Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by ScotL »

Grok wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:39 pm Kilts is recognized as mens wear. If not even kilts are tolerated, you can be sure that other open ended garments won't be either.
Are they not tolerated? I’m not discounting what happened to Layne but are we throwing the baby out with the bath water? To judge all of Disney on one persons experience seems premature. I’m sure Layne got extra attention. Is that all of Disneys fault? Or is that the idiocy of a few guards who are closed minded and pissed cause their life hasn’t led them to where they think they thought they should be.

I have a feeling the first time any one wore a skirt/kilt to a place they aren’t normally seen, it attracts attention. That’s pushing the envelope. I want to thank Layne for doing it for the week. Things only change when a force acts upon it. One of Newtons silly little laws.
Layne

Post by Layne »

As I noted previously; I took no offense and did perfectly understand that the garment simply drew more attention. Pretty sure I have photos from that visit and will attempt to locate and post.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Pre-covid, I went to Disney World on a monthy basis, I live close by and they made the annual passes cheap for Florida residents. It was a fun place to go for a few drinks and a walk and to people watch. I wouldn't be so quick to take offense at being picked for enhanced screening. It's often random, but yes if you're wearing something that has extra metal or might be good for concealing a weapon then it's not unusual to be asked to go to the extra screening line. People get caught more frequently than you can imagine with a gun or a knife trying to get in to the parks. :shock:
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:09 pm Pre-covid, I went to Disney World on a monthy basis, I live close by and they made the annual passes cheap for Florida residents. It was a fun place to go for a few drinks and a walk and to people watch. I wouldn't be so quick to take offense at being picked for enhanced screening. It's often random, but yes if you're wearing something that has extra metal or might be good for concealing a weapon then it's not unusual to be asked to go to the extra screening line. People get caught more frequently than you can imagine with a gun or a knife trying to get in to the parks. :shock:
I specifically changed before going through airport security out of my kilt because I heard security worries there’s something hidden under the skirt. Not sure (hahaha) why they don’t do the same to the women but…
Layne

Post by Layne »

Personally, I’ve always considered that my right to wear what I choose in no way trumps a private business’s right to question it or even deny me service.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Layne » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:31 pm

Personally, I’ve always considered that my right to wear what I choose in no way trumps a private business’s right to question it or even deny me service.
I'm not sure a private business, serving the public, has any more right to deny service based on one's choice of attire than anyone else has a right to tell you how to dress -- it is just another means of enforcing conformity. However, even if I were to grant them that right; and perhaps so where security 'might' be a genuine concern, then the treatment should be uniformly applied, not selectively merely because your sartorial style differs from the norm.

I'd also venture that the guy wanting to hide a weapon would not elect to "stand out" by wearing a skirt!
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Someone should organise a group visit where we all show up to Disney resorts en masse dressed as Disney princesses.
Nunquam scienter normalis
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

lithaborn wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:21 am Someone should organise a group visit where we all show up to Disney resorts en masse dressed as Disney princesses.
You would not get in!
Disney has a policy that forbids coming to the park as disney caricatures. At least for adults that is. They control the gate and you would not get past the guard.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:49 am
lithaborn wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:21 am Someone should organise a group visit where we all show up to Disney resorts en masse dressed as Disney princesses.
You would not get in!
Disney has a policy that forbids coming to the park as disney caricatures. At least for adults that is. They control the gate and you would not get past the guard.
They do let little girls in their princess dresses in all the time. We would be denied but they turn a blind eye to them
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Well that's annoying
Nunquam scienter normalis
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

lithaborn wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:57 am Well that's annoying
It’s not the worst thing. We need little girls to be little girls and enjoy their childhood. Whether they would let a little boy wear a princess dress or not is a question.

Whether they would let an adult if any gender wear one May cross their line where they want to keep their control over their characters appearance. A Disney princess sporting a dead cow carcass dripping blood to advocate for veganism could affect Cinderellas brand.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:00 am It’s not the worst thing. We need little girls to be little girls and enjoy their childhood. Whether they would let a little boy wear a princess dress or not is a question.
I'm pretty sure if a boy wanted to they would not care, I'm pretty sure I read something recently about that very thing. I know they've recently updated the place on Main St. where you can get all dressed up to use more gender neutral language. If a parent wants to throw money at Disney to have their son get the princess treatment, they're surely not going to turn them away. :lol:

I really want to get a kilt made in the McDuck tartan for my next trip, whenever that might be. It would be a blast to do the Food & Wine fest at Epcot in a kilt.
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Out visiting National Trust properties today. I am going to wear a navy cord skirt, black tights, black shoes and a white blouse.
Layne

Post by Layne »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:01 pm
ScotL wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:00 am It’s not the worst thing. We need little girls to be little girls and enjoy their childhood. Whether they would let a little boy wear a princess dress or not is a question.
I'm pretty sure if a boy wanted to they would not care, I'm pretty sure I read something recently about that very thing. I know they've recently updated the place on Main St. where you can get all dressed up to use more gender neutral language. If a parent wants to throw money at Disney to have their son get the princess treatment, they're surely not going to turn them away. :lol:

I really want to get a kilt made in the McDuck tartan for my next trip, whenever that might be. It would be a blast to do the Food & Wine fest at Epcot in a kilt.
Did Epcot in a kilt just a few years ago - will find pics and share.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Today I ventured out to the High Street in my Incerun black dress (over a grey T shirt, with socks and trainers), feeling a bit nervous, but no problem. Had to vsit the optician and the supermarket, but no one gave a hint of having noticed.

Yesterday I wore a black kilt to Evensong, which gave rise to a nice chat about my kilt collection afterwards.