Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Kirbstone »

R.K. Certainly 'out and about' I would never comment on anybody's attire. I work in a very closed situation and receive a number of people each day, most of whom are old patients who I have known for a long time and their families, too.

By way of initial banter if they are particularly smartly dressed I will say that I'm honoured that they had dressed up like that to come and see me, or another comment: I suppose you're off to have lunch with Michael D. after this ?, meaning that they were dressed to have lunch with our President at Aras an Uachtaran, his residence in the Phoenix Park, Dublin.

The answer is usually that they were at work (Lawyers, Bank Managers &c) and are going straight back there.

I have just one lady though, who dresses flamboyant '50s style and makes all her own clothes, Every time she shows up here she has paid a lot of attention to her ensemble and likes me to comment on it.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:34 amMeanwhile, this leads me to another pondering: How does our own behavior or speech change?
I have found that overall I have gotten a little bit "softer" (as in gentler) over time, but that may just be part of the maturing process. I am slightly more outgoing and tolerant of others and slightly more gregarious. Has this anything to do with my attire? I absolutely do not know. But, I am happy with the result, and that's the important part.

If I see someone in something very stylish, I am likely to offer a compliment; I generally do not comment on grunge and trash-wear under the "If you can't say something nice say nothing" guidance.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Last night I headed off for a gig at the Barrowlands in Glasgow, train into the town, a lift, a meal in a chippy, the gig then back homewards, I wore my 12 yard kilt with black kilt hose, black shoes, T shirt and waterproof jacket because the weather was being very Scottish!
A good night, my ears are still ringing from being right in front of the speakers, Killing Joke are not a quiet band! Thanks to having bad knees I need something to lean on or sit on, the nearest I can find at that venue is a railing across the front of the stage that I can lean on. I even took ear-plugs, unfortunately I left them in the car! so my ears had a few hours of 115 dBa, which is not good!
All told, a great night, only spoilt by dropping my phone in my mates car and a fair bit of rain.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I agree that behaviour is important. I don't think I behave any differently in a skirt or dress. Heels (when I wear them) alter the walk slightly. As I am not 'out' to my colleagues or most of my friends I disguise my distinctive voice. I also agree that people who do not react in your presence will sometimes talk about you once you are out of sight/earshot but people do that anyway if there is anything worth remarking on - anything at all.

I am more ambivalent about the elder statesman thing. Yes, those of us who are in our prime have more confidence but young people have a much more relaxed attitude to gendered clothing.

As I have said before I sometimes do the whole thing and present in public as a woman - always in a dress or skirt, obviously. Plus make-up and wig. Then I change my body language accordingly, but within reason. Overdoing it would look silly. I haven't done this since November, when a lady friend and I went to an afternoon tea event based on fashion and style. She and I have a shopping trip planned for Monday and I will dress as a woman. Dresses will be tried on and no doubt purchased.
Paul

Post by Paul »

It’s been a little while since I’ve been able to venture out skirted as MOH has been off work sick with COVID , so now she’s back working on a late shift I decided to take full advantage and go shopping at my local Lidl supermarket. I decided to wear a black & white pleated checked mini skirt with black opaque tights. As before it was an incident free trip out, the public completely ignored me, I didn’t even notice any double takes or stares, people just walked past me in each direction. So obviously heard no comments either way. The nice checkout lady who always seems to work in the evenings and has seen me me dozens of times just treated me as normal, a great outings, just wish I didn’t have to do it behind MOH back.
Always happy when wearing a skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Falda, I'm not in the least bit pc but straight and direct and if I see someone particularly well attired I usually start with, "I hope that you take this in the spirit in which it is said and I would like to compliment you on ...." Never had anyone complain yet. As to the boots my wife is 4'10" and I'm 5'8" so adding another 2" for the heel makes me even taller than her but she hasn't whinged about it yet. She has said that the boots look good on me and as they are, to her, women's fare I will take it as some progress even though she is still "awkward" about the skirt in the open air. :(

Paul, I have been shopping in skirts and received the same reaction as you and you will find it typical so keep on keeping on. If only I could convince my wife of that reaction.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

A funny thing happened on the way through the checkout.
The young woman behind me was wearing an almost identical denim mini skirt to what I was wearing. As I hadn't shopped for some time I had a large trolley load and we were there for some time. She did not seem to notice or certainly showed no signs of it, although I did note the lack of exposure when she bent over her trolley ......... as I was having to do the same to grab the last few items.
In another shop I bought some socks and on the way to the checkout I saw some dark blue school sports skorts for $6 and found a couple sized for some kids that had been in a good paddock. I am not usually interested in skorts but they were 100% cotton and nice and short. At the check-out the woman said that she was thinking of buying some herself (methinks; for her daughter or ........... well she was a somewhat broader than I and I got the 2 largest sizes)

I tried them on when I got home and wished I had purchased more as they would be perfect for riding a bike or canoeing. The size 14 (girls) fitted better than the 16 and I could have also got the 12. I guess I could have tried them on in the store but it is a rushed day with 400kms travel and shorter daylight hours.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

This morning I was walking the dog, black knee length skirt, black tights and shoes with a gray polo shirt, the dog matched as she is a black greyhound. Talked to a women, who I see occasionally, about the greyhound, this women did not seem to notice the skirt, not even a glance downwards.

