Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Kirbstone »

Great dramatic picture, AmE. The hat tops the outfit off a treat. Trying to place that view and need your info. where it is. A Lot of hills &c but no feature like for instance, the Matterhorn or the Great Wall of China in view.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Absentmindedeagle

Post by Absentmindedeagle »

It's on top of Bearwallow Mountain in western NC, south of Asheville. Always a good spot for a breeze.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Looking it up, that's a great lot of trails you have there. Bearwallow stands some 800 feet taller than our highest and nearly as high as Ben Nevis, highest in Scotland.
Latitude makes a big difference. At just 35-odd degrees North, that places it South of the S. coast of Turkey/Asia Minor, where it's hot as hell for much of the year. Hence your lush lawn on the top. Our highest are at Ca. 52 degrees N., which is a LOT chillier and the terrain is markedly more barren (Pic). No-one in their right mind would venture up there in a floaty skirt!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

In town yesterday and the phrase "dress code violation" drifted across the breeze. Whether it was a comment on my denim skirt, or just part of a conversation between two people, I don't know. But I thought "Yeah, perhaps I am violating the unwritten dress code - good, another poke in the eye for society!"
Charlie
(Who was accused of being 'one of the herd' by a teacher at school many, many years ago, and has been contrary ever since :D )
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Charlie wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:20 am In town yesterday and the phrase "dress code violation" drifted across the breeze. Whether it was a comment on my denim skirt, or just part of a conversation between two people, I don't know. But I thought "Yeah, perhaps I am violating the unwritten dress code - good, another poke in the eye for society!"
Charlie
(Who was accused of being 'one of the herd' by a teacher at school many, many years ago, and has been contrary ever since :D )
What is this "Dress Code Violation" ?
What happened to a "SKIRT Code Violation" ?
Who or what was violated in wearing the unbifurcated clothing ?
Was it something incomplete - incompatible - unimaginable ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:17 pm
Charlie wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:20 am In town yesterday and the phrase "dress code violation" drifted across the breeze. Whether it was a comment on my denim skirt, or just part of a conversation between two people, I don't know. But I thought "Yeah, perhaps I am violating the unwritten dress code - good, another poke in the eye for society!"
Charlie
What is this "Dress Code Violation" ?
What happened to a "SKIRT Code Violation" ?
Who or what was violated in wearing the unbifurcated clothing ?
Was it something incomplete - incompatible - unimaginable ?
Maybe they were just skirting the issue.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I can remember when certain establishments forbade the wearing of jeans or trainers.
Indeed, some places insisted on male patrons wearing ties.
In my own office the wearing of denim was not allowed in any form.
Charlie, I rather suspect that the comment was not directed at you unless you were somewhere that there was such a stricture?
I was out and about today and even got a compliment. "Quite dashing and handsome too". Unfortunately from an old acquaintance who is a cheeky chappy and not an eligible lady alas!
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:31 pmI was out and about today and even got a compliment. "Quite dashing and handsome too". Unfortunately from an old acquaintance who is a cheeky chappy and not an eligible lady alas!
Doesn't that often seem to be the case, although it's usually from a lass who's "already taken".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:15 pm Doesn't that often seem to be the case, although it's usually from a lass who's "already taken".
All too often Carl but I got another one today.
This came from a very pretty girl who is definitely not taken.
She loved my hat.
The pity is that it came second hand to me from her Grandmother,
Such good taste from a five year old was not what I expected today.
Grandma is very attractive but certainly not eligible.
Such is life.
Steve.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

The last 2 Sundays I've plucked up the courage to wear to church an Olive green "hiking kilt", bought in the Union Kilts closing down sale. Nobody died!
One friend asked if it was an army kilt, then asked if I was wearing anything underneath - groan!
Another queried whether it was actually a kilt and commented that he was "entitled" to wear one through his Irish ancestry. I pointed out that actually, anyone can wear one!
MOH seems to cope with me wearing the kilt but not with "skirts", mainly I think because she doesn't like wearing them!
Progress I guess...
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

