Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Tackleberry »

I don’t get the opportunity to get out much as I work nights now but as I’ve got 3 days off now so I went to our local shop wearing a black knee length denim skirt and not one strange look or any sort of look at all (our village is one of those where everyone knows what everyone else is doing and very typically Somerset :lol: ).
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Tackleberry wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 am ...our village is one of those where everyone knows what everyone else is doing and very typically Somerset
Part of my family came from Haydon [just up the road from Radstock, for the benefit of them what were never learned geography] and we used to say that my grandmother's religion was "What would the neighbours think".

If you have an up-to-date passport, you could have popped along to Paulton Basin last weekend and met our gang working on the canal -- I was the one in a skirt.  We had to give the sludge trap its annual clean-out and a skirt was much better than trousers for that job because you are liable to get soaked and a skirt doesn't wick water into your socks and boots.  After that, nobody would come near us; it was a form of anti-social distancing.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sludge trap? Ick!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

pelmut wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 pm
Tackleberry wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 am ...our village is one of those where everyone knows what everyone else is doing and very typically Somerset
Part of my family came from Haydon [just up the road from Radstock, for the benefit of them what were never learned geography] and we used to say that my grandmother's religion was "What would the neighbours think".

If you have an up-to-date passport, you could have popped along to Paulton Basin last weekend and met our gang working on the canal -- I was the one in a skirt.  We had to give the sludge trap its annual clean-out and a skirt was much better than trousers for that job because you are liable to get soaked and a skirt doesn't wick water into your socks and boots.  After that, nobody would come near us; it was a form of anti-social distancing.
Haydon, minutes up the road from Coleford :wink:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 pm Sludge trap? Ick!
CBAT01_6539s.JPG
One of our gallant crew stirring the sh*t with a tar rake.

I wore wellies (they look really nice with a denim skirt), so I was the one who had to wade around in that lot.  Whoever did the job last time had used stones instead of wooden wedges to jam the weir boards in place, so it took us ages to dismantle the weir and we had only half-finished the job when it was time to pack up.  Next month we have to clear the difficult bit in a tunnel just off the RHS of the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Unlike Netflix I can't 'binge' and go on to the next episode, but I simply can't wait for the next bit of sludge-shoving...

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Tackleberry wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:50 pm Haydon, minutes up the road from Coleford :wink:
...but a different accent.  I recorded and produced a talking book of the Jarge Balsh stories which are set in Coleford.  With my Haydon accent I was only able to give the reader a general guide to the pronunciation; then, to get it exactly right, he had to go and have a tutorial from the retired landlord of The King's Head in Coleford.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

pelmut wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:51 pm
Tackleberry wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:50 pm Haydon, minutes up the road from Coleford :wink:
...but a different accent.  I recorded and produced a talking book of the Jarge Balsh stories which are set in Coleford.  With my Haydon accent I was only able to give the reader a general guide to the pronunciation; then, to get it exactly right, he had to go and have a tutorial from the retired landlord of The King's Head in Coleford.
I like the Kings Head, I live almost opposite the Eagle and that doesn’t compare to the Kings at all...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

After a day of renovation work, I lit the fire, had a hot shower and was settling down to a glass of red ................ then the phone rang:
I had forgotten a dinner engagement and everyone was waiting for me to arrive before eating.
I surveyed what I was wearing, I had dressed for comfort, with a plaid, thick woolen mini skirt, long socks, a bright patterned woolen jumper (pullover) and a beanie, overall looking a bit like an ancient troubadour. Nothing matched but they were hungry, waiting. I exchanged slippers for boots and headed off in the car.

Comments on entering were:
"Gee you got dressed up"
and "They say you shouldn't wear vertical patterns with horizontal ones" ........ to which I replied "Well that is all the more reason to do it", which got a laugh, since I was breaking convention anyway by wearing a mini skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 amI had dressed for comfort, with a plaid, thick woolen mini skirt, long socks, a bright patterned woolen jumper (pullover) and a beanie, overall looking a bit like an ancient troubadour.
Nice!

In any event, it sounds like your friends were happy to see you. As is said, "Good on ya!"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I meant to post this earlier, but better late than never.

As I've said before, about a year ago I sprung for "Hair Club" so, to all appearances I once again have a full head of hair. Normally, that includes a monthly visit to a Club hairstylist who cuts and styles one's hair, updates whatever dyeing was done and when needed, about once every other month, replaces the permanently-attached hairpiece. By a chain of circumstances I wasn't able to see mine from mid-February until early June. Needless to say, the hairpiece was getting thin to the point of exposing bald spots and my natural hair was getting rather long.

