Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Post Reply
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2994
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well with the temps in the triple digits (F) lately. Yesterday I had to go and give blood to the lab for my doctor. After that I went to get gas and then to LensCrafters for my new peepers, Then on to Publix grocery store where it looked like the entire county had come out. And not a disparaging word was said anywhere about my choice of dress. I was wearing my olive green shirt dress at the time.
It seems as though the wearing of skirts and dresses by men is no longer seen as weird in my neck of the woods.
:thewave: :kiltdance: :laff:
Last edited by Fred in Skirts on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred :kiltdance:

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."


"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by nzfreestyler »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:13 am

I determined the owner of that truck took it right in stride, because he told his grumbling passenger, "Hey, at least we get to check out her legs while we're waiting!" He even gave me a warm, friendly smile as I walked back to my open-topped car.

Getting miss-identified can have its advantages!
Ah ha - that goes with the territory when you wear a skirt.. and I recall you wear heels too - which I find really draws more attention.

I don't get 'miss-identified' because I don't do make up and wigs etc... but I do find that everyone looks - and most often I get sized up I think - like the whole up and down my body thing. Its not that its special treatment because I am mixing my clothes - I think its just as any woman would be looked over in the same light. It just goes with the outfit.

Guys in a group of guys can be a bit pervy in the sense that they do stare (well a guy on his own can be too) but a group of them and the emotional maturity level can drop if that makes sense? I developed breasts years ago - I do feel that they stare at my bust - I almost always wear a bra - and I don't make any efforts to hide my breasts and don't feel I should need to - but they do look - and I know that my body is being sized up more often than not....

And I don't mind that - its just how it is. I think womens wear is more figure defining - and figure revealing - conversly can be figure punishing too - thats just what its like. But if you choose to wear it - you have to accept the good and the bad.

Its like being wolf-whistled at - is it a good thing or bad? I actually like it, its empowering.

Cheers
NZF
User avatar
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:39 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

To be clear, I have gotten a lot of compliments on my legs, but there are no other curves to my physique. Certainly nothing to look at.

I was a little surprised you find wolf whistles empowering, but I can see your point.

The one time I got cat-called it was frightening. I'm 5' 5" with a slender build and there were 4 of them and 1 of me. And they were persistent. Because I couldn't imagine what they wanted, I had less of an idea where it would end or how! When I got to my car they even blocked me in. One of them offered to detail my car, which I refused, and eventually they drove away.

The whole experience made me wish I knew of some organized effort to end cat-calling so I could make a donation. One night that started at my wine bar I did the next best thing. I fell in with a friend who had a whole crew of her friends with her an when we went off to a restaurant somehow the topic of cat-calling came up and the husband of a friend of my friend tried to convince everyone it's a compliment. I was probably in a better position than usual to dispel that notion because I was wearing my black leather mini ... and I can't accurately say what else, but you can be sure it was appropriate to the occasion of my wearing the black leather miniskirt! That must have given me extra credibility when I said I'd been cat-called once and it felt like ANYTHING but a welcome compliment! I noticed the ladies all nodding in grateful agreement.

The husband in question looked duly chastened and committed to not do THAT again!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1988
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by STEVIE »

"The Length Of My Skirt Is Not A Problem - Stop Making It One"
That is not a recent quote but it holds true today and will for an awful long time to come.
David must ask what is having your car "detailed"? It sounds destructive, not a matter of choice.
On topic, I have been catcalled too in the pre beard full cross-dress stage of my life and I was damn scared too.
Two drunk guys, deserted street and me. I felt anything but empowered and reckon that only a female would empathise that rather nasty sensation.
Fortunately, I have mainly experienced some good natured heckling lately and even that is rarer these days.
I even had a lady acquaintance offering to do any dress making alterations for me today. That actually did feel affirming as I believe that it was sincerely meant. However, that could also open up a whole new can of worms with Mrs K.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Fortunately I have never had any form of cat calls or other harassment. Almost nobody ever notices my skirt. I brought my truck to have something repaired and then went to pick it up, walked through the place, paid the cashier, walked back through the shop and got in my truck and drove away. I am sure no one noticed what I was wearing. There have actually been times where I have pressed the issue to see whether I have been noticed. If I have, no one has ever had an adverse reaction.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by partlyscot »

I've had what I think were whistles and catcalls, but very, very infrequently, and for the most part far enough away that I wasn't entirely sure they were aimed at me.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by nzfreestyler »

I suppose a wolf whistle - or cat calling is derogatory and offensive because it is such an open public declaration - but it doesn't phase me much - it can be uncomfortable because of how others have to deal with it - and awkward looking at other folk I approach or are in the vacinity etc

Its always more awkward at night - but I get the same treatment day or night - I generally don't go around any bad places in order to be safe, and as I mentioned earlier its really only a group of guys who behave so - on their own they're more reserved.

I had a bunch of jeers and several wolf whistles made at me (well I presume it was me - I never looked up at them) from guys a few floors up at the hotel I returned to yesterday afternoon. I am pretty sure it was me because I was dressed in body conscious styling and I was one of only a handful in front of the hotel foyer/reception area.

We've all got to cause at least one or two small car crashes in our skirts.... surely.

cheers
NZF
User avatar
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:39 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

My goodness, the more things change, the more they remain the same. We're still 2 people divided by a common language.

