Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Kirbstone »

Och Alastair, and you are the Brraive wee thaing! 59Deg. North ! That must be nearing the Magnetic North Pole.....

Together with 1959 and 1976, 2018 will be remembered here as seriously long, dry & hot. We've masses of wilting schiveled raspberries with not one worth picking, alas. Zero rain for nigh-on two months now and afternoon temps daily between 26 and 34 deg. Centipede. Now 26 is OK, but 34 is just Toooo Dorn-hot!

Next Sunday I have volunteered to enter the aquatic Collisseum down near Cork (52 deg N !!!) to do gladiatorial battle with other former young-bloods, now seriously geriatric, but still able to stagger down to the water's edge with a single sculling boat (pic). This will once again be a 3-hour drive, boat assembly & deployment, a 4-minute race as enjoyable as banging yer 'ead against a wall, boat back on the roof again and a further 3 hours home.

Tell me I'm mad, but out there I'll start off against 7 other eejits just like myself! I'll drive there & back miniskirted of course.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Kirbstone wrote:Och Alastair, and you are the Brraive wee thaing! 59Deg. North ! That must be nearing the Magnetic North Pole.....

Together with 1959 and 1976, 2018 will be remembered here as seriously long, dry & hot. We've masses of wilting schiveled raspberries with not one worth picking, alas. Zero rain for nigh-on two months now and afternoon temps daily between 26 and 34 deg. Centipede. Now 26 is OK, but 34 is just Toooo Dorn-hot!

Next Sunday I have volunteered to enter the aquatic Collisseum down near Cork (52 deg N !!!) to do gladiatorial battle with other former young-bloods, now seriously geriatric, but still able to stagger down to the water's edge with a single sculling boat (pic). This will once again be a 3-hour drive, boat assembly & deployment, a 4-minute race as enjoyable as banging yer 'ead against a wall, boat back on the roof again and a further 3 hours home.

Tell me I'm mad, but out there I'll start off against 7 other eejits just like myself! I'll drive there & back miniskirted of course.

Tom
You must be mad!! Sounds like fun.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Tell me I'm mad, but out there I'll start off against 7 other eejits just like myself! I'll drive there & back miniskirted of course.
Row it in your mini, Tom, and don't tell me you aren't tempted or don't have the cubes to tell off your compatriots.

Whatever the attire, row for the life of ya (within reason) and go home as the triumphal warrior!

By the by, of course you're mad -- utterly. Keep it up, though, and keep alive! We'd miss the alternative.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:... or don't have the cubes
Cubes? If that means what I think it means, then I have to say, if mine were "cubes", I would certainly wear a skirt as I would imagine trousers would be most awkward.... :lol:

I will put this slogan in my pocket and save it for another day...! :twisted: :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

A rare shot of me in town as I was there with a friend who has a smart phone, unlike me. Usually when I go to town in the daytime I dress down a little but today I didn't bother to change..... and.... hardly a glance from anyone, at least, not that I noticed.
civiccentreca.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,

During such activity skirts are Totally out. Balance & speed are of the essence and near skin-tight apparel is universal.

The attached was taken in Seville, Spain at 1.40PM in 45 deg. dry heat. Too-dorn hot for us Irish.
Iffy pic. quality as it's a scanned photo. Original is with the photographer.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:The attached was taken in Seville, Spain at 1.40PM in 45 deg. dry heat. Too-dorn hot for us Irish.
I always love the photographs -- great stuff. 45 is too hot for most of us; I suspect even Anthony doesn't much like it. I'd be looking for shade in a right proper hurry!

You might be able to get away with a short skirt, but it would cause some sideways glances. The short stuff doesn't tend to get in the way all that much like the longer stuff can. However, given the seagull's-eye view, I can see why a short skirt might not be recommended. There are places that don't need to get sunburnt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

A personal record for me--over a week without wearing pants (not including weeks at nudist resorts). Grocery stores, hardware stores, restaurants, Great Falls Park, Kenilworth Aquatic gardens, church, biking miles to different locations in the DC area, etc, all wearing above the knee skirts. These are blue denim, khaki, and camouflage, with a fly, belt, and standard pockets. I didn't notice anyone paying attention to the skirts, even in the parks full of people with cameras. My current "job" is taking care of my elderly mom, so I'm with her, my wife, my brother & sister-in-law, most of the time. Maybe I'll get a few pictures up later from the parks.
kidme

Post by kidme »

flew back home from Denver to Singapore, wearing a simple baby blue blouse (looks like a shirt) and a ankle length skirt - still presenting 100% masculine. Was with my colleague throughout - 2nd time he sees me skirted - he had problems putting a term to the skirt - asking me to be careful with the "thing" at the escalator.. It was more than 24 hours door-to-door, with a layover at SFO during peak hours.

The body scanner did pick up something at my hip, resulting in a simple pat down. The male TSA during pat down just smile and ask me "no pockets?" - which I nod my head and he waved me off. Not sure what triggers the scanner, as I had no pockets and no metal on me.

Didn't take any photo, it just reminds me of some kind religious attire...

Although this ankle length skirt is more comfortable than pants, denim skirt or the mini athletic skirt, it is not very practical on the plane, especially during visits to the lavatory. I guess that explains we don't see much women wearing long skirts despite being comfortable. Maybe I will go back to track pants on the next trip...

In conclusion, definitely no issue traveling skirted - as long as it is a decent presentable attire, carry oneself confidently, as a fashion forward man.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I use to fly from Augusta Ga. to Denver Co. to see my daughter all of the time and always in a skirt. I never had any problems with TSA or any body else. Now my daughter is moving to Omaha Ne. and I will be flying out there to visit with her. I have always had a great time on the airplane with the flight attendants because of the skirts, it seems like I received better treatment from them that when I was in pants. Traveling is skirts is so comfortable and enjoyable that we should all try to do it. It's so easy too!! :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

kidme wrote:...The male TSA during pat down just smile and ask me "no pockets?" - which I nod my head and he waved me off. Not sure what triggers the scanner, as I had no pockets and no metal on me...
That may have been it. A man with no pockets or nothing in his pockets might be unusual enough to be suspicious.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

kidme wrote:Although this ankle length skirt is more comfortable than pants, denim skirt or the mini athletic skirt, it is not very practical on the plane, especially during visits to the lavatory. I guess that explains we don't see much women wearing long skirts despite being comfortable.

I have done this and I don't see the problem. Lift up your skirt, keeping it clear of the toilet if it is not very clean, and do your business. Where's the impracticality?

Often the AC is turned up a bit too high on planes so you get rather cool in shorts. A long lightweight skirt solves the problem.

And of course you're confined enough in an aeroplane seat: why confine yourself even worse in trousers?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just came home had to go to the local IRS office to file some business returns. Had about a 30 minute wait which wasn.t too bad. Wore a denim skirt. There were 5 women in the waiting room one in a dress and surprisingly 2 in skirts. One of them kept looking at my skirt. I think she was pissed I had nicer legs and my skirt was shorter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is crazy please Understand my thought pattern. Here I am, ME, Dan, myself, actually sitting in the middle of a government office wearing a skirt. To the members of the café going back do any of you think this could ever happen

We are out in public wearing skirts
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was in an insulin awareness seminar in a skirt with several others and nothing was said.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Six nights and days in hospital which was not planned.
No trousers no problem.
I actually gained some minor interest too.
The message goes on.
Steve.