The recent warm weather here in the UK has gave me the opportunity to break out the skirts again.
I recently visited a number of places in one of my denim skirts (just above knee length) including a local shopping centre, supermarket, DIY store and out and about on a walk and didn't really get the impression that anyone noticed me. To a certain extent i was expecting wearing a skirt to make me really stand out but that didn't seem to be the case. May have been to do with wearing a denim skirt?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Recently there has been more tourist traffic through my town than I have ever seen before. I am sure that it is people, mainly grey nomads, excaping the city COVID occasional outbreaks and restrictions.
Even in mid winter, I am out and about in a mini skirt and I do detect a few looks from the travellers. What makes me smile is that all the locals are so used to my attire that there is no reaction whatsoever which I am sure confuse the travellers even more.
The other day I was walking back from the Post Office and unknowingly walked into the frame of a photo a lady was taking of my Bond Store. When I saw her I appologised and she said it was OK. Perhaps a pic of a man in a mini skirt was a bonus.
I was wearing my usual work clobber as in "Dirty Work in a Skirt" but without the hard hat; download/file.php?id=13314&mode=view
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I finally have a decent out and about to report, with a picture, after all no picture, never happened, right?

I wore my denim skort to the fair with a family member. At first I was nervous as heck. Would she notice? Would others notice? Would anything be said? I did sort of play cat and mouse by wearing my denim skort. It looks like a skirt from front and shorts from the back. I intentionally tried to hide the fact I was wearing the denim skort from my family member, she has seen me in a kilt before, so I figured If I was unsuccessful, it would be less of a deal. I wanted to hide it from her, yet try to let others see my skort. I don't think she ever noticed throughout the night. In moments of insecurity I hid behind my umbrella. Figuring the umbrella would sort of break up the continuous hem line of the skirt. While I think a few people noticed, 95 % or more never took notice. Even in a few instances where I tried to get noticed, standing, facing them motionless In front of them. They did not notice. I feel still uncomfortable in a skirt around men. And would rather have a woman notice me.

One moment that really unsettled me, was there was a moment when two young children burst into a fit of giggles. When I was looking at a nearby display. They either had to be laughing at me or the scare crow display near me. The father came over verbally scolded them for the outburst, and made them rejoin their group. Once they rejoined the group they never looked back at me. I figure if I was the object of their laughter, they would have wanted to look at me again. In any case it was unsettling for a moment.

The rest of the night was uneventful and is the way I like it. I don't think my family member ever noticed my clothing choices. I did see one teen that had on a grey tartan skirt not a kilt. That initially mentally I said "boy" something about their stride??. (Can sex of a person be detimined by their walking stride? If there are no other external visual cues?) But then there was nothing else to base there sex on except for the skirt everything else was very androgynous about their appearance. I almost wanted to ask them about their skirt, but felt like that could be taken out of context. ( being much younger than me I didn't want to suddenly become the creepy dude in a skirt talking to teenage girls)
I saw one other skirt that I really liked. Actually There were a fair amount of women at the fair in skirts. However, The majority in drab denim, been attacked by a bear jeans.

I have a sighting in the wild to report also. I was not the only man there in a skirt. I saw a man in full fem gear. He was in a short floral dress and tights, high healed boots an a grey hoody, wig and light makeup.
His hight was the give away, he was head and shoulders above everyone else. Also he had male voice. He was with a group of mixed friends, they were all dressed to match their own sex. I thought about approaching them, but didn't know what I would say. I thought about taking a picture but then thought I wouldn't want my picture taken and should extend the same courtesy.
So there you have it, a out and about and a sighting in the wild in one.

I do look forward to your hearing thoughts on how to approach other men in skirts if you meet them in some sort of public setting. Or thoughts on sex detection only thru an individuals stride when no other external visual cues are Available.

Below is a picture of my reflection of me in a mirror of one of one of the 4 H projects. You can see my skort and my umbrella to hide behind. After dark it did start to rain and it was used to keep the rain off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Your attire is entirely unremarkable and shouldn't attract any derogatory comment. Looks good to me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 pm Your attire is entirely unremarkable and shouldn't attract any derogatory comment. Looks good to me.
I couldn't agree more Dennis but the key words are "unremarkable and shouldn't".
We all know that a fair proportion of humanity disapproves of our skirts and don't have the good grace to keep it to themselves.
Unfortunately, we just have to shrug that off and carry on regardless.
Not as easily done as said sometimes.
Steve.