Remembering my mother often told me that my "beautiful waves were wasted on (me)" because I'm male, I decided to see what my stylist, Summer, could do with them. To make sure she didn't get distracted by any contrary visual cues, I not only wore my typical dress -- in this case a silk Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress -- but makeup and enough padding to give me a noticeable bosom and bottom.

Everyone at Hair Club was used to seeing me in a dress, the other accoutrements didn't register so, I felt compelled to tell Summer to, "Make me as pretty as you can. And to make sure you didn't get distracted, I have on these other visual cues." She smiled, nodded and proceeded right on track.

When my service consultant came in to renew my membership, her only observations were on how much she liked my dress and how it reminded her of the ones her grandmother wore. I wasn't exactly sure how to take that, but I decided it was meant as a compliment and did my best to cover over my initial reaction of discontent.

Because I next had a doctor's appointment, I went into the Men's room immediately after my hair appointment to peel off all of the items that were meant to give me a feminine appearance and get me back to usual look of dress, heels and hose.

Consequently, the doctor's appointment without comment let alone incident.

On my way home, I remembered I had a check to deposit and needed some cash so, I went to my credit union's ATM. Coming up to the parking spaces (It's in a strip mall.) I saw that there was a very close space that was impeded by an electrician's truck that was encroaching on the driver's side of the space and another truck on the passenger's side that was right on the dividing line. Because my Miata is a small, nimble vehicle, I figured I could probably fit in there so, why not exert the extra effort to get such a primo space!

If I hadn't taken the space, it would have been a bit of a walk back to the ATM from the next available space, because all 3 of the machines were in use and there was a line of people waiting. Naturally, the driver of the truck on my left finished his transaction about the time I got to a machine so, he had to wait until I was done. Much to the chagrin of his passenger!

I determined the owner of that truck took it right in stride, because he told his grumbling passenger, "Hey, at least we get to check out her legs while we're waiting!" He even gave me a warm, friendly smile as I walked back to my open-topped car.

Getting miss-identified can have its advantages!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It depends on if you consider being looked over by a burly truck driver an advantage! Personally, I wouldn't have considered it so. I wear a skirt for my own reasons and one of them is NOT to look feminine or add "attachments" that emphasise the physical curves of a woman. Still, each to their own, I suppose.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

As some of you may remember, my wife is not fond of skirts and even sometimes grumbles at me "wearing a kilt al the time" (which is an exaggeration).

This Sunday we did our regular delivery of the service sheets then feigned home to prepare for the arrival of family in the evening. I simply swapped my formal trousers for the black kilt and set to on house work. We were still at it, though approaching the end, when the car drew up. So I welcomed the guests then swapped the formal short for a Pringle golf shirt (doesn't need ironing!) Nobody mentioned the kilt.

Monday was an unsettled day. Between showers (as we thought) we set off on foot for Prestongrange Mining Museum. Being Scotland, the rain soon returned in earnest and by the time de returned home we were soaked. Having surrendered our room to the guests, who needed to change, I had to don kilt and jumper from Sunday. Again no comment.

However, last night MOH went to our room to collect a few clothes for the next couple of days. Shorts appeared on my bed - a not very subtle hint! So shorts it was for today's outing to the lovely secluded beach at Seacliff below Tantalon Castle. Amazing how the wind still managed to locate us. Never mind. We had tea and a toasted teacake in the Buttercup cafe and got handmade pies in Why Not? The we stopped off at the Hopetoun Monument, walked the Tyne in Haddington before heading home. Dinner is about to be served as I type. Not sure if the kilt will make it out again this week.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:15 am It depends on if you consider being looked over by a burly truck driver an advantage!
A long walk that my wife and I like to do fairly frequently takes us past a transport café on one of the main trunk roads out of London, and we like to drop in for a take-away coffee. Today, we arrived a little earlier in the day than usual, and instead of finding the place empty, it was as full as the social distancing rules allow, if not more so. Suddenly I became aware that i was clad in a lightweight Purple Rain Adventure Skirt in a room full of lorry drivers and scaffolders.

Well, nothing at all happened, except that we left in due course with our coffees. It's been said here that the secret is to own your look and not worry about it. And that just seems to come with practice.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I was surprised the driver of that pickup truck mistook me for a woman, because I wasn't wearing any padding. Be that as it may, he did. And because he did he was more than happy that I delayed his leaving because it gave him just that much more time to enjoy how nice he thought my legs looked. Certainly an advantage over his getting bent out of shape about the inconvenience. A nd I'm quite sure he would not have been in such a generous frame of mind if he HADN'T mistaken me for a member of the fairer sex.

Is that clear?
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.