Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Eborian »

I saw a man in Wells, Somerset on Sunday. He was wearing a denim kilt. Should have spoken to him.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

I saw a man in Wells, Somerset on Sunday. He was wearing a denim kilt. Should have spoken to him.

Probably Charlie :)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I figured out some time ago that if you don't DO things when you have the opportunity, you often don't ever have the opportunity again.

A common phrase in poker, regarding this same problem is..shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn't...

:thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

I saw a man in a tartan kilt on the opposite platform to myself at Clapham Junction this afternoon. I noticed the plain cream kilt hose first, as he was wearing a raincoat which pretty much covered the kilt, but the front was undone, and when he looked in my direction the kilt was visible as was a leather sporran. I suspect he was going to some sort of formal function, rather than just casually wearing it, but I could be wrong.

John
toddlenhame

Post by toddlenhame »

Last week I went to a company members meeting in Southwark (London). One of the attendees wore Scottish day wear, kilt, brogues, hose, sporran and a light brown tweed jacket. He seemed to fit in very well seeing as most people there were in "day casual".
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Two recent sightings...

The first was most certainly a guy in a skirt, however he did not seem to expect that anyone would recognise this. He had gone the whole nine yards with heels, hose, flowery mid-calf skirt, blouse (with a clearly visible bra underneath) and shoulder length wig. Sadly a severe six o'clock shadow, shoulders like an ox and hands like hams meant he had no chance of pulling it off and even from behind in poor light it was obvious to a casual glance. The hotel barman remained professional to his face, but took several minutes to recover once the chap left the bar (in something of a hurry after he saw three colleagues and I tucked away in a corner). Nothing to do with men wearing skirts as men and the hotel staff are still chuckling about it a week later... I will be back in the hotel from Sunday evening and fully intend to wear my UK to travel up. It will be interesting to see if I can break the "skirt on guy = wierdo" link for the staff, particularly as I have got to know most of them fairly well over the four weeks I have stayed there.

The second sighting was rather more positive. At Leicester Forest East motorway service area at about 19:15 this evening I spotted one chap (aged mid twenties??) wearing a tartan kilt with a t shirt; chatting with a group of his friends just outside the building. Few people paid him any more than scant attention as they went by. The colleague I was travelling with (who has seen me kilted) did not even notice the kilt until I pointed it out.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I took my wife to the Chippenham Folk Festival (29 - 30 May). We did lots of dancing – Irish set, contras (of course!) and my favourite - which I don't get much opportunity to do – Kentucky Running Sets. I wore a black corduroy Union kilt the whole time.

We went into a pub to listen to the folk music. There were two guys at the bar, both wearing tee shirts, knee-length skirts and socks – all yellow. We asked someone why they were wearing all yellow, plus skirts. The answer was “Don't ask”, so I assume it was some sort of bet. Anyway, although they were highly visible, no-one took much notice and got on with drinking and listening to the music. No cat calls, ribald remarks or anything of that nature.

Next day while walking around an exhibition tent, we spoke to a guy who made his own kilts and often wore skirts while out and about. He'd recently discovered that the tartan of the kilt he was wearing was that of the local (posh) girl's school :oops: I didn't discover his name, so "Hi there" if you're reading this.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Charlie wrote:Next day while walking around an exhibition tent, we spoke to a guy who made his own kilts and often wore skirts while out and about. He'd recently discovered that the tartan of the kilt he was wearing was that of the local (posh) girl's school :oops: I didn't discover his name, so "Hi there" if you're reading this.
I'd hazard a guess that the chap you met was "Maverick" a long time member here but with a zero post count. Nice guy and, if the kilt he was wearing when I met him at Abbey House Gardens last year is anything to go by, he's pretty good with a needle and thread.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

Charlie wrote:I took my wife to the Chippenham Folk Festival (29 - 30 May). We did lots of dancing – Irish set, contras (of course!) and my favourite - which I don't get much opportunity to do – Kentucky Running Sets. I wore a black corduroy Union kilt the whole time.
If you (or anyone else hereabouts) had been at Shepley Spring Festival the week before you'd have seen me in a Utilikilt, except for the last day when it had become just a bit too grubby. Even went up a ladder a few times! (The perils of being stage/venue manager.) Next weekend I'll be wearing it at http://www.southwellfolkfestival.org.uk/, doing something with car parks and campsites this time.

Cornbury Music Festival, Towersey Village Festival and finally End Of The Road festival are also all on the list for this year so if you're at one of them and see someone in a UK (both the current ones are black), there's a reasonable chance it'll be me so do say hello!
toddlenhame

Post by toddlenhame »

Last week I caught a glimpse of a man with a plain black knee length skirt, rolled down socks and walking boots in Spitalfields in London. This is a revamped market area, with a sprinking of small arts, clothing and bric-a-brac shops. He may have worked in one of these, as he was propping up a wall outside having a cigarette - can't smoke legally inside a workplace in the UK these days (or even in a three sided telephone booth....).
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Well, just me. I just thought it was time for another non-event "been out and about and nobody cared" post, especially since we seem to have some new members.

I am at my summer home in Washington (State). I have been wearing a variety of skirts: Yesterday shopping in a green plaid-patterned knee-length skirt, the previous day in a ladies kilt-skirt. Later yesterday out to the video store in a new khaki above the knee number...

I have been wearing these, and others, out to the pub or shopping or to the hardware store or just strolling around the tourist district with my lady wife. I have noticed that I get a lot more looks here than I do in New Orleans: I guess N'Orleanians are trained to take no notice of outlandish characters, of whatever sort! I have had no negative comments. I did overhear one fella telling his mate "Yeah, I really wanted to wear a kilt to work but my boss said no..." I was too far away from him to engage him in conversation on that point or I might have told him some success stories.

Our outings have included sitting at the little table in the window enjoying breakfast at a little coffee shop on the high street. This while wearing a longer khaki skirt that I have been wearing to work on the boat in. Or attending the Fourth of July parade in one of my kilt skirts. All very public - not just a dash to the self-serve gas station or such like.

Again: All in all a set of stories with really no point to them, except to reinforce the notion 'it's only clothing, and nobody really cares what you are wearing.'

Have a lovely summer!

Chris
hydroman47

Post by hydroman47 »

Saw an young man in Austin TX yeaterday wearing a black sarong with brown boots and no shirt.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Went to Priddy Folk Festival last Sunday.
Saw a young man wearing what appeared to be a blanket as an ankle-length skirt.
Another man who was collecting for charity wore a green short kilt over his trousers (might have been a woman's pleated skirt). Look OK though, apart from the trousers.
I wore a brown sarong (it was a hot day).
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Saw a young man along with his gf walking on one of the streets in Kirkland, WA. Looked like he was wearing a long shirt as a dress. Came down to his ankles. I didn't see any trousers on him, but he probably had shorts on underneath. Was driving @ the time, so didn't have a chance to talk.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I saw a guy in a skirt near the Ferry Plaza street artists area last Sunday. He was walking away from a group of people in their 20's who were setting up for a photo shoot. Don't know if he was part of the shoot; and didn't get a chance to talk to him as we were too far apart and his course was perpendicular to mine. At the time I thought it might have been a kilt, but I have since walked by a Scottish goods store that displays a kilt in the window and refreshed my memory of what a kilt looks like.

I was in the area to talk to one of the skirt vendors about making a winter skirt for me. I wasn't skirted at the time because I'm not yet to the point where I'll ride the bus while skirted.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco