Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby oldsalt1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:34 am

mskirt wrote:I guess I’ll report my sightings. Last Saturday, (15th) my wife and two daughters 24 and 27 went to Pridefest in Denver. It was unplanned but lots of fun. I saw four or five men walking around in utkilts and several more in various skirts. Some more outfits that were what I would consider ‘out there’ ... but no one was paying any interest just a lot of people having a great time. I may have had a beer too many. 8) No I did not wear I’m just not ready to explain to my daughters yet but I will next year.

How supportive is your wife.

As for your daughters . You say it was unplanned but someone had to suggest it. I think the fact that they would even go to a Pridefest shows them to be a little more acceptive than you may realize. Forgetting about the extremes. I would use a discussion about the trip to casually bring up the subject of "What did you think of the men wearing skirts. " it might be a good indication of their thoughts on the subject
User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby mskirt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:22 pm

It was just something to do on a very nice summer day. The event was suggested by my youngest because she was going to meet a transgendered friend anyway. My daughters are very open minded so I doubt they would care at all but I’m not ready to have a talk about that yet. My wife and I have been out many times with me in a skirt in the last year. Any how, anyone that has never been to one of these events, give it a try. I found it very mellow. Lots of mostly ordinary seeming people. Next year I’ll wear.
mskirt
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby dillon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:54 am

mskirt wrote:It was just something to do on a very nice summer day. The event was suggested by my youngest because she was going to meet a transgendered friend anyway. My daughters are very open minded so I doubt they would care at all but I’m not ready to have a talk about that yet. My wife and I have been out many times with me in a skirt in the last year. Any how, anyone that has never been to one of these events, give it a try. I found it very mellow. Lots of mostly ordinary seeming people. Next year I’ll wear.

I hope the weather had warmed a bit from the conditions in May, although I think maybe not. I was in my physicians office Monday, and noticed that he was streaming a Colorado radio station in the exam room. It was about 0830 Eastern time which would have been 0630 Mountain time, but the temperature they reported was 45F. Our low temperature that morning was 72F. I generally like cooler weather, but it freaks me out when it’s in mid-June. I’m too Southern, I suppose.

But in the spirit of Pride Month, I’d like to recommend the film ‘Wild Nights With Emily’ with former SNL actress Molly Shannon. It’s a depiction of what Amherst historians have discovered about the real life of poet Emily Dickinson.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby Dust » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:41 pm

oldsalt1 wrote: How supportive is your wife.

As for your daughters . You say it was unplanned but someone had to suggest it. I think the fact that they would even go to a Pridefest shows them to be a little more acceptive than you may realize. Forgetting about the extremes. I would use a discussion about the trip to casually bring up the subject of "What did you think of the men wearing skirts. " it might be a good indication of their thoughts on the subject

I have not seen a correlation between LGBT support and acceptance of men in skirts outside of events like that. Many in that group tend to assume it has something to do with an assumed LGBT status in the wearer. That assumption leads them to think that if you aren't transgender that you shouldn't wear it outside "pride" type events, and also leads to the "okay, but not my man" syndrome.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby dillon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:27 am

Dust wrote:I have not seen a correlation between LGBT support and acceptance of men in skirts outside of events like that. Many in that group tend to assume it has something to do with an assumed LGBT status in the wearer. That assumption leads them to think that if you aren't transgender that you shouldn't wear it outside "pride" type events, and also leads to the "okay, but not my man" syndrome.

I no longer worry about other people’s assumptions. It really doesn’t trouble me to know that most folks who see me skirted automatically assign me the Q from LGBTQ. They don’t know my heart or mind. They haven’t walked in my shoes. They never will. Nor I, theirs. Mskirt, you’re right to feel good about showing up at a Pride march regardless of whether you went skirted or trousered. I believe that when we measure our discomfort at being out in public with our skirts - because of our fear of “assumptions” - against the standard of courage of the person who comes out as gay or transgender to family, friends, employers, and coworkers, the right thing to do is to acknowledge their courage and offer support. Whether you do so flying your own flag, so to speak, is less important than the fact that you were there. Thanks for doing that, mskirt.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby mskirt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:56 pm

dillon wrote:I hope the weather had warmed a bit from the conditions in May, although I think maybe not. I was in my physicians office Monday, and noticed that he was streaming a Colorado radio station in the exam room. It was about 0830 Eastern time which would have been 0630 Mountain time, but the temperature they reported was 45F. Our low temperature that morning was 72F. I generally like cooler weather, but it freaks me out when it’s in mid-June. I’m too Southern, I suppose.

But in the spirit of Pride Month, I’d like to recommend the film ‘Wild Nights With Emily’ with former SNL actress Molly Shannon. It’s a depiction of what Amherst historians have discovered about the real life of poet Emily Dickinson.


Dillon, there is no doubt it has been a ugly spring. Usually by June I’m out on my deck daily. This June you need a coat an umbrella! I’ll take a look at that movie.
mskirt
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby mskirt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Dust wrote:I have not seen a correlation between LGBT support and acceptance of men in skirts outside of events like that. Many in that group tend to assume it has something to do with an assumed LGBT status in the wearer. That assumption leads them to think that if you aren't transgender that you shouldn't wear it outside "pride" type events, and also leads to the "okay, but not my man" syndrome.


I’m not sure people assume a man in a skirt is gay just because he is at that event. I know I didn’t. In fact, most of the people I observed walking around appeared to be straight. It just seems to bring out the liberal minded attitude. What an event like this does is you know the people there are accepting of other lifestyles and not judging. Whereas in the general population, you think most people are accepting.
mskirt
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby Grok » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:07 am

At the Greenwood Car Show today, in Seattle-a man wearing a sarong, sandals, and sunglasses. Less surprising, a man in a Utilikilt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1809
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby dillon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 am

mskirt wrote:
Dust wrote:I have not seen a correlation between LGBT support and acceptance of men in skirts outside of events like that. Many in that group tend to assume it has something to do with an assumed LGBT status in the wearer. That assumption leads them to think that if you aren't transgender that you shouldn't wear it outside "pride" type events, and also leads to the "okay, but not my man" syndrome.


I’m not sure people assume a man in a skirt is gay just because he is at that event. I know I didn’t. In fact, most of the people I observed walking around appeared to be straight. It just seems to bring out the liberal minded attitude. What an event like this does is you know the people there are accepting of other lifestyles and not judging. Whereas in the general population, you think most people are accepting.

I guess I wonder if “accepting” precludes “assumptions.” If it does in Colorado, feel fortunate. I think both are rare in my neck of the woods.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby andrewsh » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:42 am

So, we’ve been in Mexico City since Thursday, and it happened that just on this weekend there was Mexico City Pride. We went to see it, since neither my girlfriend nor I have even been to any such event, and we’ve seen quite a few men in skirts. I’m not only talking now about people using skirts to look feminine, but usually (well, for some definition of usually) looking guys wearing skirts. I’ve seen about three tartan-patterned skirts (not sure if they were proper kilts or not, but they were definitely not woollen), and a bunch of solid dark-coloured ones, mostly black. I didn’t take pictures of most of them, sadly, except one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andrewsh
Active Member
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:08 am

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby Jerevo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm

I have collated a few sightings over the past few months - none to my taste, but all coherent outfits that worked for their wearers:

At the Spielewiese games fair in Munich: brown leather skirt, yellow sleeveless top, knee boots;
Frankfurt am Main central station:
- Kilt/boots combo, all leather, pleats and metalware, large faux hiking boots;
- Mid-calf light-green skirt with scalloped trim, darker-green tee, determinedly navigating a bike through the rush-hour crowds.

Most importantly, common to all sightings: They were each just one more walking tree in the human forest occasioning neither comment nor furtive second glance (or at least, none that I could see).

J
Jerevo
Active Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:49 am
Location: Munich

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby skirtyscot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:10 am

Granada, Spain, on Thursday: a man in a kaftan, a long flowing off-white robe, which looked about right for the 100° heat of that day. He also had long tousled hair. A hippie, basically. He was walking down from the direction of the Albaicín, where alternative lifestyles are, I understand, quite common. Further up the road we passed three bong shops, and the kaftan seemed to fit in.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2989
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: West Kilbride, Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby 6ft3Aussie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:30 am

Was in downtown Brisbane and then picking up a friend from her apartment at Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley today at around lunchtime, we’d just parked in the only available slot on the right side of the road (one way road) and two guys walked past, my attention was taken up in squeezing into a parking spot, when in the rear view wing mirror I clearly saw that one of the two guys was wearing a black utility kilt that had what looked like fine black and white patterning in the pleats, and a black T shirt. In the car was my wife and two Japanese exchange students who are staying with us for a couple of weeks. None of them saw the kilted fellow, even after I told my wife. I saw them crossing the road behind us in the mirror, and carry on down the road. As I was looking back it was clearly a utility kilt.

Not the first time I’ve seen guys wearing kilts or utility kilts around Brisbane. Had I seen him earlier I probably would have said to him that I like the kilt.

My wife did ask if it was similar to mine, but she didn’t see him.

They’re out there around Brissie!
6ft3Aussie
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 11:24 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby Knickson » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:37 pm

In England a kilt on a man is nothing , it got to be the thing for all the men and boys at weddings to wear them if the groom had any Scottish heritage ,and that`s without kilted Scottish football fans getting drunk falling over and showing they forgot to put any knickers on !
Knickson
Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby Derek Plattis » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Knickson wrote:In England a kilt on a man is nothing , it got to be the thing for all the men and boys at weddings to wear them if the groom had any Scottish heritage ,and that`s without kilted Scottish football fans getting drunk falling over and showing they forgot to put any knickers on !


I am sure very few Scotsmen would refer to their kilts as "skirts". Wearing a kilt in the U.K. is definitely no big deal. It is usually a formal choice of clothing for a Scotsman and is, of course, generally accompanied by the rest of the "get up" i.e. sporran, long socks, jacket etc.. I'm sure less formal tartan kilts for every day wear can be found in the more remote parts of Scotland so, lets not make a fuss about wearing kilts. They are recognised as typically male items of clothing and wearing them should not be problematic at all. A skirt, however is quite a different kettle of fish!

Derek
Derek Plattis
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: U.K.

PreviousNext

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 1 guest