Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Midas »

I agree. This is for real people wearing skirts in the real world, not people on a stage of any kind, or celebrity nonsense.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Midas wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:58 am I agree. This is for real people wearing skirts in the real world, not people on a stage of any kind, or celebrity nonsense.
I also agree If this were just men wearing skirts because they enjoy the freedom then yes it is news worthy, BUT these are men wearing a costume for a game or just as costume. If they wear them at home as a normal clothing choice then I would get excited.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Typical Americans. No idea of the world outside of the US. A costume, you say? It’s what Fijians and Samoans wear. All the time. Educate yourselves. It’s embarrassing to read the comments above.

And don’t EVER refer to a kilt as a costume. As a Scot, I take offence at that.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I am not American, but very much English. The point remains that those wearing skirts for a public performance are of no interest.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Ray wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:10 pm And don’t EVER refer to a kilt as a costume. As a Scot, I take offence at that.
I could retort, typical expats, more Scottish than the ones in Scotland. :lol:

I am a Scotsman and I described what they were all wearing as costume because that is what it is. National costume, if you like, but, whatever....

The vast majority of the competitors will not wear their costume on a daily basis (if indeed any will). Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw someone in a kilt who was wearing it as an ordinary outfit. Graduations, weddings etc. yes, but just because....no.

The modern kilt is more of a costume than any on show, bearing no resemblance to traditional wear other than being tartan and even tartan has been twisted in the mists of time from a simple woven at home creation, to being a Clan signifier, when it was never such a thing. From a simple wrap of material, to box pleats, to knife pleats, it has been honed into a skirt and just like the Kings Clothes (George IV anyone) we bought (quite literally) the story and the imagery as written by Walter Scott (rather than Hans Christian Andersen) in his turgid style.

The rest is history, but history is not always the truth.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ray wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:10 pm And don’t EVER refer to a kilt as a costume. As a Scot, I take offence at that.
Sorry Ray but you have set yourself up for this.
The kilt as we know it today is just a very poor shadow of the Highland Great Kilt which was the habitual garment for an Albanach male.
The modern kilt owes its existence more to the tourist industry and business acumen than any deep seated tradition.
Modern tartans were originally conceived in the 19th century by weavers in the Scottish lowlands. Worth noting that these worthy entrepreneurs would never likely have worn a kilt themselves. There is certainly no historic evidence which suggests that Robert Burns ever wore one either and alongside Wallace and the Bruce, he is probably held as the major exemplifier of Scots independence and nationhood.
BTW, the latter two never painted their faces blue either and the Broon family don't have a but'n'ben at Grannies Heilan Hame.
The saddest fact of all that a hell of a lot of the myths surrounding Scottish history since the 18th century has actually hampered and stifled our development as an independent nation.
Finally, as a Scot, actually living in Scotland, I will confirm, the "kilt" is just a fancy overpriced skirt with little in the way of valid provenance to merit much more.
That said, if anyone wishes to expend the cash for one, that is their own business. Just don't try to claim that you are maintaining a proud tradition, that is offensive and false too.
Steve.
PS I could have been "sighted" on Friday. Black Stewart pleated skirt, with a Kennedy family crest for a pin and sweatshirt with Liberte` as a logo. You know what, no one looked twice, just assumed "kilt" I guess. Ha Ha Ha....... Bloody lucky the Tartan Fashionists didn't get me or I'd have been hung by my dazzies.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Over last week i got spotted out in the wild a few times. Came out of pizza store and walking to my car and guy yelled out of his car Nice Kilt,
Wile getting gas i had lady go Oh thats a skirt how nice, I bet your not feeling heat in that, She was all smiles.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I live in York but very rarely go in the City centre due to the difficulty of parking. So I can't say if there are many skirt wearers out there. But York has two Universities so it is possible that there are the unconventionables among them. Incidentally I read Computer Science at York and if I were to attend there now I would wear a skirt there all the time. It may even have been a time when I could have overcome my wife's objections. Ah, a wasted opportunity but, in my defence, wearing a skirt didn't occur to me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Sinned wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:20 pm I live in York but very rarely go in the City centre due to the difficulty of parking. So I can't say if there are many skirt wearers out there.
Lat week I popped in as I was at Rufforth in the morning and heading to Leeds later on. I got the train in from Poppleton to avoid parking issues, though I have used the park and rides around the A64 before.

I saw a chap in a dress near the Station, time before it was a chap in a dress near the Minster, that time I was in a skirt, so some must have seen two men in skirts / dresses at once...

I also noticed this time that Russell's Carvery had closed, turns out it was a while ago. I've spent a few good evenings in there getting stuffed.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Stevie

I have two kilts that bear no resemblance to the “national costume”. One is tweed. The other is fine wool in green/purple. Neither is tartan.

They are skirted garments. I have no preciousness about the term kilt. For me they are clothing which has a strong Scottish association. Not a costume. For me they are great value. I don’t buy cheap crap. £400 for a garment that will last a lifetime is great value. Not everyone gets that, or wants a kilt. Fine by me.

Each to their own.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

steamman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:43 pm Spotted a very tall man with long red hair wearing a long slinky dress in London. He looked absolutely stunning.
Spotted a man wearing a denim skirt, knee length, with sneakers (trainers) and a T shirt on a local High Road in north London :mrgreen: nice not to feel so alone. Zero reactions from passers by, I was wearing a tartan pencil skirt at the time with trainers as I was about to pop to Primark for a browse about 8)

Ray, I too have some very expensive kilts, although skirted garments, cost an absolute fortune that aren't day to day wear, hence more tartan pencils instead. Someone said they liked my kilt yesterday :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Twice now I have been told about another skirted guy being seen around the Union Square area of Aberdeen.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen him personally but if YOU are out there and wish to make contact, please do not hesitate.
Steve.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:43 am Twice now I have been told about another skirted guy being seen around the Union Square area of Aberdeen.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen him personally but if YOU are out there and wish to make contact, please do not hesitate.
Steve.
The day I came up last week there were at least 2, me and an Asian man in a sarong. Bear in mind of course theres a growing number of "transwomen" who look very much like men, maybe with long hair.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I missed seeing it, but my wife saw a guy in a skirt today at Starbuck's: with a beard, in a purple top and a calf-length A-line black skirt with geometric type patterns on it. Good to know there are some stylish guys in the area.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sighting of a kind but a question too.
Young guy alighting from a bus that I was on today.
Definite cross-dresser and may actually have passed as a female at a reasonable distance.
They had on a micro mini dress which given the body shape was ok. The perplexing bit was the fox brush, presumably fake, poking from underneath the rear.
Is this sending some signal or have particular significance that anyone knows of.
It was certainly getting attention, I just hope it didn't become the wrong kind.
Not so down with the kids these days.
Steve.