Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Post Reply
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 am
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Faldaguy »

by Fred in Skirts » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:49 pm

COLD is a matter of where you live and how long you have lived there. I originally came from Philadelphia, Pa. and for many years after I moved to the South I was still only wearing just a shirt and no coat. While the locals were bundled up in heavy coats and sweaters. Now after 53 years I too bundle up at the first sign of temps going below 50 degrees F. Of course some of that is due to my old worn out body soon to be 78 years old. But most of it is acclimatization to the local conditions. But I do not wear tights nor pantyhose to me they are just trousers of a different style and something that is just not my style.
Gotta reply Fred, emphasis in your quote is mine -- because when we depart politics there is so much more agreement! :) Yes, I can understand leggings of various sorts for style, and even warmth -- but indeed they are just another version of pants, and if you are wearing skirts for comfort -- something does not compute with tights, pantyhose, etc.

Also like you, I've lived in cold climes -- based in Yellowknife, NWT for a couple years where -40F (which also happens to be -40C) is not that unusual. Those weren't skirt days thank goodness, but yes one can acclimate to some extremes; or loose their fortitude when we enjoy consistent warm weather. Right now it is "cold" here on our tropical zone mountain, maybe 62F (17C) and I changed to a long skirt when the sun was setting! No hosier, but warm memories of BBQ's and sea swims during Kiwi Christmases to add a bit of psychological warmth! So, maybe I just don't have adequate empathy for ye in the cold zones, but the inconsistency of "I wear skirts for comfort (pants aren't well designed for the male anatomy argument) and then adding some form of pants right back under the skirt??? :?
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by nzfreestyler »

Faldaguy wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:58 am
No hosier, but warm memories of BBQ's and sea swims during Kiwi Christmases to add a bit of psychological warmth! So, maybe I just don't have adequate empathy for ye in the cold zones, but the inconsistency of "I wear skirts for comfort (pants aren't well designed for the male anatomy argument) and then adding some form of pants right back under the skirt??? :?
A reference to Kiwi Summer ? Another Kiwi or you have spent some time here in the land of the long white cloud?
Certainly summer here is no time for hosiery - thats for sure.

I agree with your sentiments on hosiery in general - I get your point on the fact that ones legs are back inside another garment.

I wear hosiery in sheer formats only - like very sheer (7-10 denier) because for me its about adding a shade to my legs but still being my legs - but thats only if I feel I need to have a darker tone on my leg - like an evening outfit/ formal presentation or look.

I generally wear stockings rather then pantyhose for that reason of avoiding adding the layers back on under a skirt. I mostly wear hold ups but I also suspend. It really depends on a skirt hemline as what is appropriate for hosiery.

That might be an option for folk - try wearing stockings rather than tights/pantyhose. Opaque stockings in a 50 denier etc are available too - not suspended but as a stay up. From experience the comfiest hosiery option is definitely to wear a suspender belt and suspend because you can't feel your stockings, then is stay ups and lastly is the pantyhose/tights option.
User avatar
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1492
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, living here in Philadelphia where winter can be beastly, especially in January and February, leg coverings are a must for me when I go on outings. Depending on the temperature and when I plan to go, I can opt for tights as high as 200 denier if I'm going to be outside, or something considerably thinner if I'm inside, say at a mall, like 50 or less, then tights are more of a fashion statement than for keeping my legs warm. In my experience, I've never had anyone ask me if I'm cold when I'm wearing a short skirt, but yeah, it is odd for men in skirts to be asked if they're cold while that question is never posed to women. Can't figure that out.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
rivegauche
Distinguished Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by rivegauche »

I can understand why people like skirts but not tights, but at this time of year in N Scotland I like tights and tend to spend most of my time in 40d opaques. As tights go I prefer 10d or below just to feel the skirt and the breeze but only of the breeze is not perishing. I feel stifled in tights above 50d so 50d is my limit - as others have said you might as well be wearing trousers. One time I was shopping in a boutique wearing a longish skirt (no tights). I bought quite a short dress and decided to wear it out of the shop. The owner thought I was mad - not for being a man in a dress - but for wearing such a short dress on a day she thought was way to cold for it.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by partlyscot »

My opinion is that regular pants can bunch up. Tights, pantyhose, leggings etc, generally do not.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 am
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Faldaguy »

by nzfreestyler » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:25 am

Faldaguy wrote: ↑Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:58 pm
No hosier, but warm memories of BBQ's and sea swims during Kiwi Christmases to add a bit of psychological warmth! So, maybe I just don't have adequate empathy for ye in the cold zones, but the inconsistency of "I wear skirts for comfort (pants aren't well designed for the male anatomy argument) and then adding some form of pants right back under the skirt??? :?
A reference to Kiwi Summer ? Another Kiwi or you have spent some time here in the land of the long white cloud?
Certainly summer here is no time for hosiery - that's for sure.

