skirt slits part 2

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bareman43

skirt slits part 2

Post by bareman43 »

I recently aquired two skirts of the wrap style, one mid calf and the other just below the knee length. I'm finding the wrap style much more convient than I had previously thought. The length is good for cooler weather and the cut is fairly straight but the slit gives plenty of room for my stride without showing too much leg. I might want to add a pin to the slit about 12 " down from the waist if I was out in breezy weather, to minimise wind lift.
I have found ansuring the call of nature is much easyer and avoids lifting the entire skirt or trying to use a too short zipper fly.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: skirt slits part 2

Post by Since1982 »

Any "wrap style" skirt I've ever seen, including all the Pacific Rim and African renditions of the pareo, sulu, lava lava, sarong, tupenu, kikoy, kikoi, kain, or a half dozen other wrap skirts related to the sarongs go at least 1 and ½ times around the lower body. I can't imagine where a "slit" might be on one of those, since most of those have a lot of folded material at the front which gives plenty of leg room for running, cycling, leaping tall buildings in a single bound etc.

Kilts, which are wrap style skirts, also have an overlapping apron in front, bypassing the need for any slits.

Please enlighten me on which "wrap skirts" have slits and where the slits are. I'm always looking to learn new things. :?: 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

I think it's quite clear that Bareman is talking about the vent between the two flaps of fabric at the front. Vent, slit, gap, call it what you want, it amounts to the same thing.

Bareman is right, I think a wrap skirt needs a pin at about groin level to keep the skirt from flying open in the wind, or just to control the drape when sitting down for example. I always use two pins, right and left, for proper control.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

My favourite skirt for walking is a wrap that I bought at Fat Face a couple of years ago. It is fairly light weight and the apron will lift in a breeze, however there is sufficient overlap that it is unusual for it to show off any leg through the overlapping area. I have considered adding a press stud (snap) to the edge 8" to 10" below the waistband to prevent a flyaway showing off my underwear but it has not proved necessary.

I do occasionally add a weight to the corner of the front apron and this can help to reduce the lift of the fabric. I use a lead button (intended to help curtains (drapes) hang better), which I attach to the inside of the apron with hook and loop fastener that I glued to the weight and iron on loop on the skirt. The disadvantages of this are that it does not guarantee there will never be a "Marilyn moment" and sometimes the battering of the weight against my knee can become a nuisance.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
bareman43

Post by bareman43 »

Thank you Owen. I forget that some of the people here can be very specific when talking about skirt construction and design. I need to be more specific when I post.
Thanks,
Bareman