Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Derek Plattis »

Bodycon wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:39 pm Popped into York yesterday, kind of on the way past and I had a couple of hours to spare.

York must be a hotbed, the last time I was there, it was a short guy in a green dress that stood out.
Ive skirted in York city centre once or twice now - always had a good time - noone seems particularly bothered.
I've given it up for a bit now though.

Derek
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I arrived at Edinburgh airport on Thursday 22nd, late afternoon from a holiday in Corfu as I left the terminal building, I briefly glimpsed a guy in what I thought was a white t-shirt and bright red shorts. Thought nothing more of it until we eventually found the relocated taxi ranks (poirky signposted) when I saw him again.

It was much more obvious he was wearing a cheerleader minidress. White top half with "CHEERS" written across it and a floaty red mid-thigh skirt. He was probably mid-20s to 30yo. He was waiting with another guy (denims and jzcket) near the taxi rank when another guy joined them (he also in denims). They then joined the taxi queue. Nobody else seemed to notice and his 2 friends were fine with it. At the last point we were at the ftont of the taxi queue and our taxi arriced.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

skirtingtoday wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:54 am I arrived at Edinburgh airport on Thursday 22nd, late afternoon from a holiday in Corfu as I left the terminal building, I briefly glimpsed a guy in what I thought was a white t-shirt and bright red shorts. Thought nothing more of it until we eventually found the relocated taxi ranks (poirky signposted) when I saw him again.

It was much more obvious he was wearing a cheerleader minidress. White top half with "CHEERS" written across it and a floaty red mid-thigh skirt. He was probably mid-20s to 30yo. He was waiting with another guy (denims and jzcket) near the taxi rank when another guy joined them (he also in denims). They then joined the taxi queue. Nobody else seemed to notice and his 2 friends were fine with it. At the last point we were at the ftont of the taxi queue and our taxi arriced.
Makes we wonder where my cheerleader uniform is. It was Red & White with Yellow trim, a Sleeveless top, and a Skirt bottom.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Interesting one this afternoon coming our of our local shopping centre, dad with two kids following, a boy and a girl. Both of the kids were wearing dresses.
It was quite cool to see that, the little guy, probably aged 6 or 7, was wearing a patterned dress, and it was completely natural looking for him. No other reactions to either him, his slightly older sister or dad. Just as it should be.

My wife saw them and noticed them before I did, and I think the was initially surprised but said it looked good.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:29 am Interesting one this afternoon coming our of our local shopping centre, dad with two kids following, a boy and a girl. Both of the kids were wearing dresses.
It was quite cool to see that, the little guy, probably aged 6 or 7, was wearing a patterned dress, and it was completely natural looking for him. No other reactions to either him, his slightly older sister or dad. Just as it should be.

My wife saw them and noticed them before I did, and I think the was initially surprised but said it looked good.
At 6 or 7, how do you know if a child was a boy or girl? Couldn't it just as well have been a girl with a boyish haircut?
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Was in Norwich on Wednesday and saw a guy wearing a skirt and leggings going into The Forum (Norwich Library). No one really seemed to notice or care apart from me.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

I think that I've seen him several times too, around Anglia Square.

He seems to be on good terms with the staff in some of the charity shops there.
Familyman34
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

May have to have a look round Anglia Square at some point in those shops, may even see them from the bus when passing through from the coast.
tnwheels

Post by tnwheels »

I walk at least every other day on a local walking trail. I normally wear a black skort. I encounter a lot of people and occasionally run into someone I know. I have had zero negative reactions. Today my wife and I were walking and I noticed a guy up in front of us getting on a bike and he was wearing a green utility kilt. I thought that was pretty cool. He did not see us as he was heading in the opposite direction. I would have liked to have said hi and payed him a compliment.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

Two weeks ago while waiting for a shuttle bus at the Grand Canyon National Park, my wife spotted a man wearing a black kilt waiting for another bus. Too awkward to sprint over and greet him. My wife's comment "a man in a men's skirt".
She does not like me wearing skirts, prefers that I not, but it does not stop me. And we still do things together!

By the way that was in the middle of a 25 day, 16 state, 6800 mile road trip.

I wore skirts every day: getting gas (lots of stops), hotel lobby each evening and morning (free breakfast was a requirement when looking for a place to stay each night), rest stops, grocery stores, restaurants, occasional bar, and lots of Park Visitor Centers.

At the Hoover Dam, the guide asked about my "kilt", I told him, nope its a skirt. Conversation went on about why I wear: for comfort, and they are great in hot weather (duh: Arizona, Nevada). His response was that he wore a kilt in a marching band while in college, but they were heavy and hot. Maybe he will think about skirts.

Only negative comment, while we were walking out of a hotel to get dinner, a guy asked "if I play the bagpipe". He had been sitting in the lobby when we checked in and when I brought all our luggage up to our room. So I guess he noticed my skirt. My response as we were walking out the door "Nope". He was gone when we got back after dinner. May have lost the chance to educate him, but he was a burly looking truck driver, not sure he would be interested. (And I was not interested in any conflicts.)

Trying to do my part making MIS mainstream.
Ken
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Hey Ken,

Interesting comment from your wife about a man wearing a mens kilt. Is she against you in skirts but would be ok with you in a mens kilt?
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

I do have several kilts mostly for hiking. As I prefer skirts (and have many of them than kilts) I am not sure if I should pursue that approach if she then says "OK then only kilts"
Ken
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

K_Highlander wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:42 am I do have several kilts mostly for hiking. As I prefer skirts (and have many of them than kilts) I am not sure if I should pursue that approach if she then says "OK then only kilts"
Ken
What if it was a mens or unisex skirt?
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

SkaterSkirtWearer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:27 am Was in Norwich on Wednesday and saw a guy wearing a skirt and leggings going into The Forum (Norwich Library). No one really seemed to notice or care apart from me.
Norwich is one of the few places I've actually been laughed at when skirt wearing. Some years ago a couple guys on scaffolding in London Street thought it was hilarious as I made my way into a charity shop.
Come to think of it, I can only remember that sort of reaction happening in one other place. That was Wellington in Somerset some years ago. Two lads passed me in a car as I walked down the street and shouted in amusement at me.
After many years of occaisonal skirt wearing, those are the only negative reactions I can remember.

Derek
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Derek Plattis wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:18 am Some years ago a couple guys on scaffolding in London Street thought it was hilarious as I made my way into a charity shop.
It was guys on scaffolding that made a noise at me in a kilt once, in Hereford. Fortunately one shouted that classic leading question: "What are you wearing under that?", which enabled me to produce the correct reply: "Your wife's lipstick!", causing huge laughter among the rest of the crew.