The Macabi Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tea length skirt.

Post by Grok »

Alternative term I came across, defined online.

"Tea" length. The skirt ends just above the ankle, or two or three inches above the ankle. "Tea" length is less confusing than "ballerina", as people may think I am referring to a Tutu,
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Macabi Skirt

Post by Grok »

Early summer in Seattle. The day is sunny and warm-not hot. Wearing (original style) Macabi. A slight breeze. Hard to put into words the physical sensations. There is some cooling effect as the breeze swirls around my legs. You might experience cooling of your bare skin when you wear shorts. But with shorts, the breeze is cooling as it goes right past you. With the Macabi, however, the breeze seems to want to swirl up inside the skirt, while the skirt gives one a sense of being clothed below the knees.

If, as a man, you have never tried skirts, you don't know what you are missing.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I have maybe 6 of the knee-length Macabi's and have been wearing them quite a lot as the weather gets warm. They dry fast and seem to wear very well over time, they look the same as new even after a few years. If I get them dirty from working outside I just toss them in the wash like anything else. I've been curious about trying one of the longer ones, but they come in "original" and "slim" and I'm not sure which might work out better. Does anyone here have any experience with the either of those?

The knee length one is not tight around my hips/legs at all, only at the waist where it's got the elastic and draw-string, it's quite comfortable that way. I'm leaning towards the "slim" one as it's 10" less diameter at the bottom hem but I don't know if it will impede my gait at all.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have two of the original, and one knee length. I have never tried the slim version.

With the original there is no problem with walking. I haven't tried running in one though. (I have arthritis in my knees). I would describe the original as a rather long A-line.

It looks like all three designs are still available in a few colors. But there is a closing out sale for certain colors, presumably less popular ones.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Grok wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:11 pm With the original there is no problem with walking.
Thanks for the info, one of the closeout colors is one of my favorites so I took advantage of the close out sale. I also hadn't realized the longer skirts come in 3 lengths (31", 34", 38") so I went with the shortest one which is probably a good length for me.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The two originals I have are listed as Short XL. This size works well for me. On me, I am not sure how the length would be described: midi?; maxi?

The newer is terra cotta. The older is a bright red-I think it has been a few years since that color has been available.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Grok wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:02 pm On me, I am not sure how the length would be described: midi?; maxi?
The Short/L Slim on me hits mid-calf when worn at the natural waist. Might be nice on a cool summer evening. Looks nice enough and maybe a bit less poofy around the hips than my usual knee-length ones. Not used to walking around in a longer skirt so that may take some getting used to.