Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Coder »

I know this might not count - and couldn’t find a movie thread…

“The Hunter” with William Defoe - about 28 minutes in he’s at a gas station and I’m nearly positive a guy he talks with is wearing a black kilt. They don’t shoot below the belt, but the garment looks pleated and unbifuricated.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Today while I was coming back from a shop, two men in the 30's I'll say, did compliment me about my skirt. One of them looked quite enthousiast while we did speak and said "mega style". Not sure if it was a genuine compliment or not (they look like the kind of guys that I generally avoid to speak with), but it was cool :) Same outfit than for my recent hill climbing, gray a-line skirt, white polo-shirt, and a belt bag.

Funny thing: except from my friend Sophie, it's the very first time I receive a compliment about my skirt :lol:
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Seen in a branch of Waitrose near Bristol a man in a black skirt with a floral pattern.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Walking down Wells High street today, saw a man coming towards me wearing a miniskirt. Not sure if he saw me, I was wearing a denim mini 4" above the knee. When I asked, my wife said she hadn't noticed him.
That makes two guys in Wells, and I'm sure there's another one that wears a kilt. :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Well
   Well
      Well!
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I have a son + family living in Wells and on my last pre-Covid visit there the Market Place was very crowded with people, but that didn't stop me spotting a mature gentleman wearing a knee-length godet skirt & jacket walking SW with (presumably) his spouse through the crowds with no-one taking the slightest bit of notice. The dark tights probably helped, I suppose.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

A few days ago, in the rotunda of Anglia Square, Norwich (UK), a couple, early 20s I think, where the man was wearing a knee-length camouflage skirt; he was sitting, but I think that it was a skirt rather than a military-style kilt as it seemed to have fairly shallow pleats all round (at the front too where a kilt would be flat).
Familyman34
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I don't suppose it counts as "sightings in the wild" when we are the ones sporting the skirt; but I have had more interactions this last week than in a long cumulative time as we've been out scouting for assisted living facilities for my parents. As typical, I've obviously been in a skirt and it seems the old folks in these A/L and Independent Senior Living homes are not only observant, they are not reluctant to say something. I've gotten a couple of the "is that a kilt" opening line and a rather bold "why are you wearing women's clothes" from one probably 85+ lady, who only took my answer of comfort and non-gendered cloth with a nod and said "well, you'll give the folks around here a lot fun"! You can bet whatever the thoughts, the marketing people had, they gave no indication of anything being ajar. Anyway, it seems I may have some fun being a 'sighting in the wild' for a couple more weeks.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Faldaguy
I haven't been around older folks in the sense that you have,
However, I would agree with your comments.
In my own experience the youngest and eldest have made the most candid comments of all.
Equally they can also be the most accepting of all too.
Steve.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

Whilst visiting Durham I spotted a young man - student age I would say, wearing what appeared to be a bi-furcated dress. It was green with a pattern of leaves in cream and came to just below the knee. I though he looked very cool, in both senses of the word.

Derek
cornish63

Post by cornish63 »

Out in Launceston yesterday, I was in my dark brown utility kilt, Wife and I were in the local branch of Tesco, and I had my first sighting in the wild of another wearer. I had thought I had glimpsed another male wearer a couple of weeks ago, but had been in a hurry, so didn't do more than think "hmmm, I wonder?" as I wasn't sure, but the person was there again yesterday. Black top, black knee-length skirt with probably about 2" heeled low boots, black tights (in the middle of a heatwave: brave!) earrings, about a grade 3 haircut. My wife hadn't noticed, and when I commented about not being the only skirted man in the shop, her head went round so quickly I'm surprised it didn't break off her neck. Everybody around seemed to be treating them with indifference. I didn't comment, because I'm not the sort of person that can go up to a stranger and start a chat. According to my wife, only one person seemed to notice me, a middle-aged lady apparently gave me a bit of a long stare, but that was all. On a hot day, walking down between the chiller cabinets and feeling the breeze up my legs was an amazing experience. Even Wife, normally a leggings person wore a dress because it was so hot, but she is so anti bare legs, that she was wearing tights.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Actually saw another male skirt wearer out in public yesterday for the first time.

The temperature here in London has been on the hot & sweaty scale for a number of days, as such I've been wearing my navy golf skirt to work. Nice and light in the heat (work for me is driving a classic red London bus, or a greenhouse on wheels!). So I'm sat at the bus station on a break when along comes a teenager wearing a black pleated miniskirt, black t-shirt and black long fishnet socks with trainers. Clearly going for a goth look. I thought he looked pretty cool (black is my happy colour).

He stood right in front of me for a good few minutes looking for his bus ticket, this really amused me as he and his lady companion were going through the contents of her handbag to find their tickets. Guess he didn't have any pockets! :lol: :lol: :lol:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

victor1964 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:29 am He stood right in front of me for a good few minutes looking for his bus ticket, this really amused me as he and his lady companion were going through the contents of her handbag to find their tickets. Guess he didn't have any pockets! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had to ask someone to look after my keys when I was out to dinner for that very reason.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

denimini wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:27 am
victor1964 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:29 am He stood right in front of me for a good few minutes looking for his bus ticket, this really amused me as he and his lady companion were going through the contents of her handbag to find their tickets. Guess he didn't have any pockets! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had to ask someone to look after my keys when I was out to dinner for that very reason.
One of the reasons I like my car is that I can leave the keys in the glove box out of sight and lock the car up tight. All I have to do is remember the pass code on the door a 5 digit number. Just punch it in and I'm in...
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

Saturday morning I was out shopping for vegetables at the local curb market (food stores of various types in the storefronts and produce stands on the sidewalk at the curb), dressed in an above the knee denim skirt and summer weight sweater. I'm picking over the tomatoes when a hipster reaches across me to grab some leeks. He's got the scruffy beard you often see on 20-somethings, a man-bun, and is wearing a loose summer weight dress with spaghetti straps.

Nobody (except the merchants assisting us, of course) is paying any attention to either of us.