John
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

On the subject of compliments, received or given, can there ever be anything wrong with making someone feel a bit happier in these woe begotten times?
Guy in skirt gets known as Mr. Nice and not the Curmudgeonly Weirdo.
Maybe just another avenue toward acceptance and the subject needn't be clothes related either.
Steve.
steamman

Post by steamman »

I decided to go to next this evening to try on a couple of dresses. I’ve yet to find a dress I like, and the best way is to try them on in store. So, there was the conundrum of what to wear, but I was in the mood to be skirted and I pulled out my beautiful Monsoon chocolate brown suede skirt that has a slight fishtail to wear. It’s quite long, probably about 30 inches, but it’s fully lined and feels gorgeous on. Surprisingly, I bought this skirt a couple of years ago and never have had the occasion to wear it. I paired it with a check shirt and a pair of “Lita” platform boots with 6 inch heels. I am quite short, so I like my heels to be very high.

Anyway, got to next and had a good browse, but what was nice was how relaxed I felt in the women’s section because I was skirted. I found a couple of dresses to try on and what was nice was that one of the sales staff smiled and said hi, even better as it was a guy! Tried on the dresses, one was ok, the other fitted me like a tent. Neither wowed me so I didn’t buy either. However, it was a nice experience wearing my suede skirt, I felt gorgeous in it and there was a nice little breeze when I left the shop. Oh, how I love skirts!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I have a few answers to Faldaguy’s question.

Shortly after I overhauled my wardrobe I asked a friend of mine from church if she saw any difference in my behavior between before and after and she said that she hadn’t seen any, but that a mutual friend said I was “gentler.”

I’ve noticed I’m more outgoing and find it easier to talk to strangers in bars, grocery store lines, etc. Similarly, strangers are more apt to strike up conversations with me. Women often lead by complimenting one thing or another about my appearance or where I got one thing or another that I’m wearing.

I’ve also noticed I’m more upbeat and less prone to anger than I was. Much of this I attribute to the fact that I am now living more authentically and not getting blowback for it. Consequently, I’m happier and much more comfortable in my own skin and therefore more likable

Tonight, at my sports car club meeting I had a hard time getting seated for all of the women who were greeting me with hugs. Similarly, I had a hard time leaving for all of the women who wanted to be take a close look at my earrings. They were made by another member of the club. She had painted a tiny cast model of the same generation Miata as mine to match my beloved Ginger, added some Swarovski beads and connected with beautifully shaped stainless steel. I believe I drummed up some business for her.

Moving onto the subject of compliments everyone appreciates them so long as they come across as sincere And appropriate. Consequently, when I compliment a woman on her appearance or her outfit it’s well received. Well, almost always.

One afternoon I was doing some home repairs for a friend of mine. Naturally, I was dressed for the occasion (aren’t I always?), jeans, work shirt and work boots. When we stopped for lunch, my friend suggested we go to a nearby food cart park. One of the carts was a mobile bar. The bartender was a beautiful blonde in a gorgeous black lace dress. When I told that she was wearing a “great dress;” she gave me a look that very distinctly said, “And what would you know about that buster?! Don’t give me that crap! I know what you want!”

I suppose she wasn’t entirely wrong about what I would have liked to have come out of my talking to her, but the fact is, if I had been in a dress of my own, her reaction would have been entirely different. I can’t remember what the woman said, if anything, let alone how I responded; I just remember being amused by it all.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Wore this yesterday for day out at Edinburgh Botanical Gardens. Sorry not very good at posing - don't know what to do with my arms!
Jackie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Obviously the arms didn't have anything to do with the guillotine cutting your head half off ! LOL !

But any event you will pass muster but those legs don't match the color of the hands ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Thanks. Although very supportive, MOH isn't keen on posting faces on internet, hence the decapitation! And I never noticed before how pale my hands are. Maybe I should wear black gloves with this outfit!
Jackie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Jackie,

My suggestion for resolving the difference between hose-clad leg colour and that of the hands is to stuff the latter into pockets! I'm a lifelong advocate of pockets and where at all possible specify skirts so equipped ( see 'Personal stories' today)

Oh, and by the way, 'Enery the Eighff 'ad 'ees 'Ead tucked underneath 'ees awrm !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !