Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Paul

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Paul »

Sinned, all the sarongs I took with me were full length ones, but I do also have quite a few short sarongs that I love to wear in the sun, so light and incredibly comfortable.
Always happy when wearing a skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My sarongs, being an oblong of material, can be folded 3 ways - lengthwise, breadthwise and diagonal. The first produces knee-length, the second produces ankle-length and the third produces an interesting effect. I prefer the former because I prefer shorter skirts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Making this post to try and get some more discussion going even though it describes a bit of a non-event. Things have gone a bit quiet in the Café.

Went to shop at Brodie Country Fare, between Nairn and Forres in NE Scotland. I was wearing black opaque tights, a short dark green pleather A-line skirt. That was the easy bit, I wore loafers with a low heel, and the shoes made a VERY loud noise on the way in and were even louder on the wooden flooring in the shop. Even this did not generate the slightest reaction from the other customers or the staff. A sales assistant volunteered to take the dresses I had selected and put them in a fitting room. I tried on a few dresses and the staff were happy for me to venture into the shop to show them how a couple of the dresses looked. I bought two, and they were not cheap - this is a fairly high end outlet and one of the dresses was full price.

This all illustrates how completely accepted men in skirts or dresses have become in Scotland. It is still quite unusual to see a man in a skirt or dress but no eyebrows are raised despite this. I don't think that this being the country of kilts has anything at all to do with this - no one here makes any connection between kilts and the types of skirt associated with women.
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

Visited 6 charity shops in East Lothian today. Wore a tight fitting dark purple jumper over a short light coloured dress. Looked like I was wearing a mini skirt. No one batted an eyelid at the sight of a man in a dress rummaging through racks of women's clothing!
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:53 pm Making this post to try and get some more discussion going even though it describes a bit of a non-event. Things have gone a bit quiet in the Café.
OK, I'll bite.....

To counter that, I was on a quick walk on Sunday around a local hill, plus roads there and back, so around 7 miles in total. I was wearing a bright green hiking skirt and black tights, along with boots and a multi coloured jacket, so not exactly blending in.

It is a busy hill as the path is quite easy and I noticed several sideways glances, screwed up faces and even an aghast look from a middle aged woman, who was like a rabbit in the headlights as I approached her. Of course nothing was said and other people acted as if it was completely normal (conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected). I popped into a supermarket on the way home and the reactions were the same.

My own theory is that many people won't necessarily outwardly react, but are still amused, confused or bemused by a man in a skirt. That's fine by me; I don't much care and that's really at the heart of the matter. In the same way that I look at Goths, Emo's, Punks (yes, they do still exist) and other fringe collectives as being OK, but a bit odd, I suspect others give us (as a collective) the same leeway.

My other thought is that with so many fringe collectives in society, what is "normal" anyway and are we all looking at everyone else and smirking to ourselves, while everyone else smirks at us? Probably......
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

So I set off for my Spanish conversation class in the same outfit as last week, but without the kilt disguise on leaving the house. I had hoped to bet the last to arrive so that our tutor and my classmate would see and comment. I imagined an interesting discussion in Spanish. Alas the tutor was looking at her phone and the other bloke had gone to order some food. I’ll have to wait a few weeks until I can attend again. :(
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Bodycon wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 pm My own theory is that many people won't necessarily outwardly react, but are still amused, confused or bemused by a man in a skirt. That's fine by me; I don't much care and that's really at the heart of the matter.
Most people seem to just notice and then go on about their day, they have their own priorities and somebody dressed a bit out of the norm probably isn't in on the list of things they care about.

I moved to a rural area this year and have a few neighbors: they've only ever seen me wearing a kilt/skirt...they're still plenty friendly and haven't commented at all about it when we've chatted. Maybe they have questions but haven't asked, maybe they've just decided I'm a normal married guy who dresses differently.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:20 pmI moved to a rural area this year and have a few neighbors: they've only ever seen me wearing a kilt/skirt...they're still plenty friendly and haven't commented at all about it when we've chatted. Maybe they have questions but haven't asked, maybe they've just decided I'm a normal married guy who dresses differently.
I, too, live in a reasonably rural area and have only once encountered a negative reaction -- and that was likely alcohol-induced. Sure, there's some curiosity, but that's entirely natural, and I am quite open about my drivers -- and folks understand that immediately.

