build. It was hard to detect. The three were a mix. Different races, different styles (typical + hair color and tattoos + boy in a dress). It would have been incredible if I had had someone to dress with when I was young. I spoke to them, but did not mention fashion, and smiled. I made eye contact with each of them. He seemed bashful as though this was one of his first grocery store outings.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That’s a lovely story and image.

Nine years ago, a group of friends (including me) was staying over in a country house. One of the children was desperate to wear his pink Disney Cinderella dress. His mother was mortified at this “secret” being blurted out. The mother was stunned when everyone in the room said, in effect,” what’s your problem? It’s just a dress. Let him have fun!”. She relented, got one hall six year old zooming about in a dress...and perhaps she learned something that weekend...
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Ray wrote:An advisory non legally binding referendum doesn’t really cut it in my view but there you are. Economic reasons for remaining are compelling, particularly as there have been no concrete proposals from the Leave group. But there you go. It’s probably going to lead to the break up of the UK, and that’s no bad thing. Ireland may actually unite, and Scotland may leave England (&Wales) behind and stay in a successful European Union. We shall see.

Question: Do you remember what we called the country now known as North Macedonia?

Answer: It used to be FYROM (Former Yugoslavia, Republic Of Macedonia).

Now, if Ray's comment comes to pass, and Scotland and Northern Ireland leave the United Kingdom, we may end up with FUKEW (Former United Kingdom, England and Wales)!
Familyman34
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

familyman34 wrote:Now, if Ray's comment comes to pass, and Scotland and Northern Ireland leave the United Kingdom, we may end up with FUKEW (Former United Kingdom, England and Wales)!
Is that your own, familyman? Brilliant!!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Made me laugh! Luckily nobody in the vicinity..
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Hi:

I have news from Worcester Massachusetts. First off, I was out for a movie date to meet my wife and I was at the Blackstone theater. As I was walking to the upper level I heard someone behind me, and when I looked there was a man in a full kilt, with sporran and beret. It was a Utilikilt and he looked at me, and I looked at hime, actually a bit startled! I said hi, he said hi, and then he asked where I got my kilt, and I said that he was the first guy I'd seen just casually walking at the mall. We exchanged pleasantries, I beleive his name was "Dave". Very good look

Secondly, on the same night, I met up with my wife at the restaurant and she said, "did you see the man in the dress?" Evidently she saw someone in a full yellow dress, clearly a man just wearing a dress. Nothing fancy, but she swears he looked masculine, but did have on an actual dress. I thought it might have been the same guy I saw but she said it was a dress, not a kilt. Great!

Thirdly. A friend of mine takes daily photos on the streets of worcester and today he posted a man in a kilt,, walking towards main street. Here it is:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.