The Macabi Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

The Macabi Skirt

Post by JRMILLER »

I have owned a Macabi skirt (made specifically for men) for a little over a year. This past weekend, got a chance to use it kayaking on the local river. This skirt is made of quick drying fabric and the length and appearance of it can be adjusted to suit. The idea is when it's hot, you adjust if up, when you need to shield from the sun, drop it down. In the kayak, I had it up most of the trip, but noticed my inner thighs were pinking up in the sun, so I pulled it down to cover. It worked quite well. Also, when you paddle you dribble a lot of water into your lap and the water just beaded up on the skirt.

Overall, it was a wonderful trip, got to see lots of wildlife, got a good workout (5 hours) and got to wear a new skirt. Yes, Toni was with me. When she first saw it she wondered what the Hell it was (I had it up and it looks very odd). I told her what it was and she said something to the effect, well, we will be out on the river, no one will care....

Here's a link to the site, if you are collector of odd skirts, this is a good one for you collection.

http://www.macabiskirt.com/mens_home.php
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Macabi Skirt

Post by Mipi »

I'm watching those Macabi skirts too. They look to be very practical and made of good material.

Thanks for "review".

Mipi
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

When I received my (original style) Macabi I decided that I didn't like the strap for the "shorts" option-the strap was too tight against my butt. So I shoved it to the back of a closet and forgot about it.

I have been wanting to experiment with something longer than knee length. Silly me, I actually had something on hand.

The strap, which isn't particularly long/large, unclips from the skirt readily enough.

Tried the skirt on a couple days ago. No, I haven't worn it out and about yet, Seattle was hit by a winter snow storm, and it is/has been snowy/icy here.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If worn unmodified, I would describe the original Macabi as a fairly narrow A line. The one I am wearing ends a couple inches above my ankles-with that length would it be considered a Maxi?

With nothing in the pockets the elastic is adequate for holding up the garment. Would use the drawstring if using pockets, which are adequate for wallet, keys, phone.

Of course, I feel like I am wearing more below the waist than with a shorter skirt. The skirt seems to hug my legs, but don't make my legs feel encased (and insulated from the world) as pant legs do.

I find that I can walk up and down stairs without difficulty-no need to lift the skirt with my hand.

If seated the long length of the skirt hides my crotch from the world.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Grok wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:33 am If worn unmodified, I would describe the original Macabi as a fairly narrow A line. The one I am wearing ends a couple inches above my ankles-with that length would it be considered a Maxi?

With nothing in the pockets the elastic is adequate for holding up the garment. Would use the drawstring if using pockets, which are adequate for wallet, keys, phone.

Of course, I feel like I am wearing more below the waist than with a shorter skirt. The skirt seems to hug my legs, but don't make my legs feel encased (and insulated from the world) as pant legs do.

I find that I can walk up and down stairs without difficulty-no need to lift the skirt with my hand.

If seated the long length of the skirt hides my crotch from the world.
Fairly narrow A line? I wouldn't call it narrow, the first one I bought is also long enough to occasionally get caught under my feet, I did buy a shorter one which worked better when I was sailing, being just short enough to keep from under my feet. I saw that they had introduced a newer less bulky version, presumably with a shorter hem, but haven't bought one, I like a heavier fabric whether khaki, denim or the soft stuff my skater skirts are made from, the Macabis just feel too like wearing a tent (from a fabric point of view). These days I mostly wear my Macabis when strimming (weed whacking) because the clippings clean off them easily.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I like the knee-length version they have, they're pretty indestructible and light to wear. I do wish they were a bit shorter though, I prefer above the knee instead of just below the knee.
skirted

Post by skirted »

I love my macabi skirts, have 2 of them just love them on a hot summer day, nice and cool. :D :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Original Macabi Skirt

Post by Grok »

Today was a relatively mild winter day in Seattle. Wore the skirt out and about for the first time. I am not sure how its length would be described in terms of MIS. Maxi? Ballerina?

This was the first time I wore in public a skirt longer than knee length.

Difficult to describe how it feels wearing it. You do get a sense that you are wearing something below the knee, but not in the same way you do with pant legs. When walking it feels as though the skirt is dancing (closely) around my legs.

I regard this skirt length as having considerable potential. :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:57 amI am not sure how its length would be described in terms of MIS. Maxi? Ballerina?
I have a "long" example, and on me that's a "midi". "Maxi"s are ankle-length of below, I haven't heard the term "ballerina" used relating to skirt lengths.
I regard this skirt length as having considerable potential. :D
Long skirts have vastly more potential and charm than many know.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:26 pm
Grok wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:57 amI am not sure how its length would be described in terms of MIS. Maxi? Ballerina?
I have a "long" example, and on me that's a "midi". "Maxi"s are ankle-length of below, I haven't heard the term "ballerina" used relating to skirt lengths.
If you were to tell me it was ballerina length I’d first think of a tutu.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

There is the Tutu, and then there is a long but not ankle length skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The long skirt is referred to as "romantic".
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:42 pmThere is the Tutu, and then there is a long but not ankle length skirt.
Here's a nice article on the matter: Tricky Hem Lengths. It also goes into some detail that applies equally to men and women. I managed to learn a few things from it, which I'll no doubt put to use and play with.
The long skirt is referred to as "romantic".
And tell me precisely what is wrong with the notion of "romantic"... I know, it's not "in style" for guys right now.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:03 pm
Here's a nice article on the matter: Tricky Hem Lengths. It also goes into some detail that applies equally to men and women. I managed to learn a few things from it, which I'll no doubt put to use and play with.
Nice! This is something I've suspected but never seen laid out so well. I suspect that the skirts/dresses I find look good on me have a good proportion. But I haven't gotten out a measuring tape to prove it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm 5'8" ( if I haven't shrunk a little as I have aged ) so I can now appreciate why I instinctively am staying away from the midi or ballerina lengths and I prefer either ankle length or knee and above. Interesting.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.