Thus my mantra of, "Don't slink about looking like you're doing something wrong. Stand tall and meet the world head-on and with confidence. People respect that."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My wife dug out some ankle boots that she had forgotten about which she decided were too big for her. They were marked as ( female ) size 6 and I'm a ( male ) size 7. She encouraged me to try them on and I was surprised that they fit and were really comfortable. Black, slightly pointed toe, zip to the outside and a 2" block heel. Well, I wore them coming back from the gym and my wife was complementary on how they look. I shall wear them out and about although walking in them is strange but at least the heel feels very safe. The other pair have straps and are also a good fit and I will wear. My attitude to footwear has skewed somewhat as a result.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:53 pm This all illustrates how completely accepted men in skirts or dresses have become in Scotland. It is still quite unusual to see a man in a skirt or dress but no eyebrows are raised despite this. I don't think that this being the country of kilts has anything at all to do with this - no one here makes any connection between kilts and the types of skirt associated with women.
Bodycon wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 pm My own theory is that many people won't necessarily outwardly react, but are still amused, confused or bemused by a man in a skirt. That's fine by me; I don't much care and that's really at the heart of the matter. In the same way that I look at Goths, Emo's, Punks (yes, they do still exist) and other fringe collectives as being OK, but a bit odd, I suspect others give us (as a collective) the same leeway.
I bought a new dress from White Stuff in Aberdeen on Tuesday, there was no awkwardness or problem trying it on in the shop either. Indeed, the assistant was quite thorough in her check on size and fit.
To bring the 2 comments together though, us Scots are mostly of a mind yours and I'll mind mine attitude.
Sure we notice, care and maybe even snigger, but in the final analysis, aren't really bothered enough to go further.
In my own little corner of the Gods' own Country, I still think that me wearing trousers now would worry more people than my more "normal" attire.
Maybe, familiarity breeds acceptance as well as the less positive aspects?
Do also bear in mind that my job puts me in full view of a wider cross section of people at any one time than you are ever likely to encounter in any shop. Surprisingly, the reactions there have been even less marked than on the street.
"Nowt queerer than fowk"!
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:20 amMaybe, familiarity breeds acceptance as well as the less positive aspects?
Indeed I suspect that is the case. There are plenty of people on this silly little rock that have only seen me wearing skirts -- and I am well accepted. The last time my lady-friend saw me in tr*users was in the late 1980s, and she accepts me unconditionally now (although that will be put to the test in a few weeks' time).

I really believe it's in how we carry ourselves and present ourselves as people in public that makes the difference. I think the world is "ready"; it just needs the right ambassadors to work the diplomacy. I also think it's likely to be the elders that lead because nobody is going to take the youngsters seriously.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:41 am I really believe it's in how we carry ourselves and present ourselves as people in public that makes the difference. I think the world is "ready"; it just needs the right ambassadors to work the diplomacy. I also think it's likely to be the elders that lead because nobody is going to take the youngsters seriously.
Hi Carl
I don't rightly regard myself as The Skirted Crusader but lets say I regard it as a work in progress with a focused aim.
The way I see it is that, we oldies are in a position to make things easier for those who may follow.
Equally, get it wrong, the opposite will occur and proper acceptance moves further from reach.
Now it is time for me to don the mantle and go forth.
Have a nice day!
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Sinned » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:40 pm

My wife dug out some ankle boots that she had forgotten about which she decided were too big for her. They were marked as ( female ) size 6 and I'm a ( male ) size 7. She encouraged me to try them on and I was surprised that they fit and were really comfortable. Black, slightly pointed toe, zip to the outside and a 2" block heel. Well, I wore them coming back from the gym and my wife was complementary on how they look.
Hola Dennis,

This strikes me as remarkable progress in spousal support. It may not have been a skirt or dress, but even a shoe (for which many women are especially cognizant) is a mark of acceptance and then the compliment really helps her 'own' participation in your style. Put this one down as a very good day! :D
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by STEVIE » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:20 pm

rivegauche wrote: ↑Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:53 pm
This all illustrates how completely accepted men in skirts or dresses have become in Scotland. It is still quite unusual to see a man in a skirt or dress but no eyebrows are raised despite this.

Bodycon wrote: ↑Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:15 pm
My own theory is that many people won't necessarily outwardly react, but are still amused, confused or bemused by a man in a skirt....
In the same way that I look at Goths, Emo's, Punks ...as being OK, but a bit odd, I suspect others give us (as a collective) the same leeway.

To bring the 2 comments together...
Sure we notice, care and maybe even snigger, but in the final analysis, aren't really bothered enough to go further.... Maybe, familiarity breeds acceptance...

As a full-time skirter (is that a word?) I've always found this thread a bit of a mystery to me as if "out and about" required some special effect, or affect?, to be worthy of print -- while for me it is just normal daily stuff. Yes, I am aware of my attire being out of sync with most, male and female, and as a self-appointed ambassador for MIS, I'm somewhat mystified and even disappointed that so few people take note, and nearly none comment :( : , because until they do I have no audience for my soapbox on MIS! :cheese: So, I guess we've just got to keep at it, breeding familiarity and acceptance.

Meanwhile, this leads me to another pondering: How does our own behavior or speech change? I'm not talking about the "slinking around" thing...that has been well covered [No need, don't do it] -- but do we change in other perceptible ways? I find myself less spontaneous in offering a compliment to people on their dress, especially women as it feels a bit like I might be seeking notice or complements in return; and I've not had much opportunity but have wondered if I would put on the boosters to catch up to a guy in a skirt to commend him. So, has your "out and about" changed your manner in public venues?
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:34 am Meanwhile, this leads me to another pondering: How does our own behavior or speech change? I'm not talking about the "slinking around" thing...that has been well covered [No need, don't do it] -- but do we change in other perceptible ways? I find myself less spontaneous in offering a compliment to people on their dress, especially women as it feels a bit like I might be seeking notice or complements in return; and I've not had much opportunity but have wondered if I would put on the boosters to catch up to a guy in a skirt to commend him. So, has your "out and about" changed your manner in public venues?
This is actually a really common question in crossdressing forums. There are people who go really overboard and adopt a completely different personality, complete with a name. But there are also plenty who don't, it varies quite a lot. Though most people do identify some change, if only minor.

For me, the shear comfort and freeness around the legs does make me more relaxed. I don't doubt this affects my behaviour, but it's not something I do deliberately. I don't bother with speech though. I don't offer compliments on people's dress at any time, so no difference there. Though it may be a cultural thing, because who comments on someone else's dress anyway?