I agree with your sentiments on hosiery in general - I get your point on the fact that ones legs are back inside another garment.
Sadly not Kiwis. Long term volunteers and visitors. We did seek to immigrate, but were declared too old, too dumb, and too poor by the guidelines. The lawyer we retained said our only option was to get divorced and marry kiwis! Perhaps it was not bad advice... :lol: So yes, we've been to Dunedin in July, Kaitia in December, and one of those Christmas BBQ's not far from you on the North Shore.

I was not skirted for the July conference in Dunedin lest I would have been following your advice on heavy stockings and more! But you may have spotted me traipsing down Mt. Eden Rd or in one of the coffee shops skirted. Given the amount of compression and friction from just jeans, I find the notion of pantyhose an oxymoron to the comfort argument. And a support belt seems another imponderable on the comfort scale, but perhaps stay-ups if available in lengths and weights suitable to the weather might be a good option, albeit I'd have to import them or find when travel is viable again as we don't have the comfort of a healthy public that ye do, in that bit of paradise where it seems synapses still function! :)

It still leaves me thinking pantyhose has to solely be a style or temperature choice, and for those who have converted for style, that is well and good. For me, it just doesn't 'fit'!
User avatar
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:39 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I almost always wear pantyhose with my skirts and dresses so that my characteristically male ... bulges ... don't break the skirts line. (That should pass the mods' standards, shouldn't it? :wink: )

In addition, I try to get hose with at least 15% Lycra/Spandex/Elastance so that they improve the shape of my legs.

Finally, as NZ pointed out, hose can add enough shade that I don't look like I never see the light of day or even color to my legs.

If all of those amount to fashion reasons; guilty as charged.

As to the comfort comparison of hose or leggings vs. trousers, here's the difference. While pantyhose, especially control top hose will compress your genitals, because it is a consistent and evenly distributed pressure, I don't find it uncomfortable. Whereas pants, when they constrict you, it's often on a sewn in seam or an induced crease, so the fabric is cutting into you and, well ... that's exactly what it feels like! (Check out the original, animated Duluth Clothiers ads.)

In addition, I REALLY LIKE when my legs rub against one another!

I hope that clarifies things.

Now, would someone explain to me why so many women HATE pantyhose?
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by nzfreestyler »

I'd always choose stockings rather than pantyhose because they are better just on your legs and not with the gusset/up to your waist piece.
The good stockings are almost unoticerable in terms of how the feel on your legs.

I might add though - I will choose bare legs first - before I consider hosiery anyway!

cheers
NZF
User avatar
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:39 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

To each his own.

I tried a garter belt and hose and learned it takes hips to hold the belt up, because the hose is trying to pull it down, and I don't have those. Hips, that is.

I once had thigh highs suggested to me, but I didn't think they'd actually stay up!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11924
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:42 am
I once had thigh highs suggested to me, but I didn't think they'd actually stay up!
I have a couple pair of those, and the ones with the silicone grips do actually stay up on my relatively straight legs. Ones without the grips can be dodgy as they're more like long socks than anything else, and I never could get socks to stay up properly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
Mike
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:46 pm
Location: Alto, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Mike »

I think the, "Aren't you cold" comments are because people are too afraid to say the word, "Skirt."
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by STEVIE »

Yup Mike that is definitely true or to put another way some folks just talk in case they actually have to start engaging their brains,
Back on topic, I was out and about in skirt and tights, my preference, yesterday. The elasticated waist of the skirt that it had served me for long enough and retired without warning. I avoided the embarrassment by the narrowest of margins, such fun at the dawn of a day.
Steve.
User avatar
Mike
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:46 pm
Location: Alto, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Mike »

Well I'm headed to Hilton Head Island, SC later today for a week. Nothing but skirts and dresses packed. Should be fun!! Driving this time, not flying, but I'll still be showing off my fashion!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
User avatar
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:59 pm
Location: Mishawaka, INDIANA USA
Contact:

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Mike wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:48 pm
Well I'm headed to Hilton Head Island, SC later today for a week. Nothing but skirts and dresses packed. Should be fun!! Driving this time, not flying, but I'll still be showing off my fashion!
Have a great time!! Post us some pictures of your trip if possible.


Adding this,
May be of interest, don't know if they allow yours, or how close it is to you. Saltwater hydroponics. https://chstoday.6amcity.com/saltwater- ... leston-sc/
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
User avatar
denimini
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 am
Location: Outback Australia

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by denimini »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:59 am
Now, would someone explain to me why so many women HATE pantyhose?
No. I can explain why one particular male hates pantyhose; such a hassle to have a pee.
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:59 am
In addition, I REALLY LIKE when my legs rub against one another!
My knees would knock before that can happen so I am denied that pleasure :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Post Reply