"Detailing" refers to having your car thoroughly cleaned and waxed inside and out. Included in a thorough detailing job is not only having the interior carpets and upholstery vacuumed, but shampooed as well. They'll not only vacuum the cockpit, but also the trunk. All the crevices of the wheels get cleaned, of course, but also the engine and engine compartment, plus dressings on all of the visible rubber parts (hoses, tire sidewalls, door gaskets, etc.) so the car looks showroom fresh, or better.

Where the term detailing comes from, I have no idea.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1308
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by pelmut »

Kirbstone wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:46 pm
Unlike Netflix I can't 'binge' and go on to the next episode, but I simply can't wait for the next bit of sludge-shoving...

Tom
Here it is:
CBAT01_6554s.JPG
More work on the sludge trap today  ..and proof that a skirt is just the thing for wet and mucky jobs like that.  The hem got soaked but I didn't even notice it until later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Dust »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:57 am
My goodness, the more things change, the more they remain the same. We're still 2 people divided by a common language.

"Detailing" refers to having your car thoroughly cleaned and waxed inside and out. Included in a thorough detailing job is not only having the interior carpets and upholstery vacuumed, but shampooed as well. They'll not only vacuum the cockpit, but also the trunk. All the crevices of the wheels get cleaned, of course, but also the engine and engine compartment, plus dressings on all of the visible rubber parts (hoses, tire sidewalls, door gaskets, etc.) so the car looks showroom fresh, or better.

Where the term detailing comes from, I have no idea.
I always thought that was because it is a detailed cleaning, or not simply a wash, but something that pays attention to all the details... Who knows. I don't think it doesn't always include all those things, but I don't often get those kinds of services.

Anyway, I had no idea it was a uniquely American term...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Dust »

I've been wolf-whistled in a utility kilt, by a woman.

It was at an official college function; an outdoor, all day party with kegs of beer and live music. Faculty and staff in attendance, so not too crazy, at least at midday, which this was.

Anyway, I think I was wandering around in a khaki utility kilt, off brand number, cause I didn't want anything happening to my one actual Utilikilt. Knee length, nothing that short. I'm not sure if I was wearing a shirt or not. I was in decent shape at the time but no gym rat. Full beard, too. Some friends and I were tossing a frisbee around.

My one professor's wife, who also taught a class occasionally, caught sight of me, and did the whistling. She knew me, but hadn't seen me in a kilt or skirt before. I was more embarrassed by the attention more than anything else. I think she did it mostly as a joke. I kept my reaction mostly in check, and let it roll off. But I still remember it a decade later for some reason.

Obviously a different dynamic from guys whistling at women they don't know. I try not to hang out with guys who do such things. However, if it had been a male professor and a female student, I doubt he would have dared to do such a thing, even as a joke. Students (male and female) talked very negatively about one one male professor, in part because he read and commented on girls' t-shirts in class. He finally retired just after I had a few classes with him. Such behavior by men seems rarely tolerated these days.
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11636
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:32 pm
I've been wolf-whistled in a utility kilt, by a woman.

[...] Some friends and I were tossing a frisbee around.

My one professor's wife, who also taught a class occasionally, caught sight of me, and did the whistling.
There are a lot of details in there, and I've elided most of them in this response, but here are a couple of observations, and why personally I would have cherished the moment.
  1. Frisbee games are non-contact and involve a lot of motion which shows a skirt off to fantastic advantage
  2. The wolf-whistle came from a colleague who knew you, meaning that
  3. it was not a lewd comment or worse.
I'd definitely tuck that in my pocket as a compliment.

Skirts move in ways that are alien to those who have only ever worn trousers; it's almost like they have a will of their own. It's all physics and aerodynamics, of course, but the way that they move "in action" can be truly compelling to witness. I still recall getting some stick from my late ex- when I bought a black pleated floor-sweeper and who didn't "get it" until seeing me one time at speed sweep around a corner -- and her jaw literally dropped. At that moment she "understood". In a highly-dynamic environment like a Frisbee game, a knee-length, or even a midi, could become almost a magical thing to watch.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I suggest anyone doing anything active such as bicycle riding, frisbee, running, walking, hiking in a skirt, to wear black underneath in case you flash. It is very unnoticeable.
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by r.m.anderson »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:14 am
I suggest anyone doing anything active such as bicycle riding, frisbee, running, walking, hiking in a skirt, to wear black underneath in case you flash. It is very unnoticeable.
An alternative to BLACK is to match the color or tartan of the outer wear and YES avoid white light pastel colors
unless you want to put on a show.
Also avoid radical abbreviated undergear that doesn't have sufficient coverage over the exposed skin such a cheeky display.
That or this is the beauty of the SKORT !
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 am

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Faldaguy »

RM Anderson & more of you say: That or this is the beauty of the SKORT !
What is this with skorts ? You'd be better off to wrap a towel around your short pants -- the comfort factor is lost. I've tried a couple and found they just restrict your leg movement and grab you at unexpected times and ways.

Regarding active games; I got invited to join the weekly volleyball game recently (I think they were desperately short of players) while wearing a light weight mid-calf full A-line skirt--it worked great even if I didn't. :) I don't think I'll get another invitation soon, but it won't be because of the skirt! That was a hit.